Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

If you stopped flying UA due to COVID, when will you start?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you stopped flying UA due to COVID, when will you start?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2021, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
When Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand open their borders to Americans. (without having to quarantine)
AND when USA stops return test! We are fully vaxxed, and have been since mid Feb, but won’t risk a false positive on the return!
(this is in regard to TATL/TPAC; we’ve been flying since June domestically, cautiously).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 24, 2021 at 6:02 pm Reason: Not the place for OMNI comments
Old Apr 24, 2021, 9:16 pm

I’m perfectly fine with testing (going & coming) and mask mandates, I just don’t want to spend the 5-14 days in quarantine at the start of my trip.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Really looking at late summer here. Work-wise we won't be allowing business travel unless vaccinated and only with approval from the top. Lack of travel hasn't damaged our business as much as those who miss their expense account and hotel/airline status would like to imagine. Guaranteed our travel expenses will be massively reduced going forward, I think pretty much on a permanent basis.

On the personal front, have a trip booked to the UK late summer, but also may be travelling at the end of May to deal with a personal situation. That would be my first trip since March last year. Not looking forward to it though - my routing is through FRA as there's no non-stop from SFO and I'd rather have one long flight I can sleep on. But this means I need tests 72 hours before SFO departure to satisfy the UK for entry, 48 hours before FRA arrival to satisfy Germany for transit, then on "Day 2" in UK quarantine, and then the same 72 and 48 for the return trip. I return on Day 3, so the Day 2 quarantine test result may not come back in time to satisfy my return journey, which would mean a separate airport or other test. I'll be spending half my life just coordinating testing and result gathering so I'm really hoping I can actually avoid the trip till things are calmer. Or hopefully by then there'll be a relaxation of what is required for vaccinated travelers as I will be 14 days past my second shot by then. Perhaps if every country just agreed on a single testing protocol per trip...
Old Apr 25, 2021, 1:10 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Now that wife & I are both vaccinated, starting to travel again. First trip is late May to FL, then June to CA. Hoping to be able to do a pleasure trip to London in late summer, as well as a bunch of domestic pleasure trips to Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 3:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Once UA is allowed to resume their flights to the required destination (PEK)....so likely not for a LONG time!
Old Apr 26, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Right now, targeting July (domestic). Haven't flown since JAN 2020. And it has definitely been tough on me.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 3:07 pm

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
Haven't flown since March 2020. Fully vaccinated and was to travel with my son (not old enough for vaccination yet) this past Friday. Had checked in Thursday morning and was excited since it was looking good for an upgrade for us (first tie that happened in a long time). Thursday afternoon, son started to not feel great -- tired, a little headache, and a slightly elevated temperature (99.9F which doesn't even count as a "fever" according to doctors and health checkers, but I know it isn't right). Obviously couldn't put him on a plane full of people, so cancelled the flights. Sure enough, son tested positive.

No idea when the next flight is, but at least with my vaccination and him having had it, we can feel pretty safe that we won't get it or transmit it to others. Probably try again in a month or two. Now just one other kid to worry about...
Old Apr 26, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Last flight was March 2020, maybe going to Hawaii in September if things go well. Not willing nor been asked to travel for business yet.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Starwood Platinum
Returning

First flight in 421 days on Friday. Personal travel. Work related travel resumes when certain countries open up hopefully not too long from now.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
August 2021, assuming cases are under control. We're taking the kids to Disney, a postponed 2020 trip. I'm vaxed, wifey should be by then, but the kids being vulnerable makes the number of active cases and current trend the variable.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 7:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Took my first trip in 14 months last week, just a short hop. I'm clearly out of practice, forgot my shirts and had to buy some new ones.

Next trip is a TATL mid-May, assuming no last minute hiccups.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by z28lt1
Haven't flown since March 2020. Fully vaccinated and was to travel with my son (not old enough for vaccination yet) this past Friday. Had checked in Thursday morning and was excited since it was looking good for an upgrade for us (first tie that happened in a long time). Thursday afternoon, son started to not feel great -- tired, a little headache, and a slightly elevated temperature (99.9F which doesn't even count as a "fever" according to doctors and health checkers, but I know it isn't right). Obviously couldn't put him on a plane full of people, so cancelled the flights. Sure enough, son tested positive.

No idea when the next flight is, but at least with my vaccination and him having had it, we can feel pretty safe that we won't get it or transmit it to others. Probably try again in a month or two. Now just one other kid to worry about...
That's so disappointing. Hope you son does well and recovers quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.