Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
Alaska’s motive for retaining a mileage based program is irrelevant. If I lived on the West Coast, I’d be throwing them as much of my business as I could. It’s better than UA MP
Your "hypothetical" willingness to throw them your business, since you in fact apparently don't live on the west coast, sort of makes it equally irrelevant, no?

Do you realize that you literally just proved my point regarding why they have to be generous?

Regards

Last edited by scubadu; Feb 5, 2020 at 8:00 am
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Alaska’s motive for retaining a mileage based program is irrelevant. If I lived on the West Coast, I’d be throwing them as much of my business as I could. It’s better than UA MP
It's a fantastic program, which now offers very solid SQ availability TPAC in J without having to deal with KF's horrible cs.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whitethunder
jsloan Are these also using SQ for a leg?

Nope my res was all on TG, BR and AC from HKT-BKK-TPE-YEG all in one day

There was an SQ option through SIN but I wanted the later departure (and nearly two hours less of total flying time as it is in Y)
OK, so that's one more nail in my "SQ metal" theory.

Originally Posted by EWR764
I've noticed this pricing too, and it seems BKK transit (whether actual connection or 'direct' BR flight) is a common denominator. The pricing engine appears to adjust the award to a higher-mileage region for the BKK-XXX leg.
I saw the higher pricing on SFO-TPE-SIN-DPS.

I imagine there's a pattern, but by the time we figure it out, it could change anyway.

Please, please, please, do not hoard MileagePlus miles. If you see a good value for them, use them!

On the coronavirus thread, there was a post about trying to save MileagePlus miles for Star Alliance Upgrade Awards. My advice remains the same: just use them. Note that they have taken down the chart for those also, and it's entirely possible that they will start to make some adjustments there too.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:36 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium and LTT
Massive jump in cash fees on award bookings?

Is United now going the AC route and making the cash fees on top of the miles required for award bookings so high that one’s generally better off just purchasing a ticket in cash outright?

Searching tonight for flights home from London to Chicago over the summer and getting this:

Really? +/- $300 one way in addition to miles? So a return “award” flight will cost me $600+ as well as several hundred thousand miles - when I can just buy a return business class ticket for around $1700 (which I’d do anyway at this point as the fares are low enough that it’s not worth blowing miles). Hoping this is a glitch.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:39 am

That's just taxes ex-LHR. Go blame the British government.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Marno
Is United now going the AC route and making the cash fees on top of the miles required for award bookings so high that one’s generally better off just purchasing a ticket in cash outright?

Really? +/- $300 one way in addition to miles? So a return “award” flight will cost me $600+ as well as several hundred thousand miles - when I can just buy a return business class ticket for around $1700 (which I’d do anyway at this point as the fares are low enough that it’s not worth blowing miles). Hoping this is a glitch.
You've gotten United confused with Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs. Air Passenger Duty on a long-haul non-Economy flight is £172 by itself, plus all other user fees from both countries. You pay that on a cash ticket also.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's a fantastic program, which now offers very solid SQ availability TPAC in J without having to deal with KF's horrible cs.
I actually agree with you. The point of my post (which the poster you quoted was responding to) was about the "why" of that generosity and it's not because Alaska has some altruistic, agape love for their customers. If they could follow the path of their peers they probably would.

Also, keep in mind that the great SQ availability to AS could be modified/changed by SQ at any time, so I'm not sure it says anything in particular about AS's program; seems that availability is solely based on the benevolence of SQ.

Regards
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium and LTT
Originally Posted by abcx
That's just taxes ex-LHR. Go blame the British government.
Originally Posted by findark
You've gotten United confused with Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs. Air Passenger Duty on a long-haul non-Economy flight is £172 by itself, plus all other user fees from both countries. You pay that on a cash ticket also.

Ah, okay, thanks folks. Just moved here from Manila so haven’t searched award flights ex-LHR in about 20 years.

Last edited by Marno; Feb 5, 2020 at 11:50 am Reason: Added quotes
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:17 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Looks like the EWR-SNA route is one of the most expensive domestic J award tickets. Looking on various dates close-in, far-out, and in-between, I'm seeing almost nothing less than 86K miles and tons of 100K miles.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
The above comments basically covers many of the reasons I have been migrating to AS. Previously loved SQ for my TPAC travel and now I will again take advantage of booking it through AS mileage program. I would note that I have yet to booked a flight yet on SQ through the AS program so hopefully no surprises.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
The above comments basically covers many of the reasons I have been migrating to AS. Previously loved SQ for my TPAC travel and now I will again take advantage of booking it through AS mileage program. I would note that I have yet to booked a flight yet on SQ through the AS program so hopefully no surprises.
I love the AS program, but it should be noted that TPAC SQ J flights using AS miles are extremely expensive. I'd argue, prohibitively so.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:33 pm

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by physioprof
Looks like the EWR-SNA route is one of the most expensive domestic J award tickets. Looking on various dates close-in, far-out, and in-between, I'm seeing almost nothing less than 86K miles and tons of 100K miles.
Not surprised. SNA is miles ahead of LAX and usually on 737 aircraft. My last flight ORD-SNA with Plus points applied at play, I was 23/65 on the upgrade list with one seat open at Check-in on a 738.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Your "hypothetical" willingness to throw them your business, since you in fact apparently don't live on the west coast, sort of makes it equally irrelevant, no?

Do you realize that you literally just proved my point regarding why they have to be generous?

Regards
When I retire, it will be to the west coast.

And I don’t care why they have to be generous. The fact that it is a better program is all that matters.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And I don’t care why they have to be generous. The fact that it is a better program is all that matters.
I think the point is that today's better program is tomorrow's laggard. If AS is the best program for you right now, please use it. But that situation might not last, so you should reevaluate whenever conditions change -- just like anybody who's using MileagePlus should do.

And, please, everyone: do not hoard miles in any program.. or, at least, be prepared to bail at any point. The next change could be the one that makes your miles worthless. (And, keep in mind, UA didn't even give a warning period before dynamic awards, and it doesn't seem like they're offering a warning period before these new dynamic partner awards).
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
it should be noted that TPAC SQ J flights using AS miles are extremely expensive. I'd argue, prohibitively so.
AS charges less than SQ. 100k miles SFO-BKK. SQ charges 105k for that same route (and UA 90 or 93.5k). And no change/cancel fees if you're MVPG or higher.

AS miles are so very easy to earn (50-60k for a TPAC RT in J on CX, JL, or SQ, for example).

Last edited by Kacee; Feb 5, 2020 at 11:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.