Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes in 752 / 753 seatmaps -- some blocked middles (winter), wrong lie-flat icon

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2022, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Blocked seats (for winter in accordance with new average adult passenger and carry-on bag weight FAA standard)
  • 757-224 (75S) – 24B, 27E, 30B, 24E, 37B, 40B
  • 757-224 (75B) – 29B, 32E, 36B
  • 757-324 (75E) – 16B, 19E, 27B, 30E, 36B, 39E
sources -- FAA, Live and Let's Fly, ,Simply Flying

https://airinsight.com/the-pending-new-faa-weight-balance-rules/
The new FAA standards will increase an average adult passenger and carry-on bag weight to 190 pounds in the summer and 195 pounds in the winter. Up 12% from 170 pounds and 175 pounds, respectively. This includes an extra ten pounds for winter and five pounds for summer. This also includes 16 pounds for personal items, up from ten. Airlines must increase the average weight of female passengers and their carry-ons from 145 pounds to 179 pounds in summer, and from 150 pounds to 184 pounds in winter. The average weight for males with carry-ons is increased from 185 pounds in summer to 200 pounds, and from 190 pounds to 205 pounds in winter.

Print Wikipost

Changes in 752 / 753 seatmaps -- some blocked middles (winter), wrong lie-flat icon

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2022, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fumje
All 752 do have flat bed seats, so I expect your UA2097 will be served with flat bed in J. For some strange reason the website is showing the wrong icon on those planes, starting Nov.
Unrelated to the overall topic, but seat map showing the icon incorrectly is likely related to a new seat map being loaded for the 752s effective Nov 1 to prevent passengers being assigned by anyone to certain seats. If you look at the Y section there are some rows that no longer have a middle seat on the map, as no one is allowed to occupy it through the winter due to weight & balance restrictions. When I look now it does seem like the seat map is properly showing lay flat for the business seats.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 1, 2022 at 12:54 am Reason: broke out as new thread
Old Oct 31, 2022, 4:00 pm

Tried to search to find an answer but couldn't really figure it out. Booking a flight on UA and there's a row with an unavailable middle seat - as in, where there would normally be a middle seat, it's just empty (not blocked out, or occupied, just doesn't exist on the seat map). The seats either side are Preferred Seating. If I book either side of the invisible middle seat, do I risk someone sitting in the middle of us?
Old Oct 31, 2022, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jax_rox
Tried to search to find an answer but couldn't really figure it out. Booking a flight on UA and there's a row with an unavailable middle seat - as in, where there would normally be a middle seat, it's just empty (not blocked out, or occupied, just doesn't exist on the seat map). The seats either side are Preferred Seating. If I book either side of the invisible middle seat, do I risk someone sitting in the middle of us?
Is this on a 752? They just updated the seat maps effective 11/1 as some of those seats are being restricted from anyone flying in them for the winter so they are removed from the seat map entirely to prevent any chance it could be accidentally assigned.

And if it's not a 752, the same thing still applies, although I'm not aware of any other fleet that is having that restriction be put in place. So to answer your question, if there is no middle seat showing, no one can occupy it, it was intentionally removed from the seat map to not allow it to be assigned by anyone.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Unrelated to the overall topic, but seat map showing the icon incorrectly is likely related to a new seat map being loaded for the 752s effective Nov 1 to prevent passengers being assigned by anyone to certain seats. If you look at the Y section there are some rows that no longer have a middle seat on the map, as no one is allowed to occupy it through the winter due to weight & balance restrictions. When I look now it does seem like the seat map is properly showing lay flat for the business seats.
I am flying that aircraft SFO-EWR. I have middle seat Exit Row 7. If you are correct; no middle seat; I guess I should apply P+ for upgrade. I was reluctant I wanted leg room. Seat Map for First no lie flat beds. My original booking class was "R: before the aircraft downgrade. I will make the decision when I land in MEL.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 1, 2022 at 12:54 am Reason: split post
Old Oct 31, 2022, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyzprincess
I am flying that aircraft SFO-EWR. I have middle seat Exit Row 7. If you are correct; no middle seat; I guess I should apply P+ for upgrade. I was reluctant I wanted leg room. Seat Map for First no lie flat beds. My original booking class was "R: before the aircraft downgrade. I will make the decision when I land in MEL.
Trying to avoid going off topic with this, but not sure if there is a better thread to take this to. Exit row 7 isn't impacted (no extra leg room seats are). If you're in the middle exit seat you still have that seat.

The seats in question (and that are removed from the seat map) are 29B, 32E, 36B on the 75B. And 24B, 27E, 30B, 34E, 37B, 40B on the 75S.

If you're seeing a row 7 exit row with only 2 seats in it, you're looking at the 753 seat map (which correctly doesn't have lie flats), not one of the 752 seat maps. But looking at UA2097 (flight in question) is showing 752 on new booking page.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it the winter, or is it the updated FAA average passenger weight? The latter was my understanding. The 753 has some blocked middles as well — same reason I believe.

Originally Posted by yyzprincess
As always good advice given.
Followed your advice ignored it thus less stress.
You were on the ball. My YYZ-EWR this morning posted correct number of PQP by the time I arrived made to EWR Polaris Lounge. My EWR-LAX flight posted with correct PQP again by the time I made to Polaris Lounge.
On side note LAX Polaris Lounge way better than SFO. I am so happy I can now fly to MEL from LAX.
Thank You for your advice!!!

The flight is scheduled for 752, and excepting a fluke substitution it will 100% have lie-flat in J. I don't see any reason not to apply for an upgrade.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fumje
Is it the winter, or is it the updated FAA average passenger weight? The latter was my understanding. The 753 has some blocked middles as well — same reason I believe.
Its both. The updated average passenger weights have been in effect, but the weights change for the winter (Nov 1 - Apr 30) since people weigh 5 lbs more in winter (carry-ons heavier due to thicker clothing/winter jackets presumably?) under the FAA guidelines. Thats causing these weight and balance issues for the 757 fleet (yes 753 has 6 seats blocked as well).
Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its both. The updated average passenger weights have been in effect, but the weights change for the winter (Nov 1 - Apr 30) since people weigh 5 lbs more in winter (carry-ons heavier due to thicker clothing/winter jackets presumably?) under the FAA guidelines. Thats causing these weight and balance issues for the 757 fleet (yes 753 has 6 seats blocked as well).
Fascinating! I never knew the average passenger weight used has a seasonal variation.
chavala likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its both. The updated average passenger weights have been in effect, but the weights change for the winter (Nov 1 - Apr 30) since people weigh 5 lbs more in winter (carry-ons heavier due to thicker clothing/winter jackets presumably?) under the FAA guidelines.
Yes, that is precisely the reasoning.

(Anyone who wants to learn more about the procedure for updating average aircraft weights is invited to look into the aftermath of Air Midwest 5481 ).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Trying to avoid going off topic with this, but not sure if there is a better thread to take this to. Exit row 7 isn't impacted (no extra leg room seats are). If you're in the middle exit seat you still have that seat.

The seats in question (and that are removed from the seat map) are 29B, 32E, 36B on the 75B. And 24B, 27E, 30B, 34E, 37B, 40B on the 75S.

If you're seeing a row 7 exit row with only 2 seats in it, you're looking at the 753 seat map (which correctly doesn't have lie flats), not one of the 752 seat maps. But looking at UA2097 (flight in question) is showing 752 on new booking page.
So should one be tempted to get a guaranteed empty middle seat vs. E+ leg room?
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:36 pm

Is this on a 752? They just updated the seat maps effective 11/1 as some of those seats are being restricted from anyone flying in them for the winter so they are removed from the seat map entirely to prevent any chance it could be accidentally assigned.
Thanks for the quick reply! It's a 757.

It's also a 6 hour flight, so the spare middle seat is going to be worth the small Preferred seating fee I think!
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drewguy
So should one be tempted to get a guaranteed empty middle seat vs. E+ leg room?
All depends on your preferences. Do you want the leg room or no one next to you? If you want to be really feel like you're getting some value/boost your CPU numbers for the year, you can say you "got an upgrade" to first class by taking the row with the blocked middle....just ignore the part about it being equivalent to intra-Europe first class. But hey, first class is first class.
drewguy likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 2:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jax_rox
Thanks for the quick reply! It's a 757.

It's also a 6 hour flight, so the spare middle seat is going to be worth the small Preferred seating fee I think!
What is the route?

Any blocking of seats for weight will only apply to a small number of routes, such as some TATL. WHen used on other routes, the seats will likely be released a few days before travel or checkin.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 3, 2022 at 10:43 pm
Old Nov 2, 2022, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What is the route?

Any blocking of seats for weight will only apply to a small number of routes, such as some TATL. WHen used on other routes, the seats will likely be released a few days before travel or checkin.
Turns out it actually is a 752! I got confused. Route is LAX>EWR.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What is the route?

Yes, the blocked seats aren't guaranteed to go out empty, and I wouldn't bank on it. They do fill them many times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.