FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

PDB back! On my flight at least.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2023, 3:29 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Lucky the Captain didn't come have a "discussion" with you...
Actually, he did. Another discussion for another time.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
It is the inconsistency

2/16 SAN-SFO - offered water or sparkling wine. Another pax requested a beer was told not until we were in the air. I had water
2/16 SFO-LAS. Nothing offered. Flight had been delayed but so was SAN-SFO - same aircraft. FAs standing around and chatting so no rhyme or reason why no PDB
2/19 LAX-SAN Whatever I wanted as a PDB. I had sparkling water and others had vodka sodas. Aircraft left early.
Inconsistency again!

3/6 SAN-SFO Water or sparkling wine
3/7 LAS-LAX Water or sparkling wine
3/7 LAX-SAN Nothing. Same exact flight as 2/19 except obviously not the date. Nada. Nothing in flight which admittedly is very short but 2/19 drinks were offered during flight.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Inconsistency again!

3/7 LAX-SAN Nothing. Same exact flight as 2/19 except obviously not the date. Nada. Nothing in flight which admittedly is very short but 2/19 drinks were offered during flight.
SkyWest?

David
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL 3MM DM / UA 1K / AC 75K / F9 100K / Hilton Diamond / Marriott Platinum / Hertz Presidential
TUS-DEN 7M9. Nada. Boarded 40 min before. 2 FA in forward 1L/1R. Someone hit their call button ahead of me, never noticed by anyone. Took seat mate flagging down FA to get sport coat hung.

Wildly inconsistent. Lack of pride, care. Poor training. Negative influence of "last line of defense" Sara.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Does UA still serve full PDBs?

I haven't flow UA much since Covid, but each of my flights they offer sparkling wine or juice. Nothing more. Is this the new normal or FAs simplifying their service? I asked for something else, leaving DEN and was told to wait. And then of course the pilot made the announcement asking Flight attendants to stay seated.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seacarl
Does UA still serve full PDBs?

I haven't flow UA much since Covid, but each of my flights they offer sparkling wine or juice. Nothing more. Is this the new normal or FAs simplifying their service? I asked for something else, leaving DEN and was told to wait. And then of course the pilot made the announcement asking Flight attendants to stay seated.
It is a crapshoot. The standard is offer Prosecco or juice/water. The guideline is accommodate other requests. The typical is all
over the place.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by fumje
It is a crapshoot. The standard is offer Prosecco or juice/water. The guideline is accommodate other requests. The typical is all
over the place.
Thank you for explaining. Pre-Covid, my recollection is that UA was pretty good about offering a full choice. I've mostly been flying Alaska where you get a box of water and 1 out of 20 flights a limited offering. I thought UA was still doing full PDBs. I guess not (really)
Old Mar 11, 2023, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seacarl
Thank you for explaining. Pre-Covid, my recollection is that UA was pretty good about offering a full choice. I've mostly been flying Alaska where you get a box of water and 1 out of 20 flights a limited offering. I thought UA was still doing full PDBs. I guess not (really)
Yeah pre-pandemic was better, usually proper pdb. Kirby used cv to axe the offering. So now it is total unknown. Sometime you get crew like my ordewr who did absolutely nothing. Sometimes you get crew like my iadiah who proactively did old style whatever you like 👍👍. Best to board with fruit machine mindset.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by fumje
over the place.
Is there any documentation/writing where the guideline is published?
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Mar 13 EWR-YYZ 5pm (E175)

No PDB
FA announced that they'd be serving H2O only in Y b/c of "turbulence" (maybe 5 mins of very light chop)
No snacks on offer, had a G&T, when I asked for a refill, FA grumpily said the service was over 30 mins before landing but grudgingly brought another.

Disappointing.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by entropy
Mar 13 EWR-YYZ 5pm (E175)

No PDB
FA announced that they'd be serving H2O only in Y b/c of "turbulence" (maybe 5 mins of very light chop)
No snacks on offer, had a G&T, when I asked for a refill, FA grumpily said the service was over 30 mins before landing but grudgingly brought another.

Disappointing.
Which UX carrier?

David
Old Mar 14, 2023, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
March 7 EWR MCO - 737max 8. No PDB. Inbound either on time or early (cant remeber after 7 days in the RItz pool in Orlando). , boarding on time. Nothing. They stood and chatted for 20 minutes doing nothing.
March 14 - MCO EWR - 737 Max 8 830ish departure, PDB water, or prosecco. late in bound, decent service in the air. Have to save the new preorder beef with broccoli was positively disgusting. The beef was indefinitable. On the other hand the outbound preorder new meal of glass noodles, with chilled beef, etc, was rather good.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hurnik
Is there any documentation/writing where the guideline is published?
Not public. So there isn't something you can point to if, say, you get intransigent crew. Sad that it's even worth considering.
hurnik likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 3:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
3/14 UA 768 RDU-EWR A-319: Water or Sparkling Wine
3/14 UA 2344 EWR-MSP 737-MAX8: No PDB
Old Mar 15, 2023, 6:00 pm

Programs: Star alliance Gold, United 1K
No PDB on my flight on March 13, 2023, from IAH to Narita and said they had a catering issue. The food in Polaris paled in comparison to ANA’s on the 7-hour connecting flight into Singapore.

FWIW, the flight was UA 7 and I was serenaded in seat 10A by two crying babies, one across the aisle and the other in row 11, most of the 13 hour flight.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 15, 2023 at 6:13 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.