Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Extent of future relationship between United and Hertz changing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2021, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone know what the future between United and Hertz might hold?

A friend who recently hit Premier Silver pointed out that United Premiers won’t be able to enroll for Hertz status after October 31st. Following links through Premier benefits, it looks like she may be right.

Old Oct 1, 2021, 8:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thwas posted in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...l#post33609153
Originally Posted by elitefreak
Old Oct 1, 2021, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Ah! So this change will only apply to card members and not Premiers?
Old Oct 1, 2021, 9:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Starbase 1K
Ah! So this change will only apply to card members and not Premiers?
It is definitely happening to the card cardholders but your post seems to speak to elites also.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
To me, the most valuable benefit of 1K status over the last couple years has been the PC membership with Hertz.
I sure hope it doesn't go away for us.
lhrsfo, narvik and nexus7556 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This has been a nice bonus for me as well. Or was - since Covid, the availability of massive upgrades, or great cars in the PC section, has been minimal. Will be interesting to see what happens.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It is definitely happening to the card cardholders but your post seems to speak to elites also.
Yeah, that was my initial understanding.

Last edited by Starbase 1K; Oct 2, 2021 at 11:47 am
Old Oct 1, 2021, 10:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I stopped renting from Hertz years ago. They are almost always the most expensive alternative, and their customer service at large airports is generally poor - not enough staff, I’m guessing.

We landed at SEA 2 weeks ago, and proceeded to the Rental car center. We walked right up to an empty Alamo counter and quickly got our vehicle, and shook our heads at the people standing in the Hertz counter, which extended our of their area and into the common area of the rental center. I saw at least 4 “Cars available” at other vendors in the building, but people doggedly stood in the Hertz line.
LAXOGG and VRFast like this.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
I stopped renting from Hertz years ago.
Same.

Even years after I dropped off UA's Plat level, I was still a PC with Hertz, and still one today (but present day makes sense).
Old Oct 2, 2021, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
I stopped renting from Hertz years ago. They are almost always the most expensive alternative, and their customer service at large airports is generally poor - not enough staff, I’m guessing.

We landed at SEA 2 weeks ago, and proceeded to the Rental car center. We walked right up to an empty Alamo counter and quickly got our vehicle, and shook our heads at the people standing in the Hertz counter, which extended our of their area and into the common area of the rental center. I saw at least 4 “Cars available” at other vendors in the building, but people doggedly stood in the Hertz line.
You do realize that, with PC/Five Star, you never go to a counter? You just go to the the PC or 5 Star lot and take any car. I find Hertz at the PC level to be the quickest, best service that I've ever experienced. Even better than Enterprise.

I rent cars ~60-80 days per year (on 10-12 rentals), and always select by price. I find that Hertz is cheapest around 60% of the time (excluding FOX and other poorly rated companies which are often the cheapest for a reason). I am entitled to multiple corporate and CC discounts e.g. USAA, AMEX Plat, VISA Infinite, COSTCO, SAMS, etc., so that makes it easier for me to find discounts.

Do you use Autoslash when searching for rental cars? They find me the cheapest rate most of the time. My search pattern is the following:

1. Get an Autoslash quote.
2. Get a UA-linked Rentalcars.com quote.
3. Get a USAA quote.
4. Get a AAA quote (sometimes it's better than with Autoslash even though their search algo includes AAA), or a corporate discount quote.
5. Book the best price.

One more tip:
Lately, prices have been dropping as you approach the day of rental, so I check multiple times as my pick-up date gets closer, and just cancel and rebook for any price drop.
SPN Lifer, AutoSlash and narvik like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Oct 2, 2021 at 9:20 am
Old Oct 2, 2021, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
So the PC benefit falls away for everyone in 2023?
Old Oct 2, 2021, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zombietooth
One more tip:
Lately, prices have been dropping as you approach the day of rental, so I check multiple times as my pick-up date gets closer, and just cancel and rebook for any price drop.
the reason I was at Alamo at SEA is because on the day before we arrived I found out that Alamo was $100 cheaper than the rate I booked at Enterprise two weeks earlier, which was cheaper than the rate I had booked at Thrifty two months earlier.

Hertz may be great for those who rent cars for 80 days a year and are in the PC, but for the rest of us, they are overpriced and a waste of time.
VRFast likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 10:28 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Hertz has some very aggressive corporate discounts
kirkwoodj and nexus7556 like this.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 10:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Looks like the Hertz benefits are going away for all of MileagePlus, not just the PresidentialPlus cardholders:

I generally get better pricing, especially on one-way rentals, with Hertz, so this is a negative for me and could be yet another reason to dump the card.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It does look like it is going away for all albeit in more than one year later. I suppose Hertz's new management doesn't like UA much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.