Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Mainland-Hawaii Lie-Flats

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2021, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by econ
SFO-HI fares have been pretty good throughout the year. They’ve gone up during the holidays but looks like back down to normal after early January. Probably helps that there’s non-stop competition as well.

Some hotels in Oahu can be fairly reasonable, but Maui is pretty outrageous (e.g. $400+ for the OGG airport Courtyard).
it’s like 700 week before Xmas
Old Dec 1, 2021, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by exp
Well the airfares are good, especially if you're wiling to fly Y. But the lodging and rental car rates are very high for the foreseeable future.

Could easily spend $10k for 2 weeks and you're not even staying in any special place or driving anything better than a compact car.
I'm planning to go to Maui and Kauai in February and this was my experience when booking. Airfares are still good for Y from Ohio though I'm flying F to get the lie-flats for the longest segments. UA was the best option here at booking. DL's options that involved ATL/MSP-HNL and back with a lie-flat were $2000-$2500+ one-way. UA and AA were about equal but UA (at the time) had better schedule options so I went with UA. Schedule changes have since made it to where AA would have been about an equal option but alas, what can you do?

But hotels and rental cars are insane for February in both Maui and Kauai. Thankfully using points in Maui for a full week at the fixed redemption rates before Marriott switches to dynamic pricing but rooms were $500+ for the Courtyard Marriott by OGG and any Marriott properties in Wailea or Lahaina are $700-$800+ per night even for a basic, non-ocean view room. Thankfully Kauai was a little more reasonable for lodging but far more expensive than the last time I stayed there or even considered staying there pre-pandemic. But rental car rates are insane on both islands. As others have noted, $700+ for a basic car for a week on Maui and running $150+ per day on Kauai.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 12:28 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I'm planning to go to Maui and Kauai in February and this was my experience when booking. Airfares are still good for Y from Ohio though I'm flying F to get the lie-flats for the longest segments. UA was the best option here at booking. DL's options that involved ATL/MSP-HNL and back with a lie-flat were $2000-$2500+ one-way. UA and AA were about equal but UA (at the time) had better schedule options so I went with UA. Schedule changes have since made it to where AA would have been about an equal option but alas, what can you do?

But hotels and rental cars are insane for February in both Maui and Kauai. Thankfully using points in Maui for a full week at the fixed redemption rates before Marriott switches to dynamic pricing but rooms were $500+ for the Courtyard Marriott by OGG and any Marriott properties in Wailea or Lahaina are $700-$800+ per night even for a basic, non-ocean view room. Thankfully Kauai was a little more reasonable for lodging but far more expensive than the last time I stayed there or even considered staying there pre-pandemic. But rental car rates are insane on both islands. As others have noted, $700+ for a basic car for a week on Maui and running $150+ per day on Kauai.
I'll probably research what a trip to Thailand would cost in February. Though it sounds like you have to jump through some hoops, it would be warm at least.

Though I'm in CA and the weather wouldn't be that much better in HA or Thailand in February.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:03 pm

I will be at the Marriot in Wailea in Feb. Thankfully for a work conference but yeah 700 bucks a night is about what our rate is (albeit an ocean view)
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Keep checking rental car rates - they might drop closer to travel date. We first booked our Nov. 10-15 Maui trip in early July, and booked our car (weekly rate - but for 5 days), at the time for a tad under $1300. I must have re-booked 7 times or so, maybe more, I lost count - as rates dropped, sometimes a $200+ at a time, sometimes like $20 at a time, and ended up ~$390.

Marriott's I was looking at (Sheraton/Westin in Kaanapali, mostly) were pretty stable, between $7-800/night before taxes/fees at cash rate for 5 nights, It was great value on points, which did drop once or twice...I think we initially booked at 260 or 270K, but then dropped to 250K maybe about a month before we needed up. We also considered Marriott Wailea, which initially wasn't showing any rooms for points, but then they appeared maybe in Sept/Oct. for 240K and stayed there for as long as I was checking. Was very tempted, and had a held booking there for a bit, but in the end, stayed with the Sheraton, as I think Kaanapali area was a better choice of area for what we personally wanted to get out of this trip. Maybe next time we'll try Wailea?
Old Dec 2, 2021, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exp
I'll probably research what a trip to Thailand would cost in February. Though it sounds like you have to jump through some hoops, it would be warm at least.

Though I'm in CA and the weather wouldn't be that much better in HA or Thailand in February.
I've been hesitant to book international travel due to concerns about country shut-downs or quarantines that could arise between when I book and when I travel that would result in my trip being canceled. I've also been hesitant to book it due to additional hurdles I'd have to jump through on my own end (not just hurdles imposed by that country but also hurdles for international travel that I have to deal with as a DoD member). I guess it still could happen in Hawaii but I'm at least much less concerned about it there and the hurdles I have to jump through to be able to go to Hawaii are far less.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Keep checking rental car rates - they might drop closer to travel date. We first booked our Nov. 10-15 Maui trip in early July, and booked our car (weekly rate - but for 5 days), at the time for a tad under $1300. I must have re-booked 7 times or so, maybe more, I lost count - as rates dropped, sometimes a $200+ at a time, sometimes like $20 at a time, and ended up ~$390.

Marriott's I was looking at (Sheraton/Westin in Kaanapali, mostly) were pretty stable, between $7-800/night before taxes/fees at cash rate for 5 nights, It was great value on points, which did drop once or twice...I think we initially booked at 260 or 270K, but then dropped to 250K maybe about a month before we needed up. We also considered Marriott Wailea, which initially wasn't showing any rooms for points, but then they appeared maybe in Sept/Oct. for 240K and stayed there for as long as I was checking. Was very tempted, and had a held booking there for a bit, but in the end, stayed with the Sheraton, as I think Kaanapali area was a better choice of area for what we personally wanted to get out of this trip. Maybe next time we'll try Wailea?
I've been constantly re-checking flights and hotels but that is good advice on the rental car as it's not one I usually relook at. I'm currently at the Sheraton but I keep checking hotels in case something else opens up for either fewer points or a better option opens for the same amount of points at another property. I have an ocean view room at the Sheraton that required the base points for 7 nights (including the "free" fifth night) plus about $50/night to upgrade to ocean view room over a standard room. With the buy-up, resort fee, and taxes, it'll run me about $700 extra over 7 nights. Right now the only redemptions at the Marriott Wailea are a non-ocean view room (no buy-up required; still have the resort fee and taxes) or rooms for the Points + Cash option where the cash required for that room is about $2500-$3500 for the week on top of the points. Similar story at the Westin in Ka'anapali just down the beach from the Sheraton.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe

I do realize this is off topic from the main thread about UA's service to Hawaii but responding to say this was solid advice as it's not something I'd ever done before (recheck rental car rates after booking). I did that today and I just rebooked my rental cars for both Maui and Kauai on my trip I'm planning to do in February as the rates dropped by $175-$200 for both. I'll happily take saving $350-$400 to get the same product.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 7:46 pm

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
Yeah I got 220 and 75 back on my car rentals. Hotel in KOA pretty stable rate of 1049 / night for Ocean View Deluxe at Mauna Lani. Not sure lie-flat worth it from west coast.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 2:42 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Fares have really come down for J tickets as we're at or just past the Omicron peaks in many state.

In another 2 weeks or so we should be well off the peaks, at which point J fares would probably rise again?
Old Jan 17, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by exp
Fares have really come down for J tickets as we're at or just past the Omicron peaks in many state.

In another 2 weeks or so we should be well off the peaks, at which point J fares would probably rise again?
Boosters to be required soon. Expect low fares except Presidents Day weekend, Spring Break, and then up a lot starting Memorial Day until after Labor Day weekend

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.