Wiki Posts
Search

UA amenity kits (2021 & onward)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: MileagePlus Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by eng3
Assuming it stays in the outlet.
LOL! I have found a relative easy way to make sure the charger stays in the socket: Use/get/buy a UK adapter. It stays in the socket very well. I use this Samsung one--the 3rd prong collapses to take up less space.
SPN Lifer and jonisflying like this.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 4:53 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eng3
Doesn't the phone typically default to "Charge Only" anyways?
I almost always use the power plug so I can get a faster charge anyways. Assuming it stays in the outlet.
I’ve never heard of the charge only mode, but it’s possible it does exist in some models/brands. Basically the dongle (or PortaPow brand I have) has only two through connections for power so the data pins are simply not there. There is no path for data to leave your phone, at least through the charging cable.

i agree that using the charger solves the issue, but it’s not always that handy. On aircraft, I use the 2 round pin euro adapter duckhead on my charger, it tends to stay in the socket better.

Mine is bright Red, and easier to find in my “United Amenity Kit” and harder to leave plugged in somewhere.

DEN

Last edited by DEN; Aug 13, 2023 at 5:01 am Reason: Attempted to make my post connect to the thread :)
Old Aug 13, 2023, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Save your money. The whole "Juice jacking" hype is just that. It's like the warnings not to use your cellphone at a gas station. This is not now and never was a real problem. It was demonstrated in a proof-of-concept at DefCn over 10 of years ago. This is possible, but hat's about it. From the linked article (bolding added):
It is possible, as the FCC site suggests, that “malware installed through a corrupted USB port can lock a device or export personal data and passwords directly to the perpetrator.” Criminals can then, in theory, steal valuable passwords or other private data or install spyware. But it’s really only considered to be a desirable attack method for hackers, he said, if they are targeting a particular individual, like a high-level executive, government official, a political dissident, or an investigative journalist. In that case, Thompson said, it’s more common to replace a cable in that person’s office or other space that they will definitely use, he said, rather than sabotaging a public port. It also helps that new Androids and iPhones ask users whether they want to share their data or charge only when they plug into a USB port that is set up—transparently or covertly—to capture data.
It seems the recent warnings are as a result of the FBI pulling an old warning off the shelf, not because of any real threat. It's just as imagined as it ever was:
The reason the FBI social media person shared it is because the agency “regularly provides reminders and public service announcements in conjunction with our partners.”
SPN Lifer and DCA writer like this.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 9:13 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Save your money. The whole "Juice jacking" hype is just that. It's like the warnings not to use your cellphone at a gas station. This is not now and never was a real problem. It was demonstrated in a proof-of-concept at DefCn over 10 of years ago. This is possible, but hat's about it. From the linked article (bolding added):
It seems the recent warnings are as a result of the FBI pulling an old warning off the shelf, not because of any real threat. It's just as imagined as it ever was:
I live in a safe gated neighborhood, with honest and watchful neighbors and I’ve never heard of a theft or break-in here. I still lock my house at night and when I leave.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but don’t believe I am either.

DEN
Old Aug 13, 2023, 9:46 am

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Today’s CDG-SFO flight still had the pouch amenity kits in Polaris and apparently not enough loaded for everyone in Premium Economy (not everyone in row 22 received one). Nice
Old Aug 13, 2023, 7:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by rjflies
8/2 EWR-MXP only pouches in evidence in Polaris
...and pouches only ZRH-ORD 8/9/23
Old Aug 14, 2023, 7:19 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Received a Premium Plus pouch last night PVG to SFO. This morning SFO to EWR I have a Asutra pouch:

st530 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by mtd85
Polaris SFO- PVG. Tiny purple pouch with no pen and no tissues. Need the pen to fill out landing forms (without having to reach into overhead bin). Also no mattress pads or PJs. Hey, it’s only a 12-hour flight and biz seats start at $15k. 🤔.

After discussion with FA, learned that amenity kits are “being redesigned” and pajamas are “being redone.” No word on when new models will appear. So, lotsa luck for the foreseeable future on long-haul flights.
LHR-EWR this past Friday and there were no amenity kits at all in Polaris.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 6:28 pm

Programs: United Global Services 3MM, Marriott Ambassador, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry/NEXUS
New amenity kit on IAH-GRU tonight, please see pic.

SPN Lifer, rieuwa, 8MiHi and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by laughinlab2001

Anything good/new/bad in the kit? Is the bag waterproof?

David
Old Aug 14, 2023, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
...Just anther brand I've never heard of trying to make a name for itself...
Old Aug 14, 2023, 6:43 pm

Programs: United Global Services 3MM, Marriott Ambassador, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry/NEXUS

Before anyone asks, here are the contents:

MarkyMarc and 8MiHi like this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
...Just anther brand I've never heard of trying to make a name for itself...
Guess better than amenity kits from Theranos...

David
Xyzzy, big V, ARR72 and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Before anyone asks, here are the contents:

So is the amenity kit a crossbody bag then? That would certainly be different.

David
Old Aug 14, 2023, 6:47 pm

Confirmed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.