Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

BOS-SFO was PS, was Business, now First, UC no/yes?, service levels? summer no 752s

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-SFO was PS, was Business, now First, UC no/yes?, service levels? summer no 752s

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2023, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM.
[QUOTE=Imstevek;35784212]I have never heard of open seats due to weight, in either direction on this route. Especially doesn't make sense coming from west coast.

see: Changes in 752 / 753 seatmaps -- some blocked middles (winter), wrong lie-flat icon
Old Nov 30, 2023, 9:37 pm

>> My booked RT in June is still showing 752s both directions.

Mine in May are 737-MAX9. Sure that they haven't been swapped in June??

Last edited by gsalem94122; Nov 30, 2023 at 9:39 pm Reason: didn't get quote...
Old Feb 1, 2024, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 4.4MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Last evening's schedule update replaced the 757-200 with the 737-MAX9 on all segments from March 31 through August 18. Terrible downgrade for what can often be a seven hour flight westbound.
dw and gsalem94122 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 9:07 am

This may have already been discussed -- I skimmed through a number of pages. But, at some point this spring/summer, BOS goes 100% Max on transcons...not a single lie flat to either SFO or LAX (seven total flights per day; 5 to SFO and 2 to LAX). Brutal. There must be better use for the aircraft in the summer but that's probably not very competitive to DL or B6. Sad to see it.

Oh, I didn't realize the change was last night. I thought there used to be a sprinkling of lie flats. Now there are absolutely none. Again, not sure how they'll compete with DL or B6. I guess they don't care.

By the way, I always thought schedule changes were done on Friday night/Saturday morning (East Coast time). Not sure I've seen a Wednesday night/Thursday morning mass schedule change. Is that new?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 1, 2024 at 2:35 pm Reason: merged consecutive / update posts by same member
Old Feb 1, 2024, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1 MM, Marriott LT-Plt, Hyatt Glb
Originally Posted by wxguy
Last evening's schedule update replaced the 757-200 with the 737-MAX9 on all segments from March 31 through August 18. Terrible downgrade for what can often be a seven hour flight westbound.
June and July (at least the dates I'm looking at) have been MAX9s for at least a month. I keep hoping it's a place they parked them to make the computer algorythms work and it will be back to lie flats soon. My actual route is SFO-PWM, but I've been taking the nonstop to BOS and driving the extra hour. With MAX9s I'll take P+ to EWR and connect to PWM.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BOS 1K Flyer
Oh, I didn't realize the change was last night. I thought there used to be a sprinkling of lie flats. Now there are absolutely none. Again, not sure how they'll compete with DL or B6. I guess they don't care.
I don’t think it’s realistic to expect any airline to compete on a one for one basis with their competition in every location. Boston suffers in this regard due to its location - EWR and IAD are going to get the TATL lie flats before Boston gets any.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by wxguy
That update happened quite a while ago. 3/31 started in November and as UA updates the placeholder schedules it gets extended further out.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I thought there used to be a sprinkling of lie flats. Now there are absolutely none. Again, not sure how they'll compete with DL or B6. I guess they don't care.
DL doesn't offer lie-flats SFO-BOS.

UA competes based on schedule, frequency, and its dominance at SFO. This has always been a very strong route for UA, regardless of the product it offers.
SPN Lifer and nomad420 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 4.4MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by cfischer
That update happened quite a while ago. 3/31 started in November and as UA updates the placeholder schedules it gets extended further out.
My July 8 trip flipped last evening. September and October are still 752s, so I'm hoping that the end of the summer push to Europe using 752s will end and they'll return to BOS<>SFO. This is what happened a few years ago.

On a related note, Aviation Week and Space Technology reported today that the 737-MAX10s (which have been rumored to have a lie-flat subfleet for transcons such as BOS<>SFO) will be delayed until at least mid-2025 due to an engine inlet issue that needs to be resolved and certified.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The lie-flats gone from BOS-LAX is more a 'competition problem' IMHO with other major carriers offering frequent options. It'll be interesting to see if B6 will try and capitalize on this move and increase their frequency.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...not a single lie flat to either SFO or LAX (seven total flights per day; 5 to SFO and 2 to LAX). Brutal....
First, Gronk's gone, then Tom Brady - now, the lie-flats. It's all going downhill in Beantown

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 1, 2024 at 10:47 am
Old Feb 1, 2024, 10:50 am

I have a flight in December from BOS to SFO. It is currently listed as a 752 with lie flats. I say *currently* as it will probably change again.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by The Man in Seat 9A
My actual route is SFO-PWM, but I've been taking the nonstop to BOS and driving the extra hour.
I need to know your secret one-hour driving route from BOS to PWM.
SPN Lifer, findark and hhdl like this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
DL doesn't offer lie-flats SFO-BOS.
My bad. Thought they did. But, I did leave out BOS-LAX on AA is lie flat, no? So, it's B6 and AA.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My bad. Thought they did. But, I did leave out BOS-LAX on AA is lie flat, no? So, it's B6 and AA.
BOS-LAX has lie-flat on DL, AA and B6. SFO is now only on B6
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.