Wiki Posts
Search

Question about paying for an upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2021, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: United
Question about paying for an upgrade

Hi - My husband and I are going to Mexico in a couple weeks. Yesterday there was a Business class upgrade available for $159 this morning it's $301. I meant to purchase last night and got distracted and forgot. My question is do the pay for upgrade prices change leading up to flight time? I am so disappointed I didn't make the purchase last night Thanks for any input!
Old Sep 4, 2021, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by momof3boys
My question is do the pay for upgrade prices change leading up to flight time?
Yes. They generally go up, but they can come down as well.
Boraxo, TXJeepGuy and VRFast like this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
I would log in every day to check on that upgrade price. I’ve seen it go up A LOT, then come down a little, then go back down to the cheapest price I saw previously. The upgrade price sometimes is the difference in what you paid, or the current price for economy and what the first class price is now. So the $159 you saw was probably the difference at the time you bought the tickets.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 10:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, momof3boys
Originally Posted by momof3boys
.... My question is do the pay for upgrade prices change leading up to flight time? ...
Yes, cash upgrade prices can vary, when sales fall behind UA's expectations, UA may open lower inventory (lower the prices for purchases including cash upgrades) to boost sales. Likewise, if sales get near or above expectations, prices will rise.

So possible prices will fall or may not, all depends on how sales / bookings go versus UA's expectations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.