Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SIN-SFO UA1/2 resumed 5 Jan 2022, second SIN-SFO UA28/29 has resumed Oct 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIN-SFO UA1/2 resumed 5 Jan 2022, second SIN-SFO UA28/29 has resumed Oct 2022

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by JNelson113
I hope that UA will aggressively pursue approval for the VTL and start flights as soon as possible should it be granted. SFO-SIN is a flagship route for UA and SIN appears to be one of the Asian countries willing to move forward and open to the west. It's a business hub, and should become especially important given that HK will probably stay closed for years because of the zero covid policy. I would think that once things get going that the passenger and cargo load will be sustainable (and maybe initially drop it to 3-4 days a week).
SIN is becoming an alternative to HKG as companies reevaluate their presence there. SIN has changed so much since I first went there as a kid. We need more flights there, not less. Also, for those that have UA status, I have a hunch they rather fly UA than SQ.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 2, 2021 at 7:18 pm Reason: Remove Off topic; non-UA related; OMNI content
Old Nov 2, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by JNelson113
I hope that UA will aggressively pursue approval for the VTL and start flights as soon as possible should it be granted. SFO-SIN is a flagship route for UA and SIN appears to be one of the Asian countries willing to move forward and open to the west. It's a business hub, and should become especially important given that HK will probably stay closed for years because of the zero covid policy. I would think that once things get going that the passenger and cargo load will be sustainable (and maybe initially drop it to 3-4 days a week).
Pre-pandemic I had a business in SIN and flew there regularly for several years. I closed the operation down for a variety of reasons several years ago and thankful that I did as I would have been forced out of business over the last 18 months. I can only wonder how a business with operations in SIN were dealing with this situation over the past nearly two years, it must have been horrific even in this digital age. Sometimes boots are the ground are needed and this is definitely a step in the right direction. The HK situation is just another huge global mess but at least SIN will hopefully turn around quickly and I am optimistic it will.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
And UA, seems like there is demand at least at FT for a VTL UA flight to SIN!
SPN Lifer, lsquare and brodayo like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 2, 2021 at 7:20 pm Reason: Removed response to deleted post
Old Nov 2, 2021, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
. Also, for those that have UA status, I have a hunch they rather fly UA than SQ.
Definitely.

But the calculus may well change for me when I hit MM lifetime Gold in a few weeks.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Definitely.

But the calculus may well change for me when I hit MM lifetime Gold in a few weeks.
Why would the calculus change for you? You're still better off flying on UA than SQ unless you're in the business class cabin.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 2, 2021 at 7:12 pm Reason: off topic, non-UA content removed
Old Nov 2, 2021, 7:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A number of off topic; non-UA related; OMNI posts have been removed. Regional politics is clearly off topic, so let's stick to the topic of UA flying to SIN. There are other better forums for those other topics.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Nov 2, 2021, 8:34 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
...Also, for those that have UA status, I have a hunch they rather fly UA than SQ.
I can't think of many people, or pretty much anyone, who would choose UA over SQ, especially with the 787 pre-Polaris seats they were using before the flights halted. Whether Y, PY or J, what possible product feature does UA offer that SQ doesn't fly circles around? I've flown SQ regional Y that offered better service and food than Polaris, heck I even had TWO hot towel services vs just one on pre-virus Polaris.

Now if you're talking about mileage and PQP accrual, that's a different issue and would be fare class dependent. If I was PQP focused, then I am looking at a bulk ticket to SIN on UA while holding my nose at what I could have experienced on SQ....but if I am paying for business or even PY outright, there really isn't much of a comparison. It's like someone who can afford either saying they prefer Walmart over Nordstrom.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 11:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
IMO SQ's 77w (and by extension the A350?) J seat isn't as good to sleep in as UA's Diamond or Polaris seats.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:42 am

Why would the calculus change for you? You're still better off flying on UA than SQ unless you're in the business class cabin.
Price (UA isn’t always cheaper) and on itineraries that go beyond SIN.

hence why I am hoping UA can codeshare with SQ

Also I have bought PE on SQ in the past, which UA still doesn’t sell on it SIN route.

If doomed to Y, then E+ is a UA advantage
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
For me, there are two clear advantages in UA vs. SQ to SIN: 1) using my Plus Points to upgrade to business, and 2) getting the BIS miles on United. I'm at 2.5MM and am trying to get to 3MM and lifetime 1K. SIN was my favorite BIS run before the pandemic because it was over 20K BIS from where I live and I've always enjoyed a few days in SIN. Whenever my family has visited Southeast Asia we always went to SIN and used it as a jumping off point for wherever we wanted to go. I pray it comes back in January so I can hop over there for Lunar New Year.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I can't think of many people, or pretty much anyone, who would choose UA over SQ, especially with the 787 pre-Polaris seats they were using before the flights halted.
I would. I couldn't sleep in SQ's 77W business class seat--it was terrible for me--so I'd take UA any day of the week.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
I can't think of many people, or pretty much anyone, who would choose UA over SQ, especially with the 787 pre-Polaris seats they were using before the flights halted.
I would. I don't understand the FT love of SQ. When I flew in Y, I missed UA E+ seat pitch, and when I flew them in J I found the seat uncomfortable, and I don't like the whole over-the-top robotic service thing they do. Plus it's a lot of miles toward lifetime status.
SPN Lifer, kirkwoodj and lsquare like this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 12:41 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
I can't think of many people, or pretty much anyone, who would choose UA over SQ, especially with the 787 pre-Polaris seats they were using before the flights halted. Whether Y, PY or J, what possible product feature does UA offer that SQ doesn't fly circles around? I've flown SQ regional Y that offered better service and food than Polaris, heck I even had TWO hot towel services vs just one on pre-virus Polaris.
Originally Posted by jgreen1024
I would. I don't understand the FT love of SQ. When I flew in Y, I missed UA E+ seat pitch, and when I flew them in J I found the seat uncomfortable, and I don't like the whole over-the-top robotic service thing they do. Plus it's a lot of miles toward lifetime status.

Aren't SQ fares usually higher than UA fares?

Or at least for UA MP award redemptions, you used to be able to find J awards via BR or NH but not SQ or for that matter UA.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by exp
Aren't SQ fares usually higher than UA fares?.
Not necessarily for destinations beyond SIN.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by exp
Aren't SQ fares usually higher than UA fares?

Or at least for UA MP award redemptions, you used to be able to find J awards via BR or NH but not SQ or for that matter UA.
Fares are dynamic, so it really depends. The SQ PY seat product is vastly superior to UA's, and the Y seat while being about the same as UA, offers far better inflight service. I've seen very affordable and reasonable PY fares on SQ. I get it that some people don't like some of the SQ fleet J seats, but looking at the product in its entirety, you just can't compare. So, it seems me theory is right - loyalty to United is mostly driven by "I need the BIS miles", "I am trying for lifetime", "I can buy a cheap ticket and use Plus Points to upgrade" - etc etc. No one is really saying the overall United product is better than SQ.
SPN Lifer and tcdtcd like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.