Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

BOS-SFO was PS, was Business, now First, UC no/yes?, service levels? summer no 752s

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-SFO was PS, was Business, now First, UC no/yes?, service levels? summer no 752s

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2023, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by plaintalk
Thank you!

Sounds fairly disappointing.

Does "drinks" mean throughout the flight or "just" with the meal? I am usually only on shorter UA domestic F flights and there drinks come with the meal and then preparations for landing seem to start
In the winter BOS-SFO can be as long as 7 hours so there will be lots of time. Depending on the crew, they will be out in the front cabin to ask about drinks two or three times after the meal service but you can always go up to the galley and ask if you want something
plaintalk likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 4.4MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by plaintalk
Thank you!

Sounds fairly disappointing.

Does "drinks" mean throughout the flight or "just" with the meal? I am usually only on shorter UA domestic F flights and there drinks come with the meal and then preparations for landing seem to start
In F it depends on the crew. Some proactively stop by asking if you want refills/another choice; others sit in their jumpseat and wait for you ask. Just like shorter flights, only longer
plaintalk likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by LifetimeGS
In the winter BOS-SFO can be as long as 7 hours so there will be lots of time. Depending on the crew, they will be out in the front cabin to ask about drinks two or three times after the meal service but you can always go up to the galley and ask if you want something
Thank you!

7 hours is a long flight with one meal at the beginning, even the 6h 24m shown for my flight, I'll better bring an apple.

Originally Posted by wxguy
In F it depends on the crew. Some proactively stop by asking if you want refills/another choice; others sit in their jumpseat and wait for you ask. Just like shorter flights, only longer

I get the message. Let's see what it's going to be like. I have been on flights from the west coast to Hawaii in F, but was hoping for something better transcon.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 2023 at 2:39 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 29, 2023, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM.
Thumbs down BOS / SFO losing premium first class? again?

A popular route for my family: Boston to/from San Francisco. (And occasionally BOS <--> LAX). Looks like our flights in January still have lie-flat beds. But our Spring flights have "schedule changes" that include 737-MAX-9s with regular seats. NOT the 757 and what I paid for, especially for a red-eye.

Nothing United is doing is making me wanna keep loyalty!
Old Nov 29, 2023, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
SFO-BOS hasn't been "premium" or PS in a couple of years. From what I have seen, the load is dropping...flew there in September. When I booked, they had 4 flights before noon, by the time I flew, it was two.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
United dropped P.S. on this route 3 years ago.

The spring break market isn't product sensitive.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Next spring's domestic schedule is largely placeholder/default at this point. Aircraft type could very well change.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM *G
SFO-BOS is a route that I gave up on UA even as a 1K MM.

I either now fly SFO-IAD-BOS on UA (avoiding EWR) or just take B6 SFO-BOS in Mint with privacy doors.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 9:53 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Looks like the placeholder schedule also has the 757s coming off of BOS-LAX, though I wonder if that will stick with AA, DL and B6 all running flat beds on that route.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
OP said that they had a schedule change that swapped out the 752 for the 7M9, so I highly doubt this is a placeholder schedule we now have. It might change back to a 752 sometime in the future though, it might not.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 3:23 am

Am I the only one thinking Mint? Best product by far.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Oh, this sucks big time. At first I was like 'o.k., 1 or 2 739s are back' ... nope, ALL flights are 739s!

Luckily, flights already booked are all before this change occurs, so no impact to my travel (or worse, Mrs. cfischer).

Not sure that UA is thinking, unless they decided to abandon the BOS market leaving it to DL and B6. Zero 752 BOS-SFO/LAX, we have only seen that during the height of the pandemic.
Does anyone know where UA repositioned these? I am seeing a lot of 752s SFO-EWR ... that can't be right, would be a huge reduction in available seats.

I hope this is all just an error and an intern was playing with options.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 8:23 am
dw

Looks like the change on both routes is effective 3/31/24.

So does this also mean the end of (not explicitly published but in practice honored) UC access once the hard product switches to domestic F?

B6 will actually be the outlier on BOS-SFO as AS and DL don’t offer lie flat seats on that route, but on LAX, B6, DL and AA all do. I’m actually more surprised about the downgrade to LAX than I am to SFO, given the competition.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM.
AA hasn't had lie flats for a while (on BOS/SFO). DL recently made the move and UA is probably following.

It is my impression (and others: https://onemileatatime.com/news/unit...-london-route/) that UA doesn't care about JetBlue competition in Boston. They eliminated the BOS/LHR route even though it was routinely full. It was an excellent alternative when EWR can be a mess. They are eliminating premium seats on BOS/SFO and BOS/LAX. Just had to fly SFO/BOS last week with less than 24 hours notice (funeral); the only empty seats were the ones United needs to leave empty 'cause of weight restrictions! Barely got 2 seats together.

Even at 4 to 5 flights a day, BOS/SFO has very high demand. BOS/LAX with 2 flights a day isn't far behind.

Sad state in Boston for UA customers.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 10:11 am
dw

Originally Posted by gsalem94122
AA hasn't had lie flats for a while (on BOS/SFO). DL recently made the move and UA is probably following.
For clarity, AA doesn't fly BOS-SFO. I think they may have in the past, but I don't recall when it was last flown, and I suspect it was way in the past, before the A321T was even in the fleet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.