Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA: Use Home Testing Kit for U.S. Return from International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2021, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United and Abbott Partner to Make Return to U.S. "Worry Free" for International Travelers with Home-Testing Kits

Newly issued guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now accepts rapid, self-administered testing option that meet its criteria
United customers can depart the U.S. with the Abbott BinaxNOW™ Home Test in their carry-on bag and administer the test via the eMed digital health platform to re-enter the U.S.

CHICAGO and ABBOTT PARK, Ill., May 12, 2021
-- United and Abbott today announced a first-of-its-kind collaboration to use Abbott's BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Home Test and Abbott's NAVICA app to help make the international travel experience more seamless. Recently updated CDC guidelines permit travelers to self-administer a rapid antigen test under the real-time supervision of a telehealth service and use the verified negative test result to board an international flight to the U.S. if they test negative.

"We appreciate the private sector proactively helping travelers have access to easy, reliable COVID-19 test options," said CDC Director Rochelle P. Walensky, MD, MPH. "Comprehensive testing that is easy, rapid, accurate and trusted is a fundamental strategy for preventing the spread of COVID-19."

United customers can depart the United States with the BinaxNOW Home Test in their carry-on bag and administer the test via the eMed digital health platform while overseas, avoiding the need to find a testing center abroad. United is the only airline to offer end-to-end integration between a digital platform and a testing app with the integration between the United Travel Ready Center platform and Abbott's NAVICA app which provides a seamless passenger experience when departing and re-entering the United States. Since the Travel-Ready Center launched in January, United customers have been able to easily access testing or vaccine requirements needed for travel destinations, upload completed test results and vaccine records, as well as have them verified, all within the United app.

"We want to give our customers greater peace of mind that when they travel internationally, they'll be able to return to the U.S quickly and safely," said Toby Enqvist, chief customer officer at United. "The Abbott BinaxNOW Home Test meets CDC requirements and, along with our partners at Abbott, United is doubling down on our commitment to make international travel as safe and convenient as possible by offering an easy testing option when customers are ready to return to the United States."

The BinaxNOW Home Test kit is lightweight, about the size of a day planner and fits easily into a passenger's carry-on luggage, briefcase or purse. It is recommended that passengers travel with more than one BinaxNOW test in their possession in the event of an inconclusive test result.

"The BinaxNOW COVID-19 rapid test is the most studied and widely used rapid test in the United States today and with our partner United, we're making testing even more broadly available as the country returns to international business and leisure travel," said Andrea F. Wainer, executive vice president of Abbott's rapid and molecular diagnostics business. "The CDC's recent guidance also reinforces the importance of our NAVICA app, because airlines and other safety-conscious industries, such as workplaces and higher education, will need digital solutions that can be used to quickly and easily validate and verify test results."

The BinaxNOW COVID-19 rapid test can help restore a sense of normalcy to everyday life by reuniting family members and loved ones, providing additional confidence while traveling, and making it easier to do international business. Authorized since August 2020, more than 200 million BinaxNOW tests have been distributed throughout the United States, where they've been used by K-12 schools, universities, nursing homes, and underserved communities and serve as a powerful tool to help prevent the virus from spreading.

For a detailed description of the Abbott home-testing process, visit united.emed.com. To view video and photos of the process click here.

The Abbott BinaxNOW™ Home Test meets the the CDC's guidance due to the unique digital proctor experience through eMed, which provides observed sample collection, testing and digitally verified test results. Abbott's recently authorized BinaxNOW™ Self Test for over-the-counter purchase is not eligible for travel purposes.
The BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test is a lateral flow immunoassay intended for the qualitative detection of nucleocapsid protein antigen from SARS-CoV-2. This test is authorized for prescription home use with self-collected observed direct anterior nasal (nares) swab samples from individuals aged 15 years or older who are suspected of COVID-19 by their healthcare provider within the first seven days of symptom onset or adult collected nasal swab samples from individuals aged four years or older who are suspected of COVID-19 by their healthcare provider within the first seven days of symptom onset.

The BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test is to be performed only with the supervision of a telehealth proctor.

Related thread: Be Careful! EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica MELTDOWN. Impossible to get test done.
Print Wikipost

UA: Use Home Testing Kit for U.S. Return from International

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by LHR Wannabee
I took the test less than 24 hours earlier and received the results in the app. No wait to have it done. Surprisingly, even though it was less than 24 actual hours later, the app said 2 days since test which made it outdated for use since the country I was in required a test within 2 days of departure. I used the PDF option and saved it to my phone and used that instead and the agent at check in was able to see less than 48 hours since the test was actually taken.
Yes, the app is misleading in that manner. They should look at the date/time.
Just make sure to export a PDF as soon as you receive the results so it always says 1 day

I will be traveling from Spain to Portugal, staying 2 days, then returning to the US via LHR. Both Portugal (48hrs) and UK (72hrs) require a test.. I'm wondering if I can use this test for all three. I'd appretiate any reports. I found one of someone traveling from US to portugal using emed. It's hard to know if these reports are just YMMV type since most agents don't really look carefully. However, I've had one trip where the agent examined my results for about 10min before accepting it. It only takes one to ruin your trip. The last 3 times I've returned home, I've used a PCR test eventhough I had the emed test. First time, I didn't trust emed so I got a PCR as a backup. Second time the PCR test was free and I happened to be near a test center. Last time, I was returning via a country that requires a test and didn't know if emed would be accepted. It seems, I'm never in a situation where I can fully trust this test or need it. I'm glad I only bought two.

Last edited by eng3; Sep 13, 2021 at 7:39 am
Old Sep 13, 2021, 11:02 pm

Has anyone used CityHealth RapidReturn test before (which southwest is promoting)? Seems similar and you don’t need to buy 6 tests at one time and similar pricing at a per unit basis.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by myperks
Has anyone used CityHealth RapidReturn test before (which southwest is promoting)? Seems similar and you don’t need to buy 6 tests at one time and similar pricing at a per unit basis.
Perhaps that's a better question for the WN Forum.

David
Old Sep 14, 2021, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Perhaps that's a better question for the WN Forum.

David
not necessarily. Just curious if anyone used CityHealth test and also the eMed test (promoted by United) and can comment on both.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 4:45 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
Did two of these with the partner for return from KEF-EWR. We did these mid morning Iceland time, so before breakfast in the US. Waited less than 5 minutes for the proctors. Even though somewhere the process says "from a desktop computer" we had much better luck using our iPads. Decent internet access is a must. The delay/lag in voice and video was very noticeable, but easy enough to work around: just speak clearly and pause after. The whole process took probably 45 minutes, and that included a 15-20 minute penalty due to computer / communication problems before we just used ipads and it was a lot easier.

Our proctors were very different - mine barely seemed to care if I was following any of the process and was reading zombie-like from a script. I think I could have wiped my ... with the swap instead of my nose (or nothing at all) and he wouldn't have noticed nor cared. The second proctor who helps you "interpret" the test was barely more serious, she asked me once whether I could see both lines, then asked if I could see the result line. I held the test card up to the camera (pretty sure it's captured somewhere) but I cannot imagine they looked closely.

My wife's proctor was much more serious, making sure they could actually see her opening the pack, dropping the reagent into the test card, doing the swap, etc. Nothing aggressive or obnoxious, but mine felt like someone totally mailing it in, and hers felt like someone who was meeting us with their elderly relatives at the airport when we got home.
FlytheTail, nnn and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomMM
The date on the sticker is 10/05/21 and the lot date is 02/08/21. Given the extension letter (which doesn’t mention specific lots) I am assuming they expire end of Jan 2022. I have a test from my first order that has a sticker expiration date of 09/12/2021 and I am going to try it it on 09/14 to test the extension letter.
Follow-up, Today I did a proctored test with a kit that had an expiration date of 9/12/2021 on the label and had no issues. Also I didn't have to wait to get connected to a guide.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by myperks
not necessarily. Just curious if anyone used CityHealth test and also the eMed test (promoted by United) and can comment on both.
I have used both, and they are effectively the same. The difference is really the scale of the operation - with the CityHealth one, you actually connect to CityHealth providers in the US, but the process is near identical between the two. The one thing I did like was the $50 for two test kit pricing that Southwest offers ... as you point out, the unit cost is the same versus the eMed, but you are buying two versus six. In reality, there was no difference for me - I have not had any long wait times using either test, and all were accepted.

Originally Posted by eng3
I will be traveling from Spain to Portugal, staying 2 days, then returning to the US via LHR. Both Portugal (48hrs) and UK (72hrs) require a test.. I'm wondering if I can use this test for all three. I'd appreciate any reports.
I have just done two variations of this ... I did a two day trip to the UK, and I used the same eMed test result to enter the UK, and also to return to the US. I also just did UK > Croatia 1 day > UK > USA and used the same eMed test result to enter Croatia, return to the UK, and return to the US. My recommendation is that you use the PDF emailed version of the results in all cases.

Originally Posted by ljwobker
Our proctors were very different - mine barely seemed to care if I was following any of the process and was reading zombie-like from a script. .
My partner and I just did ours back to back from Greece the other day ... same story. I got a militant proctor making me adjust camera angles, turn on all the lights in the room, move the laptop to show me peeling open the swab. My partner had a proctor who told jokes and asked for none of the same, and went through the steps in 1/3rd of the time. Luck of the draw!
nnn and myperks like this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
City Heath test

I checked Southwest Airlines website. It seems that you have to purchase two-test kits, which cannot be used by two persons. Here is the text: “Each kit contains 2 separate tests and has 1 unique activation code to identify your results.Each test is individually wrapped and contains a sterile swab, a pre-filled tube of testing reagent, and a test strip. ”

So, for a couple, you need to purchase two kits and hope to use them for second time. Is it right?
Old Sep 15, 2021, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
I checked Southwest Airlines website. It seems that you have to purchase two-test kits, which cannot be used by two persons. Here is the text: “Each kit contains 2 separate tests and has 1 unique activation code to identify your results.Each test is individually wrapped and contains a sterile swab, a pre-filled tube of testing reagent, and a test strip. ”

So, for a couple, you need to purchase two kits and hope to use them for second time. Is it right?
but the sample video shows two different activation codes on the kits…
Old Sep 16, 2021, 5:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by greenpau
I have just done two variations of this ... I did a two day trip to the UK, and I used the same eMed test result to enter the UK, and also to return to the US. I also just did UK > Croatia 1 day > UK > USA and used the same eMed test result to enter Croatia, return to the UK, and return to the US. My recommendation is that you use the PDF emailed version of the results in all cases.
...!
Thanks for the report, I may still get a PCR anyways.
I'm 99% confident that the emed test is fine for US. Since my UK layover is tied to returning the US, I'm fairly confident there too.
I'm "less" confident about portugal. They point to a list which doesnt include this test. I've read a small amount of reports of people having issues (with other tests). They seem to be one of the only countries that wont accept a US CDC card so they seem more stringent in general.
Its a risk probability of occurrence vs impact thing. PCR test = ~0% of issues but I have to go get a test and spend money. Emed test = >0% of issues but if there is an issue you might miss your flight and screw up your trip. I'd feel better if the test was on their list.

Also, has anyone had issues with their web interface? Last time I tried it, they could see and hear me but I could not see or hear them nor myself. My laptop works fine for zoom and other webcam products. It did not give me alot of confidence in their product. Maybe I'll try my cell next time.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 6:43 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum

Also, has anyone had issues with their web interface? Last time I tried it, they could see and hear me but I could not see or hear them nor myself. My laptop works fine for zoom and other webcam products. It did not give me alot of confidence in their product. Maybe I'll try my cell next time.
I only used my iPhone last time. It worked fine with eMed, but both front and back cameras were used.
Happy travel.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
I only used my iPhone last time. It worked fine with eMed, but both front and back cameras were used.
Happy travel.
I'll try my phone next time. I had used my laptop last time thinking it would be easier.
If I recall, the agent wanted the camera angled so they could see me, and the test on the table at the same time. Between opening the package, doing the dropper, doing the swab, inserting the swab, it seems like alot to do one handed while trying to maintain the angle with the phone. I guess its better if it can use both cameras, but I'm not sure my phone can use both at once.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 12:08 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
I'll try my phone next time. I had used my laptop last time thinking it would be easier.
If I recall, the agent wanted the camera angled so they could see me, and the test on the table at the same time. Between opening the package, doing the dropper, doing the swab, inserting the swab, it seems like alot to do one handed while trying to maintain the angle with the phone. I guess its better if it can use both cameras, but I'm not sure my phone can use both at once.
Very proctor dependent -- my first proctor was generally useless (and I'm blaming him on the reason the test failed [no control strip... though had I not been blindly following his directions I probably would have noticed where he was steering me wrong]) and didn't care about seeing much besides the QR codes. My wife's proctor seemed to be a bit more engaged but she was using headphones so I was only hearing one side, and my 2nd proctor wanted to see things but gave up relatively quickly based on the horrible camera configuration on my laptop* combined with glare when I did try awkwardly holding my laptop up.

*- For some reason Dell decided mounting the webcam at the bottom of the screen to get a great view of nostrils was a good idea on the generation of laptop I'm currently issued (another 10 months or so before I'm due for an upgrade) ... Makes it virtually impossible to show the proctor anything other than your nose without picking the laptop up and waving it around.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 12:31 pm

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
Hi all -- just curious if anyone has experience with really short (overnight) trips from US to Europe and back recently?

I know we need a covid test within 72 hours to return to the US -- can you just re-use a test from before you left the US?
Old Sep 16, 2021, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by autobahnal
Hi all -- just curious if anyone has experience with really short (overnight) trips from US to Europe and back recently?

I know we need a covid test within 72 hours to return to the US -- can you just re-use a test from before you left the US?
I have seen nothing saying that you cannot as long as it is the correct type of test. (Some countries may only accept PCR)
I certainly know people who have gone to the Caribbean and back using the same test.
autobahnal likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.