Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
UA PDB Experiences {Archive}

Well folks, good news today--

Official: United Airlines Restores Glassware, Pre-Departure Beverages

(link to my blog)

I had no idea this announcement was coming when I published my story yesterday, though AA's re-introduction was a good indication that United would soon match.

I'm sorry to our friends here who hate the prospect of drinking from a real glass. I'm sure plastic will still be available upon request.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I'm sorry to our friends here who hate the prospect of drinking from a real glass. I'm sure plastic will still be available upon request.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Just so you don't have to click:
  • PDBs return on November 23rd - sparkling wine and water only (though I bet FAs will accommodate requests)
  • Glassware returns on December 1st
    • same glassware as before the pandemic, with highballs and wine glasses on domestic flights and rocks glasses plus wine glasses plus champagne flutes plus cordial glasses on longhaul flights
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL

(link to my blog)

I had no idea this announcement was coming when I published my story yesterday, though AA's re-introduction was a good indication that United would soon match.

Taking UA back to SRQ next month. I'll toast you.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:48 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
  • PDBs return on November 23rd - sparkling wine and water only (though I bet FAs will accommodate requests)
    • same glassware as before the pandemic, with highballs and wine glasses on domestic flights and rocks glasses plus wine glasses plus champagne flutes plus cordial glasses on longhaul flights
Hooray! (and thanks for the summary).
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:05 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Matt's article says "mainline" PDBs returning. I hope United gives their express contractors some guidance here and that they return to SkyWest/Mesa/GoJet/Republic as well! Or are beverages markedly less safe on smaller aircraft?

(And not just PDB, I have lots of examples of not even a drink service in F on GoJet and SkyWest flights--with no drinks AT ALL in the name of 'safety').
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still hope that will be combined with more acceptable reintroduction of food service, esp appetizer, desserts.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Still hope that will be combined with more acceptable reintroduction of food service, esp appetizer, desserts.
Agreed... but still, a very welcome step in the right direction.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR764
Agreed... but still, a very welcome step in the right direction.
Frankly, AFA longhaul flights are concerned I would trade the PDB for better food selection anytime;
more so from hubs like SFO, where there is no PL to get a decent bite pre/post-flight.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!

(link to my blog)

You might as well just be honest and give yourself the credit for these service restorations!
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
You might as well just be honest and give yourself the credit for these service restorations!
Agreed! MatthewLAX has continued to press UA consistently to restore services onboard especially.

David
Old Nov 16, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Frankly, AFA longhaul flights are concerned I would trade the PDB for better food selection anytime;
more so from hubs like SFO, where there is no PL to get a decent bite pre/post-flight.
It's unfortunate, but at this point, we are just missing an appetizer, additional entree choices (portion size is the same) and the dessert cart from the pre-COVID Polaris service. On one hand, we don't have much farther to go to return to the most recent iteration of the service, but on the other, it's indicative of how degraded the onboard product became prior to the pandemic.

Coursed service is take-it-or-leave-it for me. On some routes, especially long ones, I don't mind (and in some cases prefer) the more drawn-out service. But, on redeyes and eastbound TATL, I usually was in the "express" category myself if I hadn't already eaten in the PL, so it's not a dramatic change. The plastic cups, though, are a tangible indication of "cheapness", cost-cutting and hygiene theater in the pandemic era that I am happy to see go away.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 1:37 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
What is better environmentally, glassware or plastic ?

do they do a good job of sanitizing and washing? But that would consume a lot of energy?
Old Nov 16, 2021, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by exp
What is better environmentally, glassware or plastic ?
Environmentally - glass is better but quite frankly it is the lessor of two evils. Most glass is not recycled (although 100% of it can) and the raw materials needed to create glass are not being replenished at the rate they are being used.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 2:42 pm

This truly is exciting news! Might this also mean that flights from DEN have silverware? Will DEN flights have glassware lost in the abyss along with their silverware? 😅

Last edited by Starbase 1K; Nov 16, 2021 at 2:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.