Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1mil. Marriott Titanium
Revenue based miles together with higher miles redemptions makes loyalty more difficult. If there can be price collusion then can there be miles collusion? Because fare price and dynamaic miles needed are intertwined even though FF is completly voluntary. I would imagine dynamic awards has been discussed already by many other FF programs before now.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
UA should be careful about killing the golden goose... if they make their miles worth a penny, there are plenty of credit cards that give greater value than that in cash. And we all know how much airlines love to sell their miles.....

Although I suppose perhaps with the increase in airfares and increased profitability from actually flying paid customers, maybe the calculus has changed and selling miles isn't as important.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:36 am

Time to start redeeming miles.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by raehl311
UA should be careful about killing the golden goose... if they make their miles worth a penny, there are plenty of credit cards that give greater value than that in cash. And we all know how much airlines love to sell their miles.....

Although I suppose perhaps with the increase in airfares and increased profitability from actually flying paid customers, maybe the calculus has changed and selling miles isn't as important.
hmm...but if they were selling tons of miles that were worth 3 cents each at the price of 1 cent each, then wasn't that actually a dumb decision? it may bring in lots of cash in the short term, but it certainly won't drive long term positive financials. either they would need to sell for more, or sell somethign worth less to make it beneficial for the airline.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
if they were selling tons of miles that were worth 3 cents each at the price of 1 cent each, then wasn't that actually a dumb decision?
NO. NOT. EVEN. A LITTLE BIT. AT ALL.

The 3 cent value is measured against the (offered) cash cost of a given flight.

Since the airline: 1) has total/complete control of seat availability, AND 2) any seat released for redemption wasnt going to be sold anyway (in the airline's judgement)- they are merely giving away for miles what would have been "spoilage inventory" immediately post takeoff.

So, the 1 cent you mention is profit, pure and simple.

Dave
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by bseller

Dave
Not so sure about that. The plane burns extra fuel with each extra human pound and luggage pound, no?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by shdflyer
Not so sure about that. The plane burns extra fuel with each extra human pound and luggage pound, no?
If you can quantify the extra fuel burn related EXCLUSIVELY to the marginal pax and quantify the balance sheet impact of the retired miles AND still believe the airline doesn't profit from this situation, you're way smarter than me.

I think you're wrong.

Dave
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:16 am

If you can quantify the extra fuel burn related EXCLUSIVELY to the marginal pax and quantify the balance sheet impact of the retired miles AND still believe the airline doesn't profit from this situation, you're way smarter than me.

I think you're wrong.

Dave
FWIW - 100% airlines can (and do) quantify the fuel burn for one extra passenger.

In VERY overly simplistic terms...

It varies by airline, but the general assumption is adult = 170 lbs, luggage = 30 lbs. So 200 lbs per passenger.

Average cost to fly plane empty from A-B = x (Weight = wx)
Average cost to fly plane full from A-B = y (Weight = wy)
y-x = cost variance cv
wy-wx = weight variance wv

cv / wv = cost per pound.

200 * cpp = variable cost per passenger.

Repeat a similar caclulation for whatever you want to know. (e.g. fuel per additional passenger, labor (if you add labor), catering (beyond meals), misc (toiletries, amenity kits, paper)

Airlines can and do, do this for passengers, cargo, fuel, staffing, etc. They know down to the penny what it costs to let you get on the plane from point a to point b. Pilots also calculate weight and balance for every flight. (Actually, the computer at ops does it for them, but it is done for every flight.)
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:21 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by raehl311
UA should be careful about killing the golden goose... if they make their miles worth a penny, there are plenty of credit cards that give greater value than that in cash.
Indeed. This miles maestro would abandon all UA cards for cash back ones posthaste.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Actually they don't even need to get the value down to a penny to lose. Most cash or points cards bonus at least some spending. Also, for at least some such cards (CSP e.g.) if you book through their portal you get better than 1c per point pricing. Finally, if you are using card points (or cash back) to buy a ticket you get to choose any flight not just the few that UA wants to make available. I have already switched most of my "award" travel to just booking what I want with CSP points and then the miles just accumulate until there is actually something useful to do with them on my terms. So from my perspective chasing miles has ceased to be of any real interest, at least on UA. (And in any case, I haven't flown UA since last fall and don't have plans to for the rest of this year and that's even as a lifetime 1K with a pretty large remaining balance of UA miles. It just isn't worth putting up with their service and attitude so I've been spending real money or points elsewhere and buying premium tickets for anything over an hour or two.)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 3, 2015 at 6:53 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:09 pm
Suspended

NO. NOT. EVEN. A LITTLE BIT. AT ALL.

The 3 cent value is measured against the (offered) cash cost of a given flight.

Since the airline: 1) has total/complete control of seat availability, AND 2) any seat released for redemption wasnt going to be sold anyway (in the airline's judgement)- they are merely giving away for miles what would have been "spoilage inventory" immediately post takeoff.

Dave
that's the type of spreadsheet math that UA seems to do quite well. it completely misses the bigger picture and doesn't look at multiple dynamic variables.

take for instance the family that gets a bunch of credit cards and 100k miles and then flies a family of 4 coast to coast round trip. in your argument, you're saying that's pure profit to UA because those seats would have otherwise gone unsold.

i'd argue that's wrong. perhaps if they didn't have those credit cards, the fmaily wouldn't travel, but most or at least some portion of folks would buy an airline ticket and still take their trip. maybe not on united, but some percentage would. you absolutely must account for that. there is absolutely revenue lost when someone redeems miles. it may not be 100% of the face value of a ticket, but if i was an airline ceo, and you brought that analysis into me, i'd throw you out of the room and say think bigger picture. i'd tell you to go run a monte carlo simulation, and calculate the probabilities of folks w credit card miles not traveling at all, traveling on other airlines, what the likely fare paid would be etc.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:03 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by luckypierre
It is inevitable..a natural extension of all the previous decisions, even ignoring the corporate sheepleness of United following DL's devaluation of their FF program. As a previous poster noted, when you consider how rickety their IT structure is, it will be interesting how successfully implement the program.
United will do exactly the same thing as soon as the JEFF9000 downloads and processes Delta's latest WWW updates. Obviously, United's JEFF unit hasn't been upgraded in decades, so it generally takes a few months for it to process Delta's latest updates. (Of course it will also have to determine that the change is not beneficial to customers first, so that might add a few extra weeks.)

Last edited by TomA; Aug 4, 2015 at 2:09 am
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by edvasquez
Time to start redeeming miles.
Well past the time to start redeeming miles. You should be done by now.

(from other post)

Miles have always been worth a penny, btw.

Incremental cost of an award seat is about 10 USD domestic, maybe 30-50 long haul. Miles redemptions are very profitable on a per seat basis.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Well past the time to start redeeming miles. You should be done by now.

(from other post)

Miles have always been worth a penny, btw.

Incremental cost of an award seat is about 10 USD domestic, maybe 30-50 long haul. Miles redemptions are very profitable on a per seat basis.
I am consistently getting a little better than 2 CPM in redemption value for domestic flights--I always book into coach, and significantly better internationally where I always book in J or F. For example, I've got an IAD-BKK, BKK-LAX itinerary in LH-F, TG-F, TG-F, and NH-F this month for 260K per person, which I value significantly more than $5,200-.

No fees for last-minute changes/cancellations for Plat. and above makes a huge difference because I often book 3 or 4 layered F and J reservations internationally, and cancel them as better options become available close-in, when F awards really open up. So, I am fully aware that the those below Plat. cannot get as good a yield for redemptions.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:34 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by TomA
United will do exactly the same thing as soon as the JEFF9000 downloads and processes Delta's latest WWW updates. Obviously, United's JEFF unit hasn't been upgraded in decades, so it generally takes a few months for it to process Delta's latest updates.
JEFF9000: "I've just picked up a fault in the AE35 unit. It's going to go 100% failure in 72 hours."

RNE, saying, "Open the pod bay doors, JEFF."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.