Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Yep, also confirmed by a trustworthy reporter on Twitter:
EWR764 likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Here's a bit more background on the situation: the FAA today approved a fix for PW4000 engines, as well as an inspection protocol, for the issues that led to the catastrophic failure in February 2021 on the DEN-HNL flight. This will enable the entire fleet to return to service.

The recent issue, over the last few weeks, which set service entry back another month or so, was an airworthiness directive requiring inspection of the air/oil heat exchangers on the PW4000 series, which was necessitated following an inflight shutdown (IFSD) incident on a ferry flight from SFO-HNL, en route to maintenance at HKG. That IFSD event was related to an oil leak attributable to corrosion in the heat exchanger, which is likely a consequence of long-term storage. The AD, therefore, called for inspection fo the entire PW4000 fleet within 30 days of the AD's effective date, May 2, 2022. That wrinkle, separate from the AD from the Denver incident, was probably what led the company to scrap the PW4000-powered 777s from the June schedule only, effective the May 6 update.

On November 9, 2021, a Boeing Model 777 airplane, powered by PW PW4077 engines, on a ferry flight from San Francisco, CA to Honolulu, HI, experienced an oil leak on the number 1 engine that resulted in an IFSD and air turnback to San Francisco, CA. A post-flight inspection revealed that the oil leak was from the air/oil heat exchanger. After this event, on December 19, 2021, the manufacturer was made aware of another oil leak related to the air/oil heat exchanger that was discovered during a post-flight inspection after the first flight out of storage. Subsequent investigation revealed 19 air/oil heat exchanger leaks occurred on the affected engines during the past year, which is significantly higher than the three to four air/oil heat exchanger leaks typically occurring each year. After further investigation, the manufacturer determined that the air/oil heat exchanger leak was due to corrosion. The manufacturer published Pratt & Whitney Special Instruction No. 255F-21A, dated February 15, 2022, which provides instructions for performing an inspection of the air/oil heat exchanger and, depending on the results of the inspection, replacement of the air/oil heat exchanger. This special instruction also provides instructions for storing an air/oil heat exchanger after the inspection. This condition, if not addressed, could result in low oil pressure, failure of one or more engines, IFSD, loss of engine thrust control, reduced control of the airplane, and loss of the airplane. The FAA is issuing this AD to address the unsafe condition on these products.
You can read more of that here: https://www.regulations.gov/document/FAA-2022-0386-0001

Presumably, the inspections are underway and no major anomalies have been identified, so a return to service (following today's approval of the major engine mod from the DEN incident) should be back on track.
cesco.g, SPN Lifer, aircam and 6 others like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 12:21 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Here's another article...I came to post thinking it was already covered and it was...Good work, FTers! But the interesting data point here is that the article suggest a return to service "as early as next week"...Should make for some interesting aircraft upgrades (and even downgrades) as they sub in and out.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/uni...?siteid=yhoof2

...Then watch for bedlam in the 'schedule change' threads. Those 'bout to get crazy for the summer here shortly!
SPN Lifer and wrp96 like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Would this have any impact on the July or August schedules? We're flying EWR-LAX-SYD and MEL-SFO-EWR. On the domestic legs we're on 757-200s and I'm trying to avoid a swap to a 772HD.
Old May 17, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Would this have any impact on the July or August schedules? We're flying EWR-LAX-SYD and MEL-SFO-EWR. On the domestic legs we're on 757-200s and I'm trying to avoid a swap to a 772HD.
Too early to say definitively. I bet they're prioritizing on finalizing equipment for the June schedules, when we might see some of the 772HDs and/or PW-powered 772ERs (with Polaris and PP) return to service.

If you do get a swap from a 752 to a 772HD, you could try calling in for a free change on the basis of a "change in seating configuration" or whatever the CoC defines under IRROPS.
Old May 17, 2022, 1:20 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
United gets green light to return 52 of its 777s to service

United plans to return these 777s to service on a limited basis on May 26, initially operating domestic, hub-to-hub routes, Cirium schedule data shows. It will begin using them for Hawaii service in June, followed by international service.
Old May 17, 2022, 1:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
I'm so happy to hear this news. The PWs on the 777 have my favorite engine sounds
SPN Lifer and AndyInSaigon like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ
I'm so happy to hear this news. The PWs on the 777 have my favorite engine sounds
1:06. And especially 1:13. Can’t wait for my UAUA OG 777s!

Old May 17, 2022, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I certainly won’t complain about more hub-hub widebodies. Used to love all the widebody love DEN got back in the day.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 2:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

https://youtu.be/P5wl3PjoMXs

This is my favorite one:

Right around 2:07
runner450 likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

https://youtu.be/P5wl3PjoMXs
those sounds almost puts me right in the seat for UA86/87 over NYC. LFG!
uastarflyer likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The Pratts definitely have an awesome soundtrack... it's no CF6-50 buzzsaw on a DC-10 but about as good as we can get these days!
Old May 17, 2022, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by EWR764
The Pratts definitely have an awesome soundtrack... it's no CF6-50 buzzsaw on a DC-10 but about as good as we can get these days!

Agreed, it always just sounds so powerful. It always made me feel comfortable and will continue to do so. Oddly, actually, it always brings a tear to my eye, why I have no idea.
SPN Lifer and SPLITTERZ like this.

Last edited by zoegksf; May 17, 2022 at 3:58 pm Reason: additional sap..
Old May 17, 2022, 9:32 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
OMG, you reminded me of my first flight on a UA DC-10 in 1989. That buzzsaw sound was scary!! I had flown on a lot of narrowbody jets before that and had never heard anything like it...
EWR764 likes this.

Last edited by Unimatrix One; May 17, 2022 at 9:39 pm
Old May 17, 2022, 10:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Getting back on topic

Andrew Nocella

So, late last night the FAA issued the final paperwork on our Pratt & Whitney-powered 777s which we have 52 of, represents about 10% of our capacity as a business. So it’s really, really material. They’ve been on the ground for well over a year. You really can’t rush safety, but we made it through the process and we expect to start flying the aircraft again ad hoc, probably within the next week, officially in a schedule on May 26 and then we’ll be ramping up to, partly about 30 to 35 aircraft by the time we get to July. So it is a pretty significant step-up change in our capacity and of course that capacity, the negative capacity has been hurting CASM-ex there is no doubt about that and getting the aircraft where you have pilots to fly and are ready to fly back in the air is going to be a real good tailwind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.