Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
Is it only 2015? It feels longer.

I wish they would have dropped the “base miles” verbiage. It’s extremely confusing.
I was mid-trip when the change from mileage-based award miles to dollars-based award miles occurred. After the trip I noticed the accruals to and from didn't match.

I can remember calling in to tell UA they'd made a mistake with my mileage credit, having the agent tell me, "no, that's how it works now", and realising with chagrin that I'd read about the change but not understood what it meant.

Before 2015 (coincidentally, the year I joined flyertalk), I didn't feel I needed to study the benefits on my FF program to feel I was benefiting. From then, the rest is, well, history — documented in my posts here.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Once again UA demonstrating the disconnect between fare sales and award pricing. For the next month Hawaii flights from west coast are now discounted to $99 one-way but still require 24.5k miles. Absurd and making DL skypesos look good by comparison (at least for domestic routes). No reason for me to fly UA anymore except for price and free E+ seating.

(Contrast to AS, showing flights available for 12.5k miles one-way).
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Once again UA demonstrating the disconnect between fare sales and award pricing. For the next month Hawaii flights from west coast are now discounted to $99 one-way but still require 24.5k miles. Absurd and making DL skypesos look good by comparison (at least for domestic routes). No reason for me to fly UA anymore except for price and free E+ seating.

(Contrast to AS, showing flights available for 12.5k miles one-way).
Not sure it's absurd. They're giving you a 67% discount off the normal $300 fare if you give them something they highly value right now -- cash!
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Not sure it's absurd.
Hey, you were the one crowing about how UA was about to dump a whole bunch of award seats on the market and erase that paper liability from their books. You can't have it both ways.

I don't think it's fair to judge the value of the frequent flyer program based upon one route; you're always going to be able to find extreme value outliers in one direction or the other. In fact, one of the advantages of using award miles as a second currency is that you can choose when to use cash and when to use points, to your own benefit.

That said, unless you're sitting on millions of miles -- in which case, by all means, use them -- 24.5K for a $99 fare is not a good redemption, even by MileagePlus standards. Note that if you hold a qualifying United-branded Chase credit card, and you use that card for this purchase, you can use MileagePlus Choices to get a 1 cpm redemption -- so if you're seeing a $99 fare, you can use Choices to get it for 9900 miles.* That's still not a great value -- cash seems like a better deal -- but it can be a decent way to use up a chunk of miles while still earning qualifying credit for next year. Note that you have 90 days after purchase to claim a statement credit for that flight, and they will keep an administrative fee of 2500 miles if you cancel your ticket and they have to redeposit the miles you used to cover it.

* Choices is a weird program. Chase tracks the number of miles that they've given you for purchases on your card, and that's the maximum number of Choices that you can use. So, suppose that the total number of miles you've received for using your card is 100,000. That's the total number of Choices you can use. So, if you have 150,000 redeemable miles in your account, you can use up to 100,000 of them as Choices, to "erase" a United purchase up to $1000 (i.e., you get a statement credit for that amount). If you only have 75,000 redeemable miles in your account, you could use all 75,000 of them as Choices, to erase a United purchase up to $750. These redemptions would also decrease your "Choices" balance -- so, basically, you can't use any more miles to erase United purchases than whatever number of miles Chase has given you during the lifetime of the card.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think it's fair to judge the value of the frequent flyer program based upon one route; you're always going to be able to find extreme value outliers in one direction or the other. In fact, one of the advantages of using award miles as a second currency is that you can choose when to use cash and when to use points, to your own benefit.
Agreed. I would love to see other data points from people who are currently shopping award travel. That said, I'll bet you don't find any correlation between cost and award prices at the low end

That said, unless you're sitting on millions of miles -- in which case, by all means, use them -- 24.5K for a $99 fare is not a good redemption, even by MileagePlus standards. Note that if you hold a qualifying United-branded Chase credit card, and you use that card for this purchase, you can use MileagePlus Choices to get a 1 cpm redemption -- so if you're seeing a $99 fare, you can use Choices to get it for 9900 miles.* That's still not a great value -- cash seems like a better deal -- but it can be a decent way to use up a chunk of miles while still earning qualifying credit for next year. Note that you have 90 days after purchase to claim a statement credit for that flight, and they will keep an administrative fee of 2500 miles if you cancel your ticket and they have to redeposit the miles you used to cover it.
This makes no sense unless you are desperate to preserve cash or only fly domestic. UA miles can still be worth .02 or more if redeemed for biz class on *A partners. No reason to take haircut no matter what your balance. Now to be fair I spent 50k miles for an one-way peak season UA economy seat rather than paying $1k per person, but that's still .02.

Choices is a weird program. Chase tracks the number of miles that they've given you for purchases on your card, and that's the maximum number of Choices that you can use. So, suppose that the total number of miles you've received for using your card is 100,000. That's the total number of Choices you can use. So, if you have 150,000 redeemable miles in your account, you can use up to 100,000 of them as Choices, to "erase" a United purchase up to $1000 (i.e., you get a statement credit for that amount). If you only have 75,000 redeemable miles in your account, you could use all 75,000 of them as Choices, to erase a United purchase up to $750. These redemptions would also decrease your "Choices" balance -- so, basically, you can't use any more miles to erase United purchases than whatever number of miles Chase has given you during the lifetime of the card.
I don't understand why anyone would use a Chase UA card anymore. You can get .a better ROI (2% cash back) with no restrictions from several no AF cards or even better ROI from cards that earn Chase UR and Amex points which can transfer to many programs. The only reason to get an airline card is for the signup bonus. The only reason to pay an AF for an airline card is for the perks (early boarding, free checked bags, etc.)
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This makes no sense unless you are desperate to preserve cash or only fly domestic. UA miles can still be worth .02 or more if redeemed for biz class on *A partners. No reason to take haircut no matter what your balance. Now to be fair I spent 50k miles for an one-way peak season UA economy seat rather than paying $1k per person, but that's still .02.
Some people have multiple millions of miles in their MileagePlus account, depreciating every day. At some point, there's so much downside risk to having that many miles that it makes sense to use them at almost any price.

I don't understand why anyone would use a Chase UA card anymore. You can get .a better ROI (2% cash back) with no restrictions from several no AF cards or even better ROI from cards that earn Chase UR and Amex points which can transfer to many programs. The only reason to get an airline card is for the signup bonus. The only reason to pay an AF for an airline card is for the perks (early boarding, free checked bags, etc.)
I value the lounge passes at about $5 each, maybe. But it's nice to be able to get CPUs on award tickets -- I value that at probably $50. Extra miles on MileagePlus X -- maybe $10. But the biggest reason, for me, is the 25% cash credit for WiFi. I probably spent $200 on WiFi subscriptions last year, and so I got $50 back from using my card for them.

Mind you, that's the only thing I put on that card, except for last year when they had a promo to offer 5x MileagePlus miles on UA purchases. Then, I moved my UA purchases to that card for the month the promo was in effect.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 14, 2020 at 4:13 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
What you've left out is the $99 tickets are Basic Economy - $129 for regular Economy. But why would there be a connection between award pricing and a fare sale? the point of a fare sale is to incent fliers to pay with money. And even if the redemption level was 12.5K miles, that would be a poor return on miles
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
But why would there be a connection between award pricing and a fare sale?
Because that's the whole premise of dynamic pricing. Look at how WN does it.

Unfortunately, the UA model mostly involves raising award prices, not lowering them when fares are low.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
What you've left out is the $99 tickets are Basic Economy - $129 for regular Economy. But why would there be a connection between award pricing and a fare sale? the point of a fare sale is to incent fliers to pay with money. And even if the redemption level was 12.5K miles, that would be a poor return on miles
I agree 100%. But the point of this thread was to discuss dynamic awards. And as I've pointed out from the start, the "dynamic" aspect only goes one direction - up. There is no dynamic pricing at the low end. That's 100% contrary to DL's program and arguably makes SkyPesos a better program now. Check out the "deals" that are being posted by DL bloggers which correlate 100% to low fares. The floor on pricing (if there is one) is very low. Once the *A awards go dynamic it will be game over for UA MP as the savvy flyers shift earn to other *A programs (assuming they have given up on elite status).
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Just bought a 120k r/t trip to Europe ... not yet seeing business class go below the old level ... will be interesting to watch whether they ever break that rule.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by cfischer
Just bought a 120k r/t trip to Europe ... not yet seeing business class go below the old level ... will be interesting to watch whether they ever break that rule.

What city pairs and which dates? It's not just a couple of weeks out is it?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
We also bought J savers for 60k each way for out in June. Lots of saver space out there right now. PZ space too out there too if you look for it. Just need to search from hub to destination, e.g. ORD-LHR, ORD-BRU, ORD-ZRH. Often if you do a search like IND-LHR it'll show PZ0.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Because that's the whole premise of dynamic pricing. Look at how WN does it.

Unfortunately, the UA model mostly involves raising award prices, not lowering them when fares are low.
If the economic recovery is slow and UA has excess capacity, they would be smart to induce FF to burn down their miles and take advantage of filling empty seats. We will see if this happens or not.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerTom111
If the economic recovery is slow and UA has excess capacity, they would be smart to induce FF to burn down their miles and take advantage of filling empty seats.
I'm not so sure they'll see it that way. If they're bleeding money, it would not surprise me if they saw frequent fliers as the most likely group to start buying tickets again, and thus want to limit any bargains available for miles.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:32 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Steve M
I'm not so sure they'll see it that way. If they're bleeding money, it would not surprise me if they saw frequent fliers as the most likely group to start buying tickets again, and thus want to limit any bargains available for miles.
They're doing both. Reasonable cash fares and saver award space everywhere. My son just called from college and said a student just tested positive. The original 'out by' date was 3/23. With the positive result, they changed to everyone must be out in 72 hours!

Given thousands of students have to be out in the next few days, I was expecting expensive flights and zero saver space. Wrong! EVERY single flight from PVD-SFO was 15K. Cash fares were all $323.

They want butts in seats. They're doing both. Reasonable cash fares and saver award space everywhere. My son just called from college and said a student just tested positive. The original 'out by' date was 3/23. With the positive result, they changed to everyone must be out in 72 hours! Given thousands of students have to be out in the next few days, I was expecting expensive flights and zero saver space. Wrong! EVERY single flight from PVD-SFO was 15K. Cash fares were all $323. ​​​​​​​They want butts in seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.