Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Proof of vaccination - CDC card alternatives

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2021, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

I seem to have misplaced my CDC card with my Covid vaccination records. Locally, I exclusively use the New York State Excelsior Pass, which is well understood here and pulls digital records from the NY database. I can also print out verification from the City. However, I do have a few questions

1) does anyone have any experience in using one state’s vaccine passport app / system in another state? For example, has anyone use an Excelsior Pass type platform in California or other states that require vaccination to enter certain venues?

2) Are non CDC card verification methods accepted for international travel?
Old Sep 20, 2021, 6:16 am

Can you get Excelsior Pass Plus? Digital cards initiatives in the US - CA, HI, LA, NY Excelsior Pass Plus, VA, some major chain pharmacies and few hospital systems all issue Smart Health Cards and is tied to CommonHealth and CommonPass. Each digital card can be verified by the Smart Health Verifier app. (The verifier app is extremely buggy and annoying to use but that is a different story). Each of the state/pharmacy chain issued digital card can be saved as a PDF or imported in CommonHealth app or the state's own app. I have no idea if California requires vaccine proof for anything but it should be able to verify a Smart Health card.

For international travel you probably need a CDC card just to be safe. Maybe go back to the site where you got your shots and they will issue a replacement card?
Old Sep 20, 2021, 12:13 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbandy
Can you get Excelsior Pass Plus? Digital cards initiatives in the US - CA, HI, LA, NY Excelsior Pass Plus, VA, some major chain pharmacies and few hospital systems all issue Smart Health Cards and is tied to CommonHealth and CommonPass. Each digital card can be verified by the Smart Health Verifier app. (The verifier app is extremely buggy and annoying to use but that is a different story). Each of the state/pharmacy chain issued digital card can be saved as a PDF or imported in CommonHealth app or the state's own app. I have no idea if California requires vaccine proof for anything but it should be able to verify a Smart Health card.

For international travel you probably need a CDC card just to be safe. Maybe go back to the site where you got your shots and they will issue a replacement card?
There should be a NATIONAL standard WITH a QR code, if this ever occurred (I'm not holding my breath) I'm sure this "super" card would be acceptable outside the USA--the CDC card has NO QR code attached and is all handwritten mostly by scribblers...
Veronyka and benfro6 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:25 pm

Do you have a picture of your CDC card? If yes, you can read the threads about converting it to French/EU or Swiss pass - which is digital and accepted for international travel.

Outside that, you'll really need a replacement CDC card for international travel, even if it means getting a J&J shot again. This is the downside of US not having a federal system, if you lose your cdc card and can't get a replacement, you'll need another shot just to travel somewhere which requires original documentation to be presented as proof (e.g. if you're going to Saudi or Pakistan etc, where only original cards will be accepted as proof).
Old Sep 20, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Do you have a picture of your CDC card? If yes, you can read the threads about converting it to French/EU or Swiss pass - which is digital and accepted for international travel.

Outside that, you'll really need a replacement CDC card for international travel, even if it means getting a J&J shot again. This is the downside of US not having a federal system, if you lose your cdc card and can't get a replacement, you'll need another shot just to travel somewhere which requires original documentation to be presented as proof (e.g. if you're going to Saudi or Pakistan etc, where only original cards will be accepted as proof).
Using the EU pass (secured using our CDC cards) made me wish there was a national standard. Why not? The CDC card in of itself is a national card so why not a QR code? Funnily enough, when we got back to NYC over the weekend, we had to show proof of vaccination a few times at restaurants and I whipped out the EU QR code.
Adelphos and channonc like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA Gold, SWA, Lifemiles, Emirates, Amex Plat.
In California, we can look up our vaccination record with the website you book the shot through.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by legallyblond
In California, we can look up our vaccination record with the website you book the shot through.
Yeah, I have that, digital verification, vaccine records via login to NYC Health and Hospital, can apply for mail records, etc. it’s just the CDC card itself I don’t have. I may just make a trip up to my original vax site to see if they will make me another one

A more immediate question may be does digital proof of vaccination in one state work for other states for purposes of mandates for dining, events, etc…
Old Sep 20, 2021, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomiiiii

Well I guess this thread would be a good place to compile information on what non CDC card verification methods (which are better than an easily faked CDC card) can be used for international travel vaccine verification
Old Sep 20, 2021, 8:17 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I seem to have misplaced my CDC card with my Covid vaccination records. Locally, I exclusively use the New York State Excelsior Pass, which is well understood here and pulls digital records from the NY database. I can also print out verification from the City. However, I do have a few questions

1) does anyone have any experience in using one state’s vaccine passport app / system in another state? For example, has anyone use an Excelsior Pass type platform in California or other states that require vaccination to enter certain venues?

2) Are non CDC card verification methods accepted for international travel?
Just go back to where you got your shots and they'll fill out a new one for you. Many people have done this after losing their card.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 4:13 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
In addition to the CDC card, my hospital/octor uses EPIC - which has an app and all my immunizations are stored there digitally - it isn't official for anything other than it IS my medical record - but so far no one has questioned it.

My CDC card stays with my passport and that means I don't carry it with me day to day, so I have used the digital version for random US travels when needed.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbandy

I was able to get the Excelsior Pass Plus along with the original Excelsior Pass. That, combined with Epic/MyChart records, should get me basically anywhere within the US. I guess the issue is international travel, where people seem to rely on the CDC card. NY State is claiming they don’t fill out replacements, but I will just show up at my original vaccination site and ask for a new one, should be pretty easy to get I guess…
Old Sep 21, 2021, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Well I guess this thread would be a good place to compile information on what non CDC card verification methods (which are better than an easily faked CDC card) can be used for international travel vaccine verification
Depends on the country but the more obscure countries, if they require a vax certificate, will only be familiar with the CDC card nothing else for US folks. Do you really want to argue with Burundi immigration that this random newyork stat records printout is valid when everyone else from US is showing a CDC card?

I've been travelling through europe this summer, and flashing the cdc card instantly works without people even checking it closely because everyone is familiar with it now. Showing anything else will result in hassle, denial of service randomly by the waiter who isn't familiar and so on.
LETTERBOY and downinit like this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 5:05 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Apple is introducing in iOS 15.1 digital vaccination records using the SMART Health Card specification.

https://9to5mac.com/2021/09/21/covid...allet-details/

https://smarthealth.cards/faq.html

So it's an attempt to have a specification which can be used by anyone. However, it appears to come from an American source so probably won't be accepted outside the US, especially in Europe.

Or for that matter, it seems unlikely to be widely accepted in the US. But if Google as well as Apple both support it, maybe it would help gain adoption. I guess there needs to be an app that would scan the QR codes and authenticate them.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 5:11 pm

It does. It is the Smart Health Card Verifier app I posted above. Smart Health was actually developed Boston Children's hospital and tied in with the Commons Project. Google Pay works differently than Apple Wallet but Samsung Pay supports Smart Health Card. CommonHealth app on other Android devices can store Smart Health cards. I posted this in the Covid Test/Entry thread.

P.S.: While I posted the verifier app is buggy above, I must add that the developers are quite responsive.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Well I found my card, so I guess that solves that

I will add the Apple digital verification system when I donwload iOS 15
TWA884 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.