Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Odd tax item in fare list -- including an airport where I'm not going -- Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2021, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
When one books a ticket there may be multiple taxes listed in the ticket fare. These are required governmental / airport taxes / fees. These are tracked by IATA and supplied to the airlines. List of Ticket and Airport Taxes and Fees - IATA
Featuring more than 1,500 entries, the report covers descriptions and codes for Airport Taxes (AT), Passenger Charges (PC), Stamp Taxes (ST), Ticket Taxes (TT), and Miscellaneous Taxes (MT). All the information for more than 200 countries is available and easy-to-find in a user-friendly format. The Tax List also includes currency codes, and definitions of common abbreviations and special terms.
available for Regular Price: US $4962
These codes are regularly changed and codes get reused.

Because of the changes and reused, UA in displaying your ticket may have correctly charged you will a tax but the display software is not always up-to-date and it may display a bogus reason. The tax is likely correct but the reason is out of date

There are a couple of online resources that list some of the more common codes

https://blog.thetravelinsider.info/air-travel-taxes

A generally more accurate listing of taxes for a particular ticket may be available using ITA Matrix to look up the fare

an old copy of IATA list (2009) provides some insight into the complexity

Print Wikipost

Odd tax item in fare list -- including an airport where I'm not going -- Why?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond,United Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum,Hertz President Circle
Question "Netherlands Airport Service Charge" on UA Award tickets?

Just wondering why my award ticket has this tax for almost 10$ when I am flying KHI-IAD via FRA..Any idea?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
This comes up from time to time with various taxes. UA does a poor mapping the tax codes to the correct names.

If you can find the 2-letter code, you can look up what it is with IATA and it's most likely legit.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The two letter tax/surcharge/fee codes aren't unique, and UA does a lousy job of showing the right name given the charge for your journey.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Question

Originally Posted by deadly_scorpion
Just wondering why my award ticket has this tax for almost 10$ when I am flying KHI-IAD via FRA..Any idea?
I see no KHI-FRA direct so where's the other stopover and/or carrier?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I just booked a ticket xxx-FRA-SFO-SEA on a combination of *A airlines and none of the flights touch AMS.

I see a Netherlands Airport Service Charge of $10.20 on my receipt. Oddly I see all of the correct German fees and fees for my origination. I have no idea where this one is coming from. Nor do I have a clue how to find out? The receipt online and emailed doesn't provide a fare and tax breakdown using the codes.

Anyone?

Thanks,
RM
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Netherlands Airport Service Charge - International is QL which should be unique today but UA is probably using some old IATA ticket codes where it was something else.

You could look at your fare construction on the saudia website to verify it's QL.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell
Netherlands Airport Service Charge - International is QL which should be unique today but UA is probably using some old IATA ticket codes where it was something else.

You could look at your fare construction on the saudia website to verify it's QL.
Nope, no QL. I have an "XZ" that I can't find the meaning of. Apparently UA thinks this is the NL Airport Service Charge but that's not right.

No big deal. $10.20 on a $3K+ ticket doesn't amount to much. Just find it odd that it's referred to as the NL fee when I'm not in/out/transiting NL.

-RM
Old Aug 6, 2015, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Nope, no QL. I have an "XZ" that I can't find the meaning of. Apparently UA thinks this is the NL Airport Service Charge but that's not right.
I don't even see XZ in the most recent list I can get.

Just find it odd that it's referred to as the NL fee when I'm not in/out/transiting NL.
I think it's just an out of date database. Nothing to do with NL.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
No big deal. $10.20 on a $3K+ ticket doesn't amount to much. Just find it odd that it's referred to as the NL fee when I'm not in/out/transiting NL.
It's probably a legitimate tax, just labeled incorrectly.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
It's probably a legitimate tax, just labeled incorrectly.
Yes, that's why it's no big deal. And I'm not about to waste time calling the 1K desk so they can tell me they have no clue what it's for.

-RM
Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
You've got to wonder though, if UA can't label the tax properly on the ticket, is the tax actually getting to the correct jurisdiction that has levied it?

Do foreign governments audit UA's ticket accounting to see if their taxes are being properly collected and remitted?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by transportprof
You've got to wonder though, if UA can't label the tax properly on the ticket, is the tax actually getting to the correct jurisdiction that has levied it?

Do foreign governments audit UA's ticket accounting to see if their taxes are being properly collected and remitted?
Most tax authorities are very diligent in this regard. The also levy substantial penalties for non compliance.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 9:58 am

Algeria Tax on UA Ticket When Not Going Near Algeria?

Strange new tax. Flying CHO - IAD - MUC - BEG - FRA - IAD - SHD in Y
On receipt there is an "Algeria Solidarity Tax" of $1.10
Huh?

Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
"Anything to boost that revenue!", as dictated by Mr. Kirby.

Odd.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I see $1.10 of RF on a similar construction, which ITA identifies as "Serbia Cad Passenger Charge (RF)". My guess is that the mapping for the two-letter code has not been updated in the UA system in a while.
seawolf, trooper, narvik and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.