FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   If you stopped flying UA due to COVID, when will you start? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2038656-if-you-stopped-flying-ua-due-covid-when-will-you-start.html)

Weatherboy Apr 24, 2021 12:50 am

If you stopped flying UA due to COVID, when will you start?

In February and March, many were posting about their 1 year anniversary of not flying UA due to the pandemic. While many have returned to the skies, for those that haven't, when do you think you will?

I got a check-in call from United; they were seeing how I was doing and were curious when I'd return flying again. I told them unlikely until August, but a lot of it depends where I can go and how many hoops I need to jump through to get there. I'd love to go to SYD or AKL, but that won't be possible this year as an example.

They said in their talks with their other top customers, they see another wave coming back to the sky in June/July but another larger wavenof returning flyers coming in the fall.

goodeats21 Apr 24, 2021 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 33201452)
In February and March, many were posting about their 1 year anniversary of not flying UA due to the pandemic. While many have returned to the skies, for those that haven't, when do you think you will?

I got a check-in call from United; they were seeing how I was doing and were curious when I'd return flying again. I told them unlikely until August, but a lot of it depends where I can go and how many hoops I need to jump through to get there. I'd love to go to SYD or AKL, but that won't be possible this year as an example.

They said in their talks with their other top customers, they see another wave coming back to the sky in June/July but another larger wavenof returning flyers coming in the fall.

I have had to travel throughout COVID due to work, but in conversations with colleagues, etc. it does seems many are wanting to start travel again, now that they have been vaccinated.
That is what they were waiting for, and with vaccination numbers so high now, it has arrived.

Planes are packed recently, including soliciting volunteers at check-in for oversold flights.
And trying to book upcoming travel, finding flights that are sold out a week before departure.

There is pent up demand, and the flood gates are about to open, me thinks...

halls120 Apr 24, 2021 5:51 am

Our first post-COVID flight was set for mid-May, but we have pushed it back to July, since my spouse hasn't been vaccinated yet.

BlueZebra Apr 24, 2021 5:57 am

Flew in December and March. Next flight in late May. Now that we are fully vaccinated, will not double mask in May. Agree, demand should really be climbing into summer. Expecting fuller planes and busier airports...hoping UA will resume more routes soon, like SFO -DCA.

Say Vandelay Apr 24, 2021 6:14 am

Will start flying for business in September. The daily nonstops to where I need to go were discontinued last March, and I am not excited about having to connect, but I guess I need the 4 segments to have any kind of status going forward. Or maybe I should just fly another airline instead of UA.

rankourabu Apr 24, 2021 7:48 am

Whenever United starts flying back to Canada...

cfischer Apr 24, 2021 10:16 am

Once fully vaccinated. Starting in June for personal travel. My best guess is that business travel will resume in 2022 ... still not allowed unless there is a business emergency and with VP approval.

ContinentalFan Apr 24, 2021 10:53 am

It looks as if it’s June, maybe July, for me too. It’s going to be the longest period of time I’ve spent without flying since 1982.

uber1K_Flyer Apr 24, 2021 10:58 am

We will have our first flight in a week - we only started limited travel to see family that are vaccinated (my parents) once we were vaccinated. Our work still does not allow business travel. International travel likely will not functionally return until vaccination expands and case counts fall - currently the hurdles and risks are too high. Suspect 2022 will see a return of demand. That said, living in Chicago, if United doesn't do something to keep my business (as there is no way without business travel, esp international travel, to maintain 1K), I will def become more of a free agent and shop around.

jsloan Apr 24, 2021 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 33201452)

Once the FAA mask mandate ends, I'll fly whichever major carrier is first to drop their policy.

mahasamatman Apr 24, 2021 11:54 am

Our first post-vax UA flights (or any flights for that matter) are at the end of August.

WineCountryUA Apr 24, 2021 1:52 pm

If we start debating responses, we will go down one of the many COVID rabbit holes. Believe the OP's request was for when, under what circumstances you would return flying, This is asking for an individual responses, and not really debatable -- disagreeing is expressing your opinion, your reasoning, perhaps it would be more useful to the community to listen versus trying to "correct" the other person thinking or telling an individual how they are mistaken or wrong. If not yet resumed actively flying, when might you?

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

thesun Apr 24, 2021 2:11 pm

Just resumed flying after myself and the Mrs. reached 2 weeks after getting our second vaccine shot. We did a 1 week leisure trip. Our experience generally validated our decision not to travel until fully vaccinated.

FLYMSY Apr 24, 2021 2:38 pm

When Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand open their borders to Americans. (without having to quarantine)

Welltended3 Apr 24, 2021 5:34 pm

Last flight was return from Sydney January 2020. Cancelled 6 other trips including Hawaii and China and Indonesia.
Got fully vaccinated, business trip to Denver in June. Nervous because being high risk, we stopped going to indoors places over a year ago.
Would like to go to Hawaii, but only after testing stops. Too much drama getting it done timely.
if we had been flying I would have my MM by now to match my husband's.