Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

BOS-SFO was PS, was Business, now First, UC no/yes?, service levels? summer no 752s

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-SFO was PS, was Business, now First, UC no/yes?, service levels? summer no 752s

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2023, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 4.4MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by njwatson32
That was a covid change. It was restored as p.s. some time in 2021, as I flew the route several times between Nov '21 and Jan '23, all marketed as United Business and included United Club access. The change to drop p.s. again must be recent.
PTahCha is correct. I live in BOS and fly to SFO frequently, and did so through the pandemic. The 757s were withdrawn along with p.s. in spring 2020 when COVID hit. 757s were not put back reliably until December 2022. Even now, there are still some 7M9s on the route.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 4:23 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by wxguy
PTahCha is correct. I live in BOS and fly to SFO frequently, and did so through the pandemic. The 757s were withdrawn along with p.s. in spring 2020 when COVID hit. 757s were not put back reliably until December 2022. Even now, there are still some 7M9s on the route.
I live in SFO and fly to BOS frequently. I have flown between the two cities 6 times since Nov '21, and every time was sold as United Business on a 757 with United Club access in both BOS and SFO. Only in the last two months has UA switched to using United First branding.

It seems pretty clear that no one here knows the answer to my question, which is fine, but I'm not here to debate my firsthand experience.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 5:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It seems pretty clear that no one here knows the answer to my question, which is fine, but I'm not here to debate my firsthand experience.
While ​​​​​​ some 752 have been available SFO-BOS, it has not been listed as a ps flight for years (as this thread chronicles) and some flights were 739s (I did both 752 and 729 in 2022. Also, UC access did continue until recently as it was sold as Business but other accepts of ps were not offered . So it was an odd ball, neither fish or fowl.

As for UC access for an older purchase, what term is your ticker .. business or first, that should provide a strong hint
Old Apr 17, 2023, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While ​​​​​​ some 752 have been available SFO-BOS, it has not been listed as a ps flight for years (as this thread chronicles) and some flights were 739s (I did both 752 and 729 in 2022. Also, UC access did continue until recently as it was sold as Business but other accepts of ps were not offered . So it was an odd ball, neither fish or fowl.

As for UC access for an older purchase, what term is your ticker .. business or first, that should provide a strong hint
Thanks for the reply. This reconciles all the info so far. My ticket was purchased as Business (which I can prove to UA from the original confirmation email), but now shows as United First on the website. Hard to say whether it's a just a UI glitch or not. If not just a UI glitch, then based on your info that UC access is tied to Business rather than p.s. I'd guess that I will no longer have access. If they refuse entry, I'll try calling the 1K desk and see if they're willing to issue me a courtesy one-time pass.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Might also want to have a look at this thread — fairly consistent reports of UC access when BOS-SFO used to be sold as Business (even on the 737), but not anymore when it switched over to F earlier this month
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 17, 2023 at 8:42 pm Reason: clean up after move
Old Apr 22, 2023, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Despite all the work to rebrand, they still haven't fixed the mileage upgrade co-pays not being waived for premier members.

nnn likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Pathetic ...
Old Apr 22, 2023, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by VWang1111
Despite all the work to rebrand, they still haven't fixed the mileage upgrade co-pays not being waived for premier members.

So basically, the route is sort of half and have? Half not t.p.s. and you still have to have an instrument or miles + fee to upgrade? Wow.

David
Old Apr 22, 2023, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
In any event, it's not ps any longer. This website (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-services.html) indicates it's back to LAX-EWR and SFO-EWR only. To be honest, I never understood why transcons to BOS were branded that way (I don't think JetBlue was really that much of a threat, do you?) but enjoyed the upgraded amenities when I did to have to fly there.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 2:30 am

I just got UC access in BOS on this route for a ticket sold as United First. Will report back next week for my flight out of SFO (which is the one I bought as United Business back in October).
cfischer likes this.
Old May 1, 2023, 12:55 am

So frustrating… I’m booked on UA 1665 (SFO-BOS late red eye) on May 2, and it just changed from flat beds to domestic first seats. I actually spent more than DL wanted for the same time and route because I need to sleep. They truly have a captive market and know it lol
Old May 1, 2023, 10:51 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
In any event, it's not ps any longer. This website (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-services.html) indicates it's back to LAX-EWR and SFO-EWR only. To be honest, I never understood why transcons to BOS were branded that way (I don't think JetBlue was really that much of a threat, do you?) but enjoyed the upgraded amenities when I did to have to fly there.
There was a logic and similarity to nyc - a lot of financial sector traffic up front, and a stage length that mirrors transatlantic sectors. I suspect it was "everything else" (lack of other / episodic paid F) and the SFO captivity in particular that made them realize they could fill the front seats without the extra juice of p.s.
Old May 1, 2023, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
SFO-BOS is very difficult to upgrade, sometimes even for GS.

For 1K, realistically your best shot is to take cash buy up offer like $500

I have several 1K friends reporting that they died as No.1 on the WL.
SPN Lifer and nomad420 like this.
Old May 7, 2023, 10:53 am

Can confirm I once again received UC access in SFO before the red eye (UA 1665) on a 752.

Also worth noting is the sole upgrade on the flight was the guy sitting next to me, a 1K. I was tempted to ask his purchased fare class, but didn't.
cfischer likes this.
Old May 7, 2023, 11:26 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Can confirm I once again received UC access in SFO before the red eye (UA 1665) on a 752. ..
Was this originally purchased as Business? or recently as First?

Just saw this from a week+ ago
I just got UC access in BOS on this route for a ticket sold as United First. Will report back next week for my flight out of SFO (which is the one I bought as United Business back in October).
njwatson32 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.