FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Odd tax item in fare list -- including an airport where I'm not going -- Why? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2054582-odd-tax-item-fare-list-including-airport-where-im-not-going-why.html)

deadly_scorpion Jul 13, 2015 7:31 am

"Netherlands Airport Service Charge" on UA Award tickets?

Just wondering why my award ticket has this tax for almost 10$ when I am flying KHI-IAD via FRA..Any idea?

channa Jul 13, 2015 7:33 am

This comes up from time to time with various taxes. UA does a poor mapping the tax codes to the correct names.

If you can find the 2-letter code, you can look up what it is with IATA and it's most likely legit.

mduell Jul 13, 2015 10:01 am

The two letter tax/surcharge/fee codes aren't unique, and UA does a lousy job of showing the right name given the charge for your journey.

Richard Chen Jul 14, 2015 9:32 am

Originally Posted by deadly_scorpion (Post 25109324)
Just wondering why my award ticket has this tax for almost 10$ when I am flying KHI-IAD via FRA..Any idea?

I see no KHI-FRA direct so where's the other stopover and/or carrier?

RobOnLI Aug 6, 2015 1:32 am

I just booked a ticket xxx-FRA-SFO-SEA on a combination of *A airlines and none of the flights touch AMS.

I see a Netherlands Airport Service Charge of $10.20 on my receipt. Oddly I see all of the correct German fees and fees for my origination. I have no idea where this one is coming from. Nor do I have a clue how to find out? The receipt online and emailed doesn't provide a fare and tax breakdown using the codes.

Anyone?

Thanks,
RM

mduell Aug 6, 2015 9:43 am

Netherlands Airport Service Charge - International is QL which should be unique today but UA is probably using some old IATA ticket codes where it was something else.

You could look at your fare construction on the saudia website to verify it's QL.

RobOnLI Aug 6, 2015 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 25230714)
Netherlands Airport Service Charge - International is QL which should be unique today but UA is probably using some old IATA ticket codes where it was something else.

You could look at your fare construction on the saudia website to verify it's QL.

Nope, no QL. I have an "XZ" that I can't find the meaning of. Apparently UA thinks this is the NL Airport Service Charge but that's not right.

No big deal. $10.20 on a $3K+ ticket doesn't amount to much. Just find it odd that it's referred to as the NL fee when I'm not in/out/transiting NL.

-RM

mduell Aug 6, 2015 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 25232656)
Nope, no QL. I have an "XZ" that I can't find the meaning of. Apparently UA thinks this is the NL Airport Service Charge but that's not right.

I don't even see XZ in the most recent list I can get.

Just find it odd that it's referred to as the NL fee when I'm not in/out/transiting NL.

I think it's just an out of date database. Nothing to do with NL.

channa Aug 6, 2015 10:23 pm

No big deal. $10.20 on a $3K+ ticket doesn't amount to much. Just find it odd that it's referred to as the NL fee when I'm not in/out/transiting NL.

It's probably a legitimate tax, just labeled incorrectly.

RobOnLI Aug 6, 2015 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 25233912)
It's probably a legitimate tax, just labeled incorrectly.

Yes, that's why it's no big deal. And I'm not about to waste time calling the 1K desk so they can tell me they have no clue what it's for.

-RM

transportprof Aug 6, 2015 10:36 pm

You've got to wonder though, if UA can't label the tax properly on the ticket, is the tax actually getting to the correct jurisdiction that has levied it?

Do foreign governments audit UA's ticket accounting to see if their taxes are being properly collected and remitted?

FLYDCA Aug 7, 2015 6:31 am

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 25233948)
You've got to wonder though, if UA can't label the tax properly on the ticket, is the tax actually getting to the correct jurisdiction that has levied it?

Do foreign governments audit UA's ticket accounting to see if their taxes are being properly collected and remitted?

Most tax authorities are very diligent in this regard. The also levy substantial penalties for non compliance.

shdflyer Oct 24, 2019 9:58 am

Algeria Tax on UA Ticket When Not Going Near Algeria?

Strange new tax. Flying CHO - IAD - MUC - BEG - FRA - IAD - SHD in Y
On receipt there is an "Algeria Solidarity Tax" of $1.10
Huh?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...67c9966125.png

narvik Oct 24, 2019 10:03 am

"Anything to boost that revenue!", as dictated by Mr. Kirby.

Odd.

findark Oct 24, 2019 10:03 am

I see $1.10 of RF on a similar construction, which ITA identifies as "Serbia Cad Passenger Charge (RF)". My guess is that the mapping for the two-letter code has not been updated in the UA system in a while.