Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
I have had a long crazy day... Seems like United did some aircraft swapping and had some computer system problems today.

On the RDU-IAH flight they were over booked in First due to an equipment swap and I had received a CPU a couple of days before. When I spoke to the gate agent she offered me a $250 voucher to downgrade to economy which I accepted. The agent was having computer problems and printed the ETC with the wrong name on it. She couldn't get it fixed in time so she told me to go to customer service when I landed, give them my confirmation number and ask them to re-print. So I went to the customer service center and did just that. The lead agent looked it up but he could not find any notes on it and was unable to help me. He said all I could do is explain what happened on united.com/customercare. I don't understand why this happened but if anyone has any advise let me know.

On my second flight IAH-PHX they were overbooked by 4 and I took a $500 voucher for taking a later flight. Also got $60 in food vouchers.

On my new later second flight they were again over booked and needed 2. They were offering $600 to take a flight the next morning. It was a tempting offer but I had to pass.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyguy6
.... The agent was having computer problems and printed the ETC with the wrong name on it. She couldn't get it fixed in time so she told me to go to customer service when I landed, give them my confirmation number and ask them to re-print. ....
In reality, you should have no trouble using the ETC with the wrong name. All you need is the PIN code and last name on the ETC and that can be used by anyone.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 19, 2018 at 2:13 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Last week received an upgrade and was never notified. Realized when I pulled up app mid-flight and got a push notification about new seat.
Went to lav and saw someone else sitting in my assigned seat. I didn't say anything to anyone during the flight.

Sent a note to UA when I landed asking for my RPU back and provided photographic evidence I was in coach during flight. I received a form letter reply back that didn't address the issue. I replied and received another form letter back and offer for 5,000 miles. I rejected the mileage offer and received a letter back saying I was now foregoing all compensation for the incident. When I asked for a third time about having RPU redeposited they finally followed-through.

No apology. No care. No concern. Great job, United.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In reality, you should have no trouble using the ETC wit the erong name. All you need is the PIN code and last name on the ETC and that can be used by anyone.
Good idea but it seems to be invalid when I check on https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...s/default.aspx . I get the error below. Maybe the agent canceled it before she tried to generate the new.

! We could not process your request. Please see the message below and make revisions.
! We did not recognize the offer code entered.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Wanted to get thoughts:

After a generally awful week of travel, including a forced overnight, baggage and crew issues, etc. I misconnected for my flight home because my inbound flight was 1:30 late due to maintenance.

Next available flight means if it goes on schedule I'm getting home 3:59 late ...

​​​​​​Trying to decide if it's worth asking 1KV for anything. I know "4 hours" is the magic number for proactive recovery, but unsure if that applies to ultimate arrival at final destination or single leg only... And I'll be 1 minute shy of that anyway.

As it turns out a FA friend/relative is starting a trip tonight so I'm making lemonaid by having dinner...but still was looking forward to getting home.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Wanted to get thoughts:

After a generally awful week of travel, including a forced overnight, baggage and crew issues, etc. I misconnected for my flight home because my inbound flight was 1:30 late due to maintenance.

Next available flight means if it goes on schedule I'm getting home 3:59 late ...

​​​​​​Trying to decide if it's worth asking 1KV for anything. I know "4 hours" is the magic number for proactive recovery, but unsure if that applies to ultimate arrival at final destination or single leg only... And I'll be 1 minute shy of that anyway.

As it turns out a FA friend/relative is starting a trip tonight so I'm making lemonaid by having dinner...but still was looking forward to getting home.
I would try to ask still ask for compensation. I had this happen to me and I received a $100 voucher. In my message I said what the exact times which were 3 hours 55 mins and in parentheses I said about 4 hours. At the time I had silver status, so as a 1k I would expect more $$$.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:30 pm

I just had a bad flight from SFO-OGG.

I upgraded the wife and I to 1st and the air was not working, we were sweating pretty bad the entire flight. Nothing they could do.I am told.

Also the wifi was not working. They announced it when we boarded.

Any thoughts on what United might offer?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by divilish
I just had a bad flight from SFO-OGG.

I upgraded the wife and I to 1st and the air was not working, we were sweating pretty bad the entire flight. Nothing they could do.I am told.

Also the wifi was not working. They announced it when we boarded.

Any thoughts on what United might offer?
Status?

Total guess: $200 for Platinum or lower.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Status?

Total guess: $200 for Platinum or lower.
No status at all......

Sounds reasonable, I left the e-mail fly.

Is that per-person or total?

And thanks for the quick reply1
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No status at all......

Sounds reasonable, I left the e-mail fly.

Is that per-person or total?

And thanks for the quick reply1
Per person.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Is there a time limit for how long you have to write United about an issue with a flight? I flew a month ago, had an email drafted about several issues with the flight, and it accidentally saved to my drafts. Can I send it now and expect something, or will that likely result in no comp because my email is not timely.

Unrelated question: is not getting your first meal choice as a Platinum member something that can result in compensation? In addition to FEBO/whatever order they take orders in, aren't they supposed to prioritize meal choice by status? I was recently on a P.S. flight on a 752 and both my first and second choices were unavailable. I find it hard to believe that my status was factored into choices if I was effectively left with no choice on a flight with a business class cabin that seats only 16 people.

Another question. If United offers miles as compensation, can you reply back and say you'd prefer an ETC for the equivalent amount?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 23, 2018 at 3:51 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by VX N281VA
....is not getting your first meal choice as a Platinum member something that can result in compensation? ...
Doubtful you will get any consideration -- may be a token, sorry you were unhappy.
....In addition to FEBO/whatever order they take orders in, aren't they supposed to prioritize meal choice by status? ....
Plat has no meal status, only GS/1Ks and there still is not unconditionally guarantee. for more

see Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins

.... If United offers miles as compensation, can you reply back and say you'd prefer an ETC for the equivalent amount?
You can definitely go from ETC to miles, suspect a request to go from miles to ETC is possible -- rate is 2 cpm (50 miles -> $1)
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Non-functioning wifi on a recent flight from SFO-PEK in paid J (P class, actually, if that matters). No proactive compensation email was sent, so I emailed Customer Care (the Premier Voice website still seems to be broken and won't let you select dates in the past, which is important when you're trying to write in regarding past flights!). Got an email reply back with 3750 miles automatically deposited in my account. This is the first time I've ever NOT been given an option of ETC or miles. I know I can request ETC instead. Also, 3750 miles (or a $75ETC) seems light for non-functioning WiFi on a TPAC paid business flight, doesn't it? Any suggestions on how I should word a response to them to ask for more? I've been given more for non-functioning WiFi on economy domestic flights!
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Doubtful you will get any consideration -- may be a token, sorry you were unhappy.
No worries, just seemed a little cheap for a PS flight not to have enough food stocked for like 1/4 of the cabin to get choices they didn't want. No biggie.

Plat has no meal status, only GS/1Ks and there still is not unconditionally guarantee. for more
Didn't know that - i think i might have mixed this up with Delta. Thanks for clarifying.

You can definitely go from ETC to miles, suspect a request to go from miles to ETC is possible -- rate is 2 cpm (50 miles -> $1)
Thanks - I'll report back
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...Also the wifi was not working. They announced it when we boarded...
Well, probably nothing for this. WiFi is not available between west coast and Hawaii on most planes United uses. It's not "broken" - it's just not available due to satellite coverage. It is routine on most Hawaii-bound flights to tell the passengers onboard that WiFi is not available - don't immediately assume it's "broken". United advises passenger of this before they swipe their cards and only get 5 minutes of WiFi coverage before they're out of range. What type of plane were you on? Here's what is provided on the most used a/c to OGG (note - Hawaii is not part of the continental U.S.):

Your only compensation complaint is probably about the a/c.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 23, 2018 at 12:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.