Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA983 ATH-IAD on SEP 03 diverted (medical) to St. John's/YYT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2021, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM

Anyone know what happened?

This is the inbound for my morning SFO-IAD on SEP 04 so I'm getting worried.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Strange, says 'operations'. Very short stop there as well. Offload unruly pax?

0983/03SEP
P ATH/OUT 1205P ON TIME EST OFF 1225P
P ATH/RR 1219P
P ATH/OUT 1256P L00.51 EST OFF 116POPERATIONS
P ATH/OFF 110P
P YYT/ON 424P
P YYT/IN 433P
F YYT/ETD 459P
P IAD/ETA 435P L00.30
F IAD/ETA 638P L02.33
D FCF/DVRT YYT ENRT ATH-IAD A/OPERATIONS☨
D FCF/DVRT YYT ENRT ATH-IAD A/OPERATIONS
D HDQ/ATH IAD PROT UNDER GG CN2 M75
Old Sep 3, 2021, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

I listed to the LiveATC recording. It's a Medivac issue.

The continuation IAD-SFO has been pushed back to a 8:15 PM departure (was 5:55 pm) and a 10:59 pm arrival in SFO (was 8:19 pm).

Assuming it doesn't get any later, will the flight crew have sufficient rest time to operate the next morning's 8:30 am SFO-IAD?

Or should I switch to the redeye tonight?
Old Sep 3, 2021, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by boat stuck
I listed to the LiveATC recording. It's a Medivac issue.

The continuation IAD-SFO has been pushed back to a 8:15 PM departure (was 5:55 pm) and a 10:59 pm arrival in SFO (was 8:19 pm).

Assuming it doesn't get any later, will the flight crew have sufficient rest time to operate the next morning's 8:30 am SFO-IAD?

Or should I switch to the redeye tonight?
Its not the same crew anyway. Since there is no mechanical issue I'd say stick with you original plan
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
Its not the same crew anyway. Since there is no mechanical issue I'd say stick with you original plan
I'm worrying, because I've keeping track of this flight for 3 weeks now (due to a short connection in IAD to IAD-ATH), and I think at least once, I've seen the outbound 8:30 am SFO-IAD delayed with the delay reason in the United App stated as insufficient rest period for the crew due to late arrival the previous night. So ATH-IAD is not the same crew as IAD-SFO, but at least some of the time it's the same crew for IAD-SFO as the next morning's SFO-IAD.

Is the minimum rest period 9 hours gate-in to push-back time? Or 9 hours from when the crew leaves the airport to when they show up the next morning at the airport?
Old Sep 3, 2021, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I'm worrying, because I've keeping track of this flight for 3 weeks now (due to a short connection in IAD to IAD-ATH), and I think at least once, I've seen the outbound 8:30 am SFO-IAD delayed with the delay reason in the United App stated as insufficient rest period for the crew due to late arrival the previous night. So ATH-IAD is not the same crew as IAD-SFO, but at least some of the time it's the same crew for IAD-SFO as the next morning's SFO-IAD.

Is the minimum rest period 9 hours gate-in to push-back time? Or 9 hours from when the crew leaves the airport to when they show up the next morning at the airport?
Why are you assuming it's the same crew? I have been on many TCON flights, in the night before and out first thing in morning, and it's never been the same crew.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Why are you assuming it's the same crew? I have been on many TCON flights, in the night before and out first thing in morning, and it's never been the same crew.
I've been tracking UAL1986 for a few weeks, and at least once, I've seen the outbound 8:30 am SFO-IAD delayed with the delay reason in the United App stated as insufficient rest period for the crew due to a late IAD-SFO arrival the previous night.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 2:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
I've been tracking UAL1986 for a few weeks, and at least once, I've seen the outbound 8:30 am SFO-IAD delayed with the delay reason in the United App stated as insufficient rest period for the crew due to a late IAD-SFO arrival the previous night.
You may be overthinking things. Aside from a possible late inbound aircraft there’s absolutely no overlap in crews with IAD-SFO and UA1986.

Im looking at the pairing now, the F/A crew originates in SFO and the pilots come in elsewhere that is not IAD.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clubord
You may be overthinking things. Aside from a possible late inbound aircraft there’s absolutely no overlap in crews with IAD-SFO and UA1986.

Im looking at the pairing now, the F/A crew originates in SFO and the pilots come in elsewhere that is not IAD.
That's great to hear, what a relief. Thank you so much for checking!
Old Sep 3, 2021, 2:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
That's great to hear, what a relief. Thank you so much for checking!
My pleasure, happy to help. Enjoy your flight.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

The continuation flight IAD-SFO UA2435 (and the inbound for my SFO-IAD) just got pushed to tomorrow morning.

So my SFO-IAD UA1986 tomorrow morning is likely going to be severely delayed, and I will most likely miss my IAD-ATH. What are my options?

edit:

Oh they reassigned us to a 787-9 inbound from Delhi, which means my CPU got cleared.

Phew.

What a stressful evening.
MileTrek likes this.

Last edited by boat stuck; Sep 3, 2021 at 9:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.