Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Mainland-Hawaii Lie-Flats

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
correct - Premium Economy is marketed on long-haul HI from IAD, EWR, ORD, IAH
And PE equipped aircraft from/to DEN.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 8:23 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
So maybe not a lot of difference between a 738 recliner in First and a PP on a 772?

And with the pandemic, food and drink service in premium cabin isn't much to write home about.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by exp
So maybe not a lot of difference between a 738 recliner in First and a PP on a 772?
Doesn't PE have a leg and footrest? That would be material to me.
darkrider likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Definitely a footrest. I keep trying to sit in a PE seat, but I keep getting upgraded . I think PE would be fine daytime between West Coast to Hawaii, having spent many a butt-day in domestic F seats across the water as a reference. I think they look to be better than domestic F, comfort-wise. My best chance is 12/23 HNL-SFO - got my PE seat locked up and (almost) hoping First sells out.
Kacee likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 21, 2021 at 8:57 pm
Old Nov 21, 2021, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by exp
If traveling solo, I’d rather be in a domestic F recliner rather than PE.

I sat in a PE seat on this route a few weeks ago (PP request did not clear) and the difference in shoulder room between the two was noticeable.

Actually, in that scenario to me I’d almost prefer an E+ seat if I knew I’d have an empty middle.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
yes to legrests. And bigger screens, I think. As per above, was in a P+ seat SFO-OGG, and IMO, more comfortable than most, if not all, UA domestic F seats I’ve sat in, with pitch that is >= domestic F seats. The biggest potential minus is the ability to end up flying alone in one of the 2 middle seats in the middle section of 4 in terms of harder to get out into the aisle as you need, but then again, you could end up with that issue in Y (or the domestic 777s in biz, if those come back).
Old Nov 22, 2021, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by emcampbe
yes to legrests. And bigger screens, I think. As per above, was in a P+ seat SFO-OGG, and IMO, more comfortable than most, if not all, UA domestic F seats I’ve sat in, with pitch that is >= domestic F seats.
PE pitch is listed at 38" which is the same as older UA domestic F. Most refitted UA F cabins are 37", though with the new seats, pitch is a bit less important because the seat slides to recline, so the seatback doesn't actually move back nearly as much. DL and AA have gone as low as 36" on some aircraft (whereas AS's new F cabins are 41"). PE has 6 inches of recline, which is better than virtually all UA domestic F at 4 or 5".
Old Nov 22, 2021, 9:50 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Just a few observations/comments to share from my SFO-HNL flight yesterday.
Row 20 has leg rests, rows 21 and 22 have footrests. I was in 21J and a bit concerned about flying in a middle seat, with a broken foot and in a fracture boot. It was surprisingly easy to hop into the seat from the aisle and there was more than enough space to accommodate my boot. The footrest, which to me looks like two bike pedals, could be raised out of the way. In my opinion the seat was more comfortable than flying up front in a domestic aircraft. My Platinum seat mate on the aisle commented that until recently she had been upgraded to Business every flight. Well, the holidays…

You have to be a contortionist to access the headset jack, power, and USB ports, so it’s best to plug in while standing. I didn’t have that option and the controls were on the side of my non-dominant hand so it was extra difficult from a seated position.

Kacee likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Pat89339
Just a few observations/comments to share from my SFO-HNL flight yesterday.
Row 20 has leg rests, rows 21 and 22 have footrests. I was in 21J and a bit concerned about flying in a middle seat, with a broken foot and in a fracture boot. It was surprisingly easy to hop into the seat from the aisle and there was more than enough space to accommodate my boot. The footrest, which to me looks like two bike pedals, could be raised out of the way. In my opinion the seat was more comfortable than flying up front in a domestic aircraft. My Platinum seat mate on the aisle commented that until recently she had been upgraded to Business every flight. Well, the holidays…

You have to be a contortionist to access the headset jack, power, and USB ports, so it’s best to plug in while standing. I didn’t have that option and the controls were on the side of my non-dominant hand so it was extra difficult from a seated position.

Cool descriptive pic. Looks like exercise bike pedals you can use during flight
Pat89339 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Cool descriptive pic. Looks like exercise bike pedals you can use during flight
For taller flyers in PE seats, the issue with the footrests is that they impinge on the footwell space since the footrests are attached to the seat in front of yours.

Makes it even harder to get comfortable for folks with longer legs and bigger feet - broken foot and fracture boot notwithstanding.

David
Old Nov 22, 2021, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by econ
If traveling solo, I’d rather be in a domestic F recliner rather than PE.

I sat in a PE seat on this route a few weeks ago (PP request did not clear) and the difference in shoulder room between the two was noticeable.

Actually, in that scenario to me I’d almost prefer an E+ seat if I knew I’d have an empty middle.
Totally agree. The Domestic F seat is better than the PE seat and an E+ row with the middle open is > that PE. Only time I'll be paying a premium for PE is if E is completely full and I'm not traveling alone. Also all of the day of departure upgrades I've been offered for PE have been $100 less than upgrading into J. That makes a J upgrade a no brainer if it's available for only $100 more than PE.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Pat89339

agree on this - I’m not sure who designed that. In fact, it’s hard to even find unless you know where to look, because it’s hiding under the armrest as well. definitely pretty much a requirement to move the armrest up to access the headphone jack, but even with that, not very easy to plug in.

that said, I’m not sure the old CO BF seats were
much better - the only really better thing is that they weren’t covered by an armrest, but still probably harder to access behind you. Mind you, I’ve only been in those seats a couple of times, but first time I tried to plug in there, first thing I wondered was how could someone intentislly design it like this?
Pat89339 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 1:22 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Thinking of going to HNL and either KOA or OGG in February. Also thinking of flying KOA/OGG in the morning of the departure before flight back to SFO.

Is it advisable?

Say I fly back from OGG or KOA to HNL before a 9:45 AM departure to SFO on UA?

Obviously it would be more advisable to do a muticity, fly into or out of HNL to the US and fly into or out of OGG or KOA.

The only reason why I ask s no flatbeds from OGG or KOA to SFO that I could see.​​​​​​​
Old Nov 26, 2021, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by exp
Thinking of going to HNL and either KOA or OGG in February. Also thinking of flying KOA/OGG in the morning of the departure before flight back to SFO.

Is it advisable?

Say I fly back from OGG or KOA to HNL before a 9:45 AM departure to SFO on UA?

Obviously it would be more advisable to do a muticity, fly into or out of HNL to the US and fly into or out of OGG or KOA.

The only reason why I ask s no flatbeds from OGG or KOA to SFO that I could see.
I'm not sure I'm entirely deciphering your post. I wouldn't purposely backtrack to HNL to get a lie-flat on a morning flight - I'd book the direct OGG-SFO or KOA-SFO - and get more sleep in your hotel bed. You'll likely have strong tailwinds in February/Winter, so the flight likely won't even be that long.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'm not sure I'm entirely deciphering your post. I wouldn't purposely backtrack to HNL to get a lie-flat on a morning flight - I'd book the direct OGG-SFO or KOA-SFO - and get more sleep in your hotel bed. You'll likely have strong tailwinds in February/Winter, so the flight likely won't even be that long.
I thought there was some lie flats from OGG to SFO some of the 752s have lie flats I believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.