Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2022, 10:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
50 Polaris / 226 Y config doesn’t exist IIRC

It is either 28-32J or a 3 class with Prem Plus unless I have mixed things up
Old May 22, 2022, 12:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
50 Polaris / 226 Y config doesn’t exist IIRC

It is either 28-32J or a 3 class with Prem Plus unless I have mixed things up
PP isn't for sale as a separate class on that flight (probably because UA thinks a swap to 772HD could happen), so the system counts PP seats as E+.
uastarflyer likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 12:45 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by cesco.g
As long a s they're non-HD 777s it's still fine. The big gamble though are last-minute changes from a 50-seat Polaris plane to an HD.
I just booked onto the 787-10s, they are the HD config on seatmap and UA is not selling PP on those flights.
cesco.g likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 4:55 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Are the planes going through any service once they leave VCV, since it’s a boneyard does it have full service capabilities or UA will go through the complete interiors once they arrive at the first airport. I guess they could use a nice cleaning inside

Update: Good read, lots of service available at VCV

https://www.airplaneboneyards.com/so...e-boneyard.htm

Last edited by Flying Machine; May 22, 2022 at 5:03 am
Old May 22, 2022, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Merolis
I just booked onto the 787-10s, they are the HD config on seatmap and UA is not selling PP on those flights.
There are no “HD” 787s.

The last few messages seem to be confusing the selling of PP as a separate class with the configuration of the plane.

Premium Plus is only sold if UA has decided to market it as a separate class level of service and offer fares for that service on that route. Otherwise, it’s just sold as Y+. It’s been that way since the first PP cabins were installed, and has nothing specifically to do with the PW grounding or the potential for an aircraft swap.
Old May 22, 2022, 8:13 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
Premium Plus is only sold if UA has decided to market it as a separate class level of service and offer fares for that service on that route. Otherwise, it’s just sold as Y+.
Technically the P+ seats are simply sold as economy, not economy plus. Economy plus is not a separate class of service, nor is it separately fared. Economy plus seats are available for selection for a fee, or for free based on Premier status.
Old May 22, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I am hoping my IAD-SFO in a few weeks does not swap from a 77W to an HD 772 now—that said, if it does happen, it will feel a bit nostalgic to sit in an IPTE seat again. I just love that you can maneuver it into any possible position—I hate how J seats these days largely just have a few discrete preset positions. I just don’t want to end up in a middle seat.
Old May 22, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Checked a trip I am taking in July and a Polaris 772 was swapped out for an HD 772 on LAX-EWR. Would be more annoyed if it wasn’t the very late red-eye - I will be sleeping the whole flight regardless, and the old IPTE seat will do fine on that front.
Old May 22, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
There are no “HD” 787s.

The last few messages seem to be confusing the selling of PP as a separate class with the configuration of the plane.

Premium Plus is only sold if UA has decided to market it as a separate class level of service and offer fares for that service on that route. Otherwise, it’s just sold as Y+. It’s been that way since the first PP cabins were installed, and has nothing specifically to do with the PW grounding or the potential for an aircraft swap.
Meant to say the 772 are HDs, im going on a 787-10 to avoid the HD config.
Old May 22, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
I hate how J seats these days largely just have a few discrete preset positions.
I've never had a problem manoeuvering them into precise positions. You start with a preset, then tune to your liking.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 2:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I've never had a problem manoeuvering them into precise positions. You start with a preset, then tune to your liking.
The older seats had multiple "independent" adjustments. The new has just a single wheel control so the degree of control is less.
Old May 22, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The older seats had multiple "independent" adjustments. The new has just a single wheel control so the degree of control is less.
Actually, there are still things you can do independent of the wheel. At least I could, on my recent 787-9 flight.
Old May 22, 2022, 3:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Actually, there are still things you can do independent of the wheel. At least I could, on my recent 787-9 flight.
IME, not as much as the older seats
evol likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
It’s very possible there are other adjustments I just haven’t been aware of how to make, but my overall experience has been the IPTE seats felt more adjustable—for instance with just moving one part of the seat, like recline, while keeping the position of the leg rest constant or vice versa.
Old May 22, 2022, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Correct - there are multiple adjustments as well as manual ones (head rest, etc.):

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.