Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Mainland-Hawaii Lie-Flats

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2021, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by exp
Well I dawdled and prices are $400 or more since I checked a couple of weeks back.

The accommodations prices are higher on Kauai and Waikiki than it was a few weeks ago as well.

Looks like hotel/condo prices are up as well. After including taxes and resort fees, they're going for $300-400 or more a night for what looks like old/dated looking rooms, though many with ocean views in Kauai.

Car rental prices high as well.

I don't know if these prices are typical this time of the year or due to the unique conditions a year into the pandemic with limited destination options.
Unique conditions.

This is considered low season until Memorial Day weekend - the flights going into HNL have been fairly empty lately.

10,000 less rental cars on the islands than pre-pandemic - shipped to the mainland and sold off.

Hotels seem to be accepting lower occupancy in Waikiki in exchange for higher rates.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Unique conditions.

This is considered low season until Memorial Day weekend - the flights going into HNL have been fairly empty lately.

10,000 less rental cars on the islands than pre-pandemic - shipped to the mainland and sold off.

Hotels seem to be accepting lower occupancy in Waikiki in exchange for higher rates.
All true for Maui, too. UA flights have been ghost towns in back. Hotels are not discounting. Some (Wailea) even jacked prices during high season w/ 40% occupancies.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Hotels are not discounting. Some (Wailea) even jacked prices during high season w/ 40% occupancies.
Inelastic demand. Where else are you gonna go?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 12:54 pm

preferred routing to hawaii?

Is there a preferred first class option to fly into OGG?
Mid February for 2 weeks.

Leaving from DLH or MSP

looks like MSP DEN OGG would be a on a 777 wide body with lie flats for the long flight and a A320 for the shorter flight.

ORD HNL OGG would be a 787 with lie flats. (Select dates have this as a nonstop) albeit way more expensive
Everything else seems to be on a 737 which seems like the least preferred option.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by h0und10

Leaving from DLH or MSP

looks like MSP DEN OGG would be a on a 777 wide body with lie flats for the long flight and a A320 for the shorter flight.

ORD HNL OGG would be a 787 with lie flats. (Select dates have this as a nonstop) albeit way more expensive
Everything else seems to be on a 737 which seems like the least preferred option.
As discussed here frequently, in the front of the plane, the highest goal is usually 1-2-1 seating.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Daytime flights such as DEN-OGG I actually prefer the normal domestic first seats. They fit me better than the international seats. Red eye coming home I want the lie flat
Old Jul 6, 2021, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Daytime flights such as DEN-OGG I actually prefer the normal domestic first seats. They fit me better than the international seats. Red eye coming home I want the lie flat
Agreed. When I go home, I don't mind the stop at LAX or SFO and a 737 to HNL. I don't need (or even want) a lie-flat for a flight in the middle of the day. Coming back, I greatly prefer the redeye to DEN or even IAH, partially due to the availability of lie-flats but even more so because the longer flight time means a greater chance at getting some sleep. Since OP is coming from DLH or MSP, IAH is likely not an option.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

Leaving from DLH or MSP

I would avoid ORD in February - DEN seems to handle snow better and the more epic storms in DEN seem to come more springtime. All those airports are a gamble except HNL/OGG
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA MM

Leaving from DLH or MSP

I wouldn't worry about the weather when selecting a connection airport. In the zillion connections I've made at ORD, the only one I can remember missing which caused a long stay was due to maintenance.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

The current schedule for February is really just notional at this point.

Note that DEN could be operated by the "HD" version of the 772, which while lie flat, is 2-4-2 in business class. Of course, that aircraft could be swapped in on ORD as well. It's really anyone's guess at this point.

With the schedule uncertainty, I don't think I'd pay materially more for ORD right now. And I would definitely avoid the narrowbody (320 or 737) for the overwater segment. I find the domestic F seat very uncomfortable for anything over 2 hours or so.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I wouldn't worry about the weather when selecting a connection airport. In the zillion connections I've made at ORD, the only one I can remember missing which caused a long stay was due to maintenance.
I disagree. I've had to overnight at ORD a couple of times due to weather causing me to miss my connection. I've had long delays in my travels at ORD and other airports due to weather (either my flight not landing in time to make my connection or the originating aircraft for the connection not being able to get in at all and having to rebook to another later flight).
Old Sep 25, 2021, 4:50 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Have been tracking some flights for February.

Fares dropped but then it turns out there are two SFO-LIH nonstops on this particular date, one departing in the morning and one in the late afternoon.

The morning one is a 737, no lie flat. The late afternoon one is a 757.

I'd heard that late January to early February is not necessarily shoulder season, so that may be why two flights are scheduled.

But vastly different equipment ...
Old Sep 25, 2021, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by exp
...But vastly different equipment ...
Not unusual on the same route between any two airports with multiple mainline frequencies.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by exp
Have been tracking some flights for February.

Fares dropped but then it turns out there are two SFO-LIH nonstops on this particular date, one departing in the morning and one in the late afternoon.

The morning one is a 737, no lie flat. The late afternoon one is a 757.

I'd heard that late January to early February is not necessarily shoulder season, so that may be why two flights are scheduled.

But vastly different equipment ...
This is the placeholder schedule for SFO-LIH IIRC. Expect it to change. For example, over the summer and into September, the morning flight was a 763 and the evening flight was a 738. In October, both flights are 738s. In November, the morning flight becomes a 752 (with lie-flats) while the evening flight remains a 738.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 11:16 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
For some reason, most KOA-LAX day flights seem lie-flat 757 too, while the red-eyes are on the 737 - shame.

Doing a HNL-ORD in December; hoping it stays on the Polaris 772. It's long enough of a red-eye that lie-flat is a must.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.