Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

BOS-SFO was PS, was Business, now First, UC no/yes?, service levels? summer no 752s

BOS-SFO was PS, was Business, now First, UC no/yes?, service levels? summer no 752s

Old Feb 1, 2024, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I remember when UA didn't even bother flying BOS-LAX half the year.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I was really hoping on an all lie-flat itinerary to Hawaii next year... womp womp. BOS-SFO/LAX-Hawaii is often pretty reasonably priced. (And by that I mean much cheaper than the comparable AA all lie-flat routing)
Old Feb 1, 2024, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I was really hoping on an all lie-flat itinerary to Hawaii next year... womp womp. BOS-SFO/LAX-Hawaii is often pretty reasonably priced. (And by that I mean much cheaper than the comparable AA all lie-flat routing)
out of YUL/YYZ are good options for BOS
Old Feb 1, 2024, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by findark
I remember when UA didn't even bother flying BOS-LAX half the year.
I remember when both SFO and LAX were branded as "PS" and got lounge access.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by cfischer
out of YUL/YYZ are good options for BOS
But then every 1stop becomes two stop, since I can't route BOS-Hawaii through Canada.

Edit: hilariously, google flights says BOS-SFO is operated by a Max9 with lie-flats in the summer. Thatd be fun.

Last edited by Smiley90; Feb 1, 2024 at 3:18 pm
Old Feb 1, 2024, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1 MM, Marriott LT-Plt, Hyatt Glb
Originally Posted by st530
I need to know your secret one-hour driving route from BOS to PWM.
I should have been clearer. My family has a place in Southern Maine that is 45 minutes from PWM and 1:45 from BOS.
SPN Lifer and st530 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by BOS 1K Flyer
Be happy BOS had them while they did. As mentioned above, EWR/IAD are the priorities for UA as hubs, and even PHL is a larger MSA non hub than BOS.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BOS-SFO still has lounge access today ... well, confirmed as of 2 weeks ago.
choch345 and tstauck like this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
DL doesn't offer lie-flats SFO-BOS.

UA competes based on schedule, frequency, and its dominance at SFO. This has always been a very strong route for UA, regardless of the product it offers.
This is a pretty common fllight for me so while I somewhat miss the PS routing which basically guaranteed a lie-flat it was always spendy and almost impossible to get any kind of an upgrade. I have more recently been looking at B6 which offers a lie flat and has at least one early morning flight out of SFO. In the past I seemed to often end up with UA as they run something like 5 flights a day into BOS so the timing seems to always work out better.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wxguy
Terrible downgrade for what can often be a seven hour flight westbound.
In the summer, when the flights have been downgauged, the westbound flights top out at around six hours. Still terrible, but not quite as bad as in the winter.

By the way, I always thought schedule changes were done on Friday night/Saturday morning (East Coast time). Not sure I've seen a Wednesday night/Thursday morning mass schedule change. Is that new?
UA started doing Wednesday night schedule changes in addition to Friday night schedule changes during the pandemic, I think fairly early on, i.e., spring/summer 2020.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by LouieBOS
Appears the swap to 4x daily 7M9s is for the summer. The 752s with 6x frequency return to BOS-SFO in August.
Don't be surprised if the 7M9s stick around longer our of BOS. The swap from 752s to 7M9s has been happening on a rolling basis a few months at a time. With more international widebody flying, the 752 are needed for EWR transcons, displacing the 777s and 787s that have been on the schedule for a while.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't be surprised if the 7M9s stick around longer our of BOS. The swap from 752s to 7M9s has been happening on a rolling basis a few months at a time. With more international widebody flying, the 752 are needed for EWR transcons, displacing the 777s and 787s that have been on the schedule for a while.
You might think that, but there are plenty of other domestic routes where you see 752s through the summer. It also doesn't look like EWR-SFO got a lot more 752s, still plenty of 772s. BOS-SFO/LAX is freeing up like 4 752s ... can't figure out where UA needs them. My guess is that they just don't see the yield on BOS-SFO/LAX and decided to downgrade the experience ... which doesn't explain why they are randomly on other domestic routes.

I'd love to get them back for winter '24 ... have trips booked - ready to call UA if a 7M9 shows up to re-route via EWR.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
You might think that, but there are plenty of other domestic routes where you see 752s through the summer. It also doesn't look like EWR-SFO got a lot more 752s, still plenty of 772s. BOS-SFO/LAX is freeing up like 4 752s ... can't figure out where UA needs them. My guess is that they just don't see the yield on BOS-SFO/LAX and decided to downgrade the experience ... which doesn't explain why they are randomly on other domestic routes.

I'd love to get them back for winter '24 ... have trips booked - ready to call UA if a 7M9 shows up to re-route via EWR.
If my count is correct, UA has 10 TATL destinations utilizing 752, AGP, ARN, BRU, DUB, EDI, FAO, KEF, OPO, SNN, TFS
Some may free up after summer season.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
If my count is correct, UA has 10 TATL destinations utilizing 752, AGP, ARN, BRU, DUB, EDI, FAO, KEF, OPO, SNN, TFS
Some may free up after summer season.
right, the majority of them flew fast summer as well though ...
Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Last night's schedule change extended the 7M9s flying BOS-SFO through September 25.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.