Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SIN-SFO UA1/2 resumed 5 Jan 2022, second SIN-SFO UA28/29 has resumed Oct 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIN-SFO UA1/2 resumed 5 Jan 2022, second SIN-SFO UA28/29 has resumed Oct 2022

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2021, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by bpk6h
You need to fly on a designated 'Vaccinated Travel Lane' (VTL) flight to qualify for quarantine free arrival in Singapore. Currently, the only two designated VTL flights from the US are SQ23 from JFK and SQ37 from LAX. UA is not listed as one of the VTL carriers at the moment. Passengers will need to provide digital vaccination certification as well...easier to obtain in some states versus others.

All of this could change in the coming months of course. For the moment though, VTL rules are the following:
https://safetravel.ica.gov.sg/sc-pr/vtl
I can't imagine UA will tolerate this in light of this announcement by the Singaporean government. This reminds me of a situation last year where I think the US DoT placed restrictions on Chinese and Indian airlines as retaliation since they restricted American carriers from flying to those countries or something along the line of that. In terms of fairness and reciprocity, I think it's only a matter of time before UA will be able to operate VTL flights.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 5:04 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lsquare
I can't imagine UA will tolerate this in light of this announcement by the Singaporean government. This reminds me of a situation last year where I think the US DoT placed restrictions on Chinese and Indian airlines as retaliation since they restricted American carriers from flying to those countries or something along the line of that. In terms of fairness and reciprocity, I think it's only a matter of time before UA will be able to operate VTL flights.
Other airlines are operating (or are scheduled to operate) VTL routes including LH, BA, AF, OZ and KE. SQ has not announced SFO-SIN as a VTL route which leaves this open for UA - time will tell if that's the agreed reciprocity? It was reported that VP Harris raised the topic of travel access to SG during her recent visit.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bpk6h
Other airlines are operating (or are scheduled to operate) VTL routes including LH, BA, AF, OZ and KE. SQ has not announced SFO-SIN as a VTL route which leaves this open for UA - time will tell if that's the agreed reciprocity? It was reported that VP Harris raised the topic of travel access to SG during her recent visit.
Source? I don't recall seeing that being reported.

I'm probably more hopeful that it'll happen now than I was a week ago.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nmpls
Do note that if you read the fine a ton of health providers outside of those states will provide barcodes.
https://www.commontrustnetwork.org/verifier-list
Does anybody know how this works for those who don't fit into this network? I got my vaccination at Kroger in Houston. I don't have a login, electronic access, or anything beyond the CDC card. I'm guessing there are a ton of people who are in the same boat as me. I hit a total brick wall in terms of figuring out how to get one of these smart passes. Like one of the posters above, I'm hesitant to put the time and effort into planning something right now given there's a lot which could derail it
chavala likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Source? I don't recall seeing that being reported.

I'm probably more hopeful that it'll happen now than I was a week ago.
Slight misread on my part...the article says the US has been pushing 'since before VP Harris' visit.'

​​​​​​U.S. Pushing Singapore to Let American Visitors Enter Freely https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-enter-freely
Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:51 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
General questions about Singapore's reopening are best handled in
Singapore destination forum and
The road to COVID-19 reopen starts
Traveling to Singapore
How do the new Singapore COVID entry requirements work?

Likewise general questions of vaccine passports or other digital record systems are best in Coronavirus and travel forum
such as Proof of vaccination - CDC card alternatives
Converting the US CDC Vaccine card to EU Immunization Pass with QR Code

Let's just focus here on UA operations to SIN and it is not even clear at this time if UA will be eligible as a VTL airline

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 11, 2021 at 10:10 pm
Old Oct 10, 2021, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
The only silver lining is each passing day increases the chance of a real Polaris 789 instead of the ghetto bird version.
lsquare, tcdtcd and SFO_LOW_CLOUDS like this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Let’s hope there is enough demand and UA will apply for designated VTL flight.

I am going to fly from SIN back to the US just before Thanksgiving and hope I don’t have to connect through ICN or NRT to get on a UA flight back to the US.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 3:33 pm

Right now SIN isn't showing UA as an airline
(If you look at the list, BA and others are on the list, even if BA hasnt publicly announced the routes/flight numbers yet. Similarly OZ and KE are expected to announce flight numbers, just not yet)

That can change of course, go talk to UA

https://safetravel.ica.gov.sg/sc-pr/vtl

Canada [To be announced]
Republic of Korea Asiana Airlines
Korean AirSingapore Airlines
United States Singapore Airlines

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Let’s hope there is enough demand and UA will apply for designated VTL flight. I am going to fly from SIN back to the US just before Thanksgiving and hope I don’t have to connect through ICN or NRT to get on a UA flight back to the US.
VTL is only for flights to Singapore.

If you are leaving SIN (to USA), you can connect anywhere you like. Only caveat is, if you need to return back to SIN, travel history for past 14days needs to be clean(only VTL countries or Singapore) , otherwise you won't qualify for VTL into Singapore

And of course, roundtrip on same airline would likely be cheaper than separate tickets. Unless you do mileage redemption

Last edited by paperwastage; Oct 10, 2021 at 3:58 pm
Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by paperwastage
Right now SIN isn't showing UA as an airline
(If you look at the list, BA and others are on the list, even if BA hasnt publicly announced the routes/flight numbers yet. Similarly OZ and KE are expected to announce flight numbers, just not yet)

That can change of course, go talk to UA
Let us collectively do everything we can to encourage United Air Lines to apply to Singapore for designation to serve in the Vaccinated Travel Lane (VTL).
UA_Flyer and lsquare like this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am going to fly from SIN back to the US just before Thanksgiving and hope I don’t have to connect through ICN or NRT to get on a UA flight back to the US.
Sounds like a catch-22 situation.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This is always a great flight for business travelers, but usually too expensive as a leisure route v. comparable connections. Alas there are few biz travelers right now (which make the flight profitable) so I don't see a rush to bring it back. SIN is rather dull as a tourist destination for Americans, most stopover on the way to Thailand, Indonesia, etc. And well heeled travelers aren't knocking down the door to Asia right now, the focus seems to be on Europe (for those not content with Hawaii/Central America).

So I'm happy to see SIN finally taking a rationale approach to travel, but it will only slightly move the needle for now. Baby steps...
SPN Lifer and gokeeper like this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:15 am

Programs: Show me the points!

Same boat. Myself and the family are going back SIN-NRT-DFW-PNS mid Nov and currently booked on SQ SFO-SIN (non-VTL) mid Dec. Waitlisted on SQ23 JFK-SIN (VTL). Wouldn't mind UA1 if they open up Saver J and call it VTL.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:24 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by kkjay77
And SQ is the only approved carrier that can carry VTL pax from the US.
How super scientific :-/
Old Oct 11, 2021, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by nichojo
Same boat. Myself and the family are going back SIN-NRT-DFW-PNS mid Nov and currently booked on SQ SFO-SIN (non-VTL) mid Dec. Waitlisted on SQ23 JFK-SIN (VTL). Wouldn't mind UA1 if they open up Saver J and call it VTL.
SQ33 (SFO-SIN) is now a VTL flight. It was added a day after the initial announcement. As for UA, it's hard to see the downside in also pursuing a VTL option. The airline is not required to operate the route exclusively as a VTL flight. Thus, for example, if UA were to launch 4x weekly service they could choose to have 2 VTL and 2 non-VTL.
vanillabean likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.