Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US westbound fuel stops (Late Dec 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by jp12687
Flying on united 746 which was EWR-LAS on a 757 which now has a fuel stop in Dallas..

confused why a 757 even with high winds can’t Make it to Vegas without a stop? Flown 757 west from Europe with high winds all the time…
LAS doesn't have any viable alternates anywhere nearby. It's LAX/ONT/SAN, PHX, SLC or RNO. All these don't have good weather tonight.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by jp12687
Flying on united 746 which was EWR-LAS on a 757 which now has a fuel stop in Dallas..

confused why a 757 even with high winds can’t Make it to Vegas without a stop? Flown 757 west from Europe with high winds all the time…
Well, premerger CO was pretty notorious for occasionally needing fuel stops in Canada or Bangor for its extensive 757 fleet especially during winter flights from Europe to EWR. It was notorious to the UA crowd because UA only used widebodies from Europe not susceptible to this scenario.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Well, premerger CO was pretty notorious for occasionally needing fuel stops in Canada or Bangor for its extensive 757 fleet especially during winter flights from Europe to EWR. It was notorious to the UA crowd because UA only used widebodies from Europe not susceptible to this scenario.
Two relevant facts:

1) CO was flying to secondary/tertiary cities in Europe with 752s (generally all in the British Isles) that pmUA didn't fly to.
2) pmUA never had a narrowbody a/c that could fly TATL anyway.

Last edited by JimInOhio; Dec 27, 2021 at 8:22 pm
Old Dec 27, 2021, 8:16 pm

I was curious about UA 2477 on 12/27, because a family member is on the flight. It shows the scheduled (and eventually in flight with a delay) route EWR-SMF, and then lists segments EWR-MSP and MSP-SMF as canceled (with the originally scheduled EWR departure time). Does this mean they were planning (or thinking they might need) a refueling stop at MSP, and then decided they didn't need it? The other oddity is that it shows MSP-SMF as a 22-minute flight.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by rove312
I was curious about UA 2477 on 12/27, because a family member is on the flight. It shows the scheduled (and eventually in flight with a delay) route EWR-SMF, and then lists segments EWR-MSP and MSP-SMF as canceled (with the originally scheduled EWR departure time). Does this mean they were planning (or thinking they might need) a refueling stop at MSP, and then decided they didn't need it? The other oddity is that it shows MSP-SMF as a 22-minute flight.
That's probably a good explanation. Flight is currently (10:19 PM EST) as over Lake Superior
Old Dec 27, 2021, 8:32 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by rove312
I think it was originally scheduled as a 737-800 but it is operating with a 737-8 MAX. They may have switched from the 737-800 to the 737-8 MAX in order to be able to make the trip non-stop as the 737-8 MAX has a significant lower fuel burn rate than the same-sized 737-800.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Two relevant facts:

1) CO was flying to secondary/tertiary cities in Europe with 752s (generally all in the British Isles) that pmUA didn't fly to.
2) pmUA never had a narrowbody a/c that could fly TATL anyway.
I was on a CO 752 to/from Stuttgart.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I was on a CO 752 to/from Stuttgart.
Glad it made it.

David
wxguy, FriendlySkies and truncated like this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 7:04 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Currently in the air on UA354 BWI-(STL)-SFO and they are hammering the message that this is due to strong headwinds, that any airline operating a 738 would have the same problem so it's not unique to United, blah blah blah. I think at this point the GAs mentioned it twice before boarding (saying it was either this or VDB 30+ pax), FAs during boarding, and the pilots at least twice now.

I get that they're probably keen to ward off complaints proactively, but it's getting a bit tedious

​​​​​​
PotomacApproach and findark like this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Zorak
Currently in the air on UA354 BWI-(STL)-SFO and they are hammering the message that this is due to strong headwinds, that any airline operating a 738 would have the same problem so it's not unique to United, blah blah blah. I think at this point the GAs mentioned it twice before boarding (saying it was either this or VDB 30+ pax), FAs during boarding, and the pilots at least twice now.

I get that they're probably keen to ward off complaints proactively, but it's getting a bit tedious

​​​​​​
Sorry for the personal annoyance but some may say that’s effective communication.

Not trying to step on toes here but most travelers are oblivious with the nuances and technical limitations involved with flying.

As a pilot I will tend to over communicate rather than leave pax in the dark on what’s happening. Maybe I’m overdue, but I’ve never gotten a passenger complaint about giving too much information over the PA.

Last edited by clubord; Dec 29, 2021 at 7:37 pm
Old Dec 29, 2021, 7:34 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by clubord
Sorry for the personal annoyance but some may say that’s effective communication.
Oh, I don't doubt that there will be somebody who missed the first four announcements and heard the fifth one, or someone who missed/ignored all five... still though...
Daze, DELee, clubord and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 6:19 pm

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
I was on UA1742 IAD-SFO (Dec 25th) and we needed to make a fuel stop in Denver because the plane was fully booked and overweight for the distance. Did not enjoy the extra 1.5hrs on the plane.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 10:03 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Weather models still showing crazy 200 mph jet stream over southern Iowa and Nebraska. But looks like pattern shift is coming over the next week that will knock this back under 100 mph.

https://weatherstreet.com/models/gfs...d-forecast.php
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
UA 686 yesterday (12/31)

Anyone in a position to know what happened? Nonstop IAD-SAN diverted to MCI after first noting a diversion to Omaha. Continued on to SAN.

i wound up taking a later flight…curiosity only.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by cmculp
Anyone in a position to know what happened? Nonstop IAD-SAN diverted to MCI after first noting a diversion to Omaha. Continued on to SAN.

i wound up taking a later flight…curiosity only.
Probably due to strong headwinds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.