Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2022, 5:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
Correct - there are multiple adjustments as well as manual ones (head rest, etc.):

David
Sort of. a lumbar, a footrest and then one general combo "tilt" adjustment (which was multiple adjustments in the prior generation). I find the latter very unsatisfactory in comparison.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 22, 2022 at 5:54 pm
Old May 22, 2022, 6:06 pm

1 of only 4 77O (32J) in the fleet is on its way to ORD

Old May 22, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
It’s very possible there are other adjustments I just haven’t been aware of how to make, but my overall experience has been the IPTE seats felt more adjustable—for instance with just moving one part of the seat, like recline, while keeping the position of the leg rest constant or vice versa.
I HATE this. If I put the thigh part of the seat all the way up to kick my feet up, and later decide to recline a bit more, the thigh thingy goes down to meet whatever the manufacturer decided is the cradle position for that amount of recline!
Old May 22, 2022, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UAFAM
1 of only 4 77O (32J) in the fleet is on its way to ORD
Showing as operating 2327 to SFO tomorrow evening, which would be a swap from the previously scheduled Polaris/PP 772. Wonder how they handled/will be handling the downgrades that need to happen.
Old May 22, 2022, 8:27 pm

New poster here - I am currently looking at 6/12 flight from LAX to EWR. Flying in J, but trying to avoid the 777HD. Which do you guys think is less likely to be swapped out for 772HD:
- UA 2335 which is currently intl config 772 with open suite Polaris and Premium Plus. Seat map shows PP is full (not sure how to see if United is blocking access or it really is full), and there are 29 occupied Business with at least 9 available for sale
- UA2259 which is currently 789 with the 2/2/2 config up front and 3/3/3 in back. No PP. Seat map shows 24 occupied Business with at least 9 available for sale
Same price as United is giving me a "free" change due to a change in schedule

2335's has better seat, if it sticks and doesn't get replaced by the 772HD. Would United replace a 789 with the 772HD?
Old May 22, 2022, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by JAaronT
I HATE this. If I put the thigh part of the seat all the way up to kick my feet up, and later decide to recline a bit more, the thigh thingy goes down to meet whatever the manufacturer decided is the cradle position for that amount of recline!
Yes, that’s exactly my gripe too! I didn’t have that problem with the old seats.
Old May 23, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by rlin5741
New poster here - I am currently looking at 6/12 flight from LAX to EWR. Flying in J, but trying to avoid the 777HD. Which do you guys think is less likely to be swapped out for 772HD:
- UA 2335 which is currently intl config 772 with open suite Polaris and Premium Plus. Seat map shows PP is full (not sure how to see if United is blocking access or it really is full), and there are 29 occupied Business with at least 9 available for sale
- UA2259 which is currently 789 with the 2/2/2 config up front and 3/3/3 in back. No PP. Seat map shows 24 occupied Business with at least 9 available for sale

2335's has better seat, if it sticks and doesn't get replaced by the 772HD. Would United replace a 789 with the 772HD?
I'd take the 789 flight — right now only 4 of the 38 789s have the old 2-2-2 configuration and all others are Polaris, so the seat map will probably be updated closer to departure when an aircraft is assigned and your odds of getting a Polarized 789 are pretty high, and I doubt they'll swap an 87 for a 77 close in as well. As for the 772 flight no one knows — it could stay 772 with Polaris (since the ex-UA international 772s are getting reactivated as well), or could swap to a HD
Old May 23, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by truncated
I'd take the 789 flight — right now only 4 of the 38 789s have the old 2-2-2 configuration and all others are Polaris, so the seat map will probably be updated closer to departure when an aircraft is assigned and your odds of getting a Polarized 789 are pretty high, and I doubt they'll swap an 87 for a 77 close in as well. As for the 772 flight no one knows — it could stay 772 with Polaris (since the ex-UA international 772s are getting reactivated as well), or could swap to a HD
Congrats on post #772 on the 772 thread!👍
Old May 23, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by rlin5741

PP is full and 15 seats left for 2335
21 seats left for 2259
Old May 23, 2022, 1:33 pm

I'm on a SFO-ORD (UA1964) tmrw night where they've already notified us that there's a swap & that seats (previously selected for a Polaris 777-2) are currently no longer assignable. The seat map is a big grey plane with the HD biz. UA's own status page shows 47 booked and 32 available. The sweet but unhelpful UA CSR I called yesterday didn't know how to respond.

I'd prefer to know what the deal is sooner so I can possibly even take a direct flight to where I'm going and avoid the connection on what's now a sub-par UA experience.

Should I be expecting a 1st come 1st served hunger games seat selection at checkin tonight or do they already have the lucky 15 picked?
Old May 23, 2022, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by DC2NYC
I'm on a SFO-ORD (UA1964) tmrw night where they've already notified us that there's a swap & that seats (previously selected for a Polaris 777-2) are currently no longer assignable. The seat map is a big grey plane with the HD biz. UA's own status page shows 47 booked and 32 available. The sweet but unhelpful UA CSR I called yesterday didn't know how to respond.

I'd prefer to know what the deal is sooner so I can possibly even take a direct flight to where I'm going and avoid the connection on what's now a sub-par UA experience. I can see UA kicking off lower elites before GS/1K or higher fare folks

Should I be expecting a 1st come 1st served hunger games seat selection at checkin tonight or do they already have the lucky 15 picked?
i would imagine the system has already reassigned/remove seats for those with "invalid" seat numbers on the new aircraft.
Old May 23, 2022, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by leftysauce
i would imagine the system has already reassigned/remove seats for those with "invalid" seat numbers on the new aircraft.
Not really, tonight flight shows 40/32 and tomorrow 47/32
Old May 23, 2022, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by DC2NYC
All of the seats are already assigned. I would expect either an advance call or a page at the gate for volunteers to reroute or downgrade in exchange for compensation, assuming it is indeed overbooked. Loads on flight status have been very unreliable since the website redesign.
Old May 23, 2022, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
All of the seats are already assigned. I would expect either an advance call or a page at the gate for volunteers to reroute or downgrade in exchange for compensation, assuming it is indeed overbooked. Loads on flight status have been very unreliable since the website redesign.
I think the loads are correct until they start upgrading.
N104UA and findark like this.
Old May 23, 2022, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by UAFAM
Not really, tonight flight shows 40/32 and tomorrow 47/32
I meant like the seat numbers were unassigned for some but they just haven't been "downgraded" to econ yet, and that's why the "booked" number still hasn't gone down yet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.