Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The UA Frequent Flyer Quiz Thread: Where Is This?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The UA Frequent Flyer Quiz Thread: Where Is This?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2021, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
On a photo forum I used to participate in there was a "where in the world" thread - if you guessed the place correctly it was your turn to post . . .and on it went.

Might be fun to turn this into that - just need a rule like something in the photo makes it uniquely a given airport even if it's subtle.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
LAX gate 75A
Old Dec 23, 2021, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcdtcd
LAX gate 75A
I agree!
Old Dec 23, 2021, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
LAX gate 75A
Originally Posted by fumje
I agree!
Uh, not quite:

David

p.s. for those who've shopped in that Hudson News, you may not have realized how enclosed that store is vs. the full ceiling height in the terminal
Old Dec 23, 2021, 1:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Not my picture, but a friend posted a "guess what airport I'm in" on FB a while back, and I got it immediately (as I'm sure many on here would) based on this part of the image (rest of selfie cropped out)

Old Dec 23, 2021, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Zorak
Not my picture, but a friend posted a "guess what airport I'm in" on FB a while back, and I got it immediately (as I'm sure many on here would) based on this part of the image (rest of selfie cropped out)

ORD based on signage.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I just want to say I love the idea of this thread!
econ likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 6:11 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by econ
ORD based on signage.
Yeah, ORD connector between B and E/F...that Sushi(?) place near E1 (or is that F1... the 'oh there's some space for a gate we haven't used even though it makes no sense for a gate' closest to AA's gates)
Old Dec 23, 2021, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
73 seems too obvious but it has to be 73 or 72A based on the curvature
Correct. But why? There's a specific reason why the curvature doesn't work for 72A and/or 72B.

David
Old Dec 23, 2021, 6:20 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DELee
Correct. But why? There's a specific reason why the curvature doesn't work for 72A and/or 72B.

David
It's one of the few remaining signs of UA's original satellite at LAX from the 60(?)s -- before there was an above ground connection between the gates and the main terminal or the odd square tumor on the other side (it's somewhat obvious from a satellite photo for anyone who is interested) -- the curves at the other end don't have gates and are less pronounced (if you can even still see them after the latest renovation) -- so the exterior wall at the right of the frame really limits the options.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's one of the few remaining signs of UA's original satellite at LAX from the 60(?)s -- before there was an above ground connection between the gates and the main terminal or the odd square tumor on the other side (it's somewhat obvious from a satellite photo for anyone who is interested) -- the curves at the other end don't have gates and are less pronounced (if you can even still see them after the latest renovation) -- so the exterior wall at the right of the frame really limits the options.
Good point. Also, had the shot been taken for 72B looking north and west, while the curve would have been correct, the Rolling Stone restaurant would have been prominently been featured instead of the shoe shine stand.

David
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Additionally, to highlight what lincolnjkc notes, here's some shots posted to the What's to become of LAX for United post-COVID19? thread that show the United Air Lines Satellite 7 Building, its windows and curvature:

Remember, that in the early 60's jet age, one had to take the underground tunnel to go from the T7 counters:

...to Satellite 7:

Also credit to original airporthistory.org article where the photos originated online - and, of course, to the LAX Photo Archves.

One other shot from the airporthistory.org article of then LAX Satellite 7 and the Terminal 7 building:

Also note how smoggy it was even down at LAX in 1961 - that's El Segundo to the south through that stuff.

David
Old Dec 23, 2021, 6:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
This is probably my favorite United-related shot this year, and it has nothing to do with the message on the T-shirt:

Uh, not quite:

David

p.s. for those who've shopped in that Hudson News, you may not have realized how enclosed that store is vs. the full ceiling height in the terminal
I was going to call gate 73 before the answer was revealed, as I stared at the shoe shine station waiting for my redeye out of gate 75A.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTahCha
This is probably my favorite United-related shot this year, and it has nothing to do with the message on the T-shirt:

So, any comments about the shot and/or hints about where a UA frequent flier might have been part of this event/happening?

I was going to call gate 73 before the answer was revealed, as I stared at the shoe shine station waiting for my redeye out of gate 75A.
As was my early AM redeye the evening I took the shot(s). Next time gotta post a reply.

David
Old Dec 23, 2021, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
So, any comments about the shot and/or hints about where a UA frequent flier might have been part of this event/happening?
JFK return - inaugural
PTahCha and DELee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.