Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 (900?) mile

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
united.com/preordermeals

Generally available on all flights (including widebodies) over 900 miles except Premium Transcon (EWR<>SFO/LAX)

Pre-order has priority on the flight even about GS/1K and while originally pre-order was limited to a portion of each inflight choice, recent reports pre-order can consume the entire flight's allocation of a particular offering.

archive thread: UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 (900?) mile

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2024, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
That means the first flight has the shelf stable breakfast option - no real food. Must be an early morning flight from a spoke with no catering?
Old Jan 28, 2024, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA2MM AND 1K, HYATT GLOBALIST, AVIS PRES CLUB.
None of those explanations are the case. Its a 10:00 a.m. mainline flight, with lunch, 1000 miles or so, and nowhere to select the meal. Button or link, call it what you want, but it is not there on either website or app. No email was received.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jhtraveller
None of those explanations are the case. Its a 10:00 a.m. mainline flight, with lunch, 1000 miles or so, and nowhere to select the meal. Button or link, call it what you want, but it is not there on either website or app. No email was received.
I usually get some notification once meal selection window opens up, so there must be some sort of UA issue. You'll still probably have a choice of bad UA food aboard.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 2:53 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jhtraveller
In the app, if you go to the drop-down menu on the top left, then click, "Inbox," are there any invitations to preorder showing up?
Old Jan 31, 2024, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guy row 1 on a 772 Polaris flight apparently did not preorder, and on board he had a choice of pasta or pasta. This preorder system is really dumb. 🙄
Old Feb 1, 2024, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by fumje
Guy row 1 on a 772 Polaris flight apparently did not preorder, and on board he had a choice of pasta or pasta. This preorder system is really dumb. 🙄
FRA-IAH earlier this week the choice was chicken or beef. Anyone who did not preorder had only that choice, despite their handing a menu to every Polaris passenger with four choices. The person across the aisle from me was not at all happy. I asked teh FA about this and she told me that starting about 2 months ago they stopped holding back any meals for on-board choice. So, they can sell out and offer near zero choice on-board to the unlucky. She said they are usually able to make everyone happy, but not always. It seems UA places the same standard order for each rute/aircraft type and doesn't change it.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Feb 1, 2024 at 6:01 pm
Old Feb 4, 2024, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
Den

ORD/DEN no longer gets a meal? This was one of those oddities based on miles to the old airport, last flight in Nov 2023 had pre order options this week no meal options to pre order.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by nismo240ssx
ORD/DEN no longer gets a meal? This was one of those oddities based on miles to the old airport, last flight in Nov 2023 had pre order options this week no meal options to pre order.
Afraid not. UA changed it to 900+ miles in January with no exception routes. So DEN-ORD (888 miles I believe) is now a sad snack basket.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist

under 900 miles and no longer any exception routes.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
Thank you both, I think what may have happened is they changed the milage calculation to the new DIA. I believe someone on here mentioned the old airport was 902 and the new airport is 89X, as I was shocked to see a meal the first time I started flying this route.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you both, I think what may have happened is they changed the milage calculation to the new DIA. I believe someone on here mentioned the old airport was 902 and the new airport is 89X, as I was shocked to see a meal the first time I started flying this route.
No, the mileage calculation (888 miles) is unchanged any time recently, it's simply that they cut meals for all flights under 900 miles, where previously the threshold for catering a meal was 800 miles.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The "new DIA" opened in 1995 when Denver's Stapleton International Airport closed. Just for clarity, while Denver locals use the name "DIA" for their airprt some reason, the internationally recognised DIA airport is in Qatar.
SPN Lifer and pudgym29 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Preorder for premium transcon flights are a nice departure from the same entrees the last 3 years.

This is a EWR-SFO 6pm departure.

kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Flying single-aisle coach (probably) HNL-SFO Thursday morning. Pre-order snack items / booze shown, but not Bistro on Board. BoB used to show up, but frequently or always ex-HNL (paraphrasing) "not available for pre-order but may be available on flight". Which they were. Maybe UA's solution to the problem was just to remove BoB altogether from pre-order page?
Disappointed that almost 6 months after the disappearance of Bistro on Board from the pre-order menu they still haven't been able to figure out how to let people pre-order Burgers etc. It really narrows the usefulness (at least for me, who enjoys the Burger on board) of this feature. It's still useful to pre-order a snack on flights that doesn't have BoB, but I believe this is now only flights between 900 and 1,190 miles...kind of a narrow band (+ in fairness, international). Hopefully they figure this out soon!

Anyone have theories or informed speculation on why it's so difficult for them to pull off? Is it because BoB has different menus based on departure times? Concerns about overselling?
Old Mar 18, 2024, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am five days out from my MUC-ORD flight in Polaris. On my flight to MUC five days out I received an email from United asking me to select my flight meal for my upcoming flight. So I just received an email from United asking me to select my meals for my upcoming flights from Munich to Chicago and then Chicago to Seattle. When I tried to select a meal for the Chicago flight I’m politely told that the order window for that flight is closed but I can go ahead and select my meal choice for the Chicago to Seattle leg.

UA still can’t get this right. Hilarious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.