FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA: Use Home Testing Kit for U.S. Return from International (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2040057-ua-use-home-testing-kit-u-s-return-international.html)

DELee May 12, 2021 5:03 pm

UA: Use Home Testing Kit for U.S. Return from International

FYI/FWIW:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...5684f76069.jpg

Hub posting: https://hub.united.com/2021-05-12-un...652963699.html

David

pretzlaff May 12, 2021 5:31 pm

Nice to see this. We are off to Italy next month so I was looking just today at testing options for the return. All the labs in Milan recommended by the United Assured web page had websites only in Italian.

it is not clear, but I believe that you get six tests for the $150. Not a bad price.

fezzington May 12, 2021 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by pretzlaff (Post 33246963)
Nice to see this. We are off to Italy next month so I was looking just today at testing options for the return. All the labs in Milan recommended by the United Assured web page had websites only in Italian.

it is not clear, but I believe that you get six tests for the $150. Not a bad price.

$180 shipped for the 6 tests... Definitely not a bad price

ETA: Flying somewhere this weekend, so if it comes in time, I'll update with my thoughts

docbert May 12, 2021 6:02 pm

It'll be interesting to see how they handle this in countries where it's not considered an approved test.

Due to the way the US requirements for pre-departure testing are written, the test you get needs to meet both the US rules, but also those for the country you're departing from. These tests are not approved in many countries, so officially aren't valid for travel back to the US from those countries.

gmt4 May 12, 2021 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 33247022)
It'll be interesting to see how they handle this in countries where it's not considered an approved test.

Due to the way the US requirements for pre-departure testing are written, the test you get needs to meet both the US rules, but also those for the country you're departing from. These tests are not approved in many countries, so officially aren't valid for travel back to the US from those countries.

This covid test concept is for the return requirement for the US. Not to leave the US.

mahasamatman May 12, 2021 6:07 pm

So I just need to figure out how to get these in Canada for our upcoming trip to the U.S. (They're a lot cheaper than getting a travel test here.)

tylerdurden4543 May 12, 2021 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 33247029)
So I just need to figure out how to get these in Canada for our upcoming trip to the U.S. (They're a lot cheaper than getting a travel test here.)

I'm in the same boat. We have a trip originating HND-ORD in June and would much rather do this to meet our US-entry requirement.

Finkface May 13, 2021 12:52 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 33247029)

Sent you a PM.

LoungeLizardHugo May 13, 2021 1:54 am

We've been using the Abbott Binax Now test to return to the US since Feb. Six times on different carriers, returning from different countries. Smart travelers would carefully familiarize themselves with the CDC document regarding return testing so that they are able to clearly and factually assist any ticket agent who may be not fully informed what the "rules" are. I've had to explain to every ticket agent, and in the end it was accepted by every agent.

As noted above this test does not meet the entry requirements of any county other than USA citizens returning to the USA from a foreign country.

Using the test in this manner has absolutely NOTHING to do with any rules a country has other than US. The test is not for the country your are in, it's for US entry. Period. The test meet US rules and nothing else matters. Don't create imaginary complications where none exist. If a country has it's own SEPARATE requirement for testing upon exit, then in that case, and only in that case, you do need a different test.

Just that simple.

travelingdrsuz May 13, 2021 1:58 am

Here in Texas, you can buy a kit of two at H-E-B for $19.88, BUT they don't have the access to telehealth, so the only thing they are good for is to make sure you are clear for your own peace of mind. I wish there were a way to buy them and pack them, then somehow just buy the telehealth access. If I'm missing something, someone let me know--before takeoff Tuesday :-)

LoungeLizardHugo May 13, 2021 2:09 am

Originally Posted by travelingdrsuz (Post 33247630)
Here in Texas, you can buy a kit of two at H-E-B for $19.88, BUT they don't have the access to telehealth, so the only thing they are good for is to make sure you are clear for your own peace of mind. I wish there were a way to buy them and pack them, then somehow just buy the telehealth access. If I'm missing something, someone let me know--before takeoff Tuesday :-)

As you sound like you already know, without "telehealth" which is Emed/Navica remote session access, you will not obtain the electronic/emailed results with authenticated test time/date/result. It will not be accepted for return travel to US as the only thing you could do is bring the test itself and show it to the ticket agent which obviously will not work.

I know of no alternative to buying the kits from Emed and using Navica to process the testing and generate the electronic results and QR code.

erik123 May 13, 2021 2:54 am

Originally Posted by fezzington (Post 33247014)
$180 shipped for the 6 tests... Definitely not a bad price

If accepted it is convenient. Tests can be bought in Europe at the supermarket/pharmacy for 3 euros BTW though not valid for travel.

LoungeLizardHugo May 13, 2021 3:01 am

Originally Posted by erik123 (Post 33247685)
If accepted it is convenient. .

Not if accepted, it is a fact from my personal experience, six times, they are accepted. Abbott Binax Now specifically

cheltzel May 13, 2021 6:56 am

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo (Post 33247688)
Not if accepted, it is a fact from my personal experience, six times, they are accepted. Abbott Binax Now specifically

Is that accepted in general or only for reentry to the US? And were these direct flights back to the US? I believe there are several countries that require PCR Covid tests (some requiring RT-PCR tests) for transit. I am fairly sure that AMS, FRA, DXB require a PCR test.

Here is a blog article on European airports that require testing for transit.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/trans...irports-covid/

jpezaris May 13, 2021 6:58 am

Does anyone have the details as to why these tests would not be accepted for pre-departure testing when traveling to Europe? Are they missing some key factor?