Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Then I'd go with Australia.....and I don't want those black boxes to come to the USA since if either data cannot be extracted or there's an error made when doing so that destroys some of the data, this would be so much worse for Boeing and the FAA/NTSB. I trust them, but I don't want even the slightest risk of the investigation being viewed as rigged in any way.

OTOH, IMO it's almost criminal that the black boxes weren't immediately sent for analysis as soon as they were found. Plans for where to send them should have been arranged in advance instead of waiting for days (with those MAX 8s still flying around and/or being grounded) before even asking Germany.
The stated justification for sending the boxes to Europe is to minimize the time zone difference between Ethiopia and the location where the data is being recovered. With this justification, sending the boxes to Australia makes no sense.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Not looking good so far - early news indicates the jackscrew was found in a position that indicated a full nose-down attitude, similar to the Lion Air crash. This is a contributing factor to the urgent grounding that took place in the USA.

Something shoved that airplane nose down with such veracity the pilot was unable to bring it up.

So now my question is thus - what pilot reports exist that indicate similar behavior by automated flight control systems that the pilot was able to override and restore normal attitude? Do such reports exist that might indicate a trend showing a serious, dangerous defect, and at the same time, pilot error in mishandling the defect with these two crashes?
So it seems runaway trim response by FP would eliminate the MCAS continuous addition of nose-down trim until it hits max and there’s no more trim.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by surram
Many thanks EWR764 for your detailed explanations. Appreciate it. The "flaw" reference that I made is the 'inherent aerodynamic instability in the MAX' - based on the opinion of Captain Girish Kaushik - the excerpt from the link below:
It's not an instability. It's a difference in control feel.

The new engines on the MAX have higher residual thrust at idle. They've also been mounted higher and farther forward. The result is that in steep turns, and high angles-of-attack, the control wheel forces in the pitch access are lighter than they would be on a 737 NG. The MCAS system adds a nose-down bias, in this situations, in order to produce a similar control feel across all models.

Boeing didn't initially include information on the MCAS system because it is invisible to us in the cockpit. We can't see it. We don't know when it is operating, and there's nothing we can do about it. There was already an applicable procedure to follow in case of invalid MCAS activation--the runaway stabilizer procedure. I know a lot more today about MCAS than I did prior to these accidents but that knowledge doesn't help me if I were ever faced with a similar situation. It's nice to know but what good does that do for me?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tryathlete

So it seems runaway trim response by FP would eliminate the MCAS continuous addition of nose-down trim until it hits max and there’s no more trim.
Or what is causing the trim response - is it a computer software malfunction, the software confused by bad inputs due to a hardware issue, or an actual mechanical failure or breakage?

The condition of the crash site is not helping matters, apparently there is widespread looting and theft, and the Ethiopian govt did not secure the site properly and is still not doing so.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Or what is causing the trim response - is it a computer software malfunction, the software confused by bad inputs due to a hardware issue, or an actual mechanical failure or breakage?

The condition of the crash site is not helping matters, apparently there is widespread looting and theft, and the Ethiopian govt did not secure the site properly and is still not doing so.
The FDR will be able to tell us what the AOA sensors were reading (and feeding) to the flight control computer from takeoff to impact. That will be among the first places investigators look (assuming the data can be obtained) to begin to rule out the Lion Air scenario.

Crashes into poor, rural areas are susceptible to pilferage from the accident scene. I'm currently involved in a case where an aircraft plunged into the ground in a remote area of a relatively impoverished nation, and what little wreckage there was had been pretty well picked over by the time investigators got to it. Anecdotally, I heard investigators were out scouring scrapyards for a ~50 mile radius to see if people were attempting to sell aircraft parts they had found, and sure enough, some key pieces of wreckage were recovered this way. Getting to a crash scene and securing the site is priority #2 after rescue/firefighting operations, for many reasons.

The other, absolutely absurd thing that just came to mind is the same-day photo op of Ethiopian CEO Tewolde Gebremariam, in business-casual attire, picking through pieces of wreckage in the impact crater. Once it is clear that rescue is impossible (within the first, say, 3-4 seconds of surveying the site) and there's no further risk to lives and property, that scene has to become airtight. I can understand the PR interests of presenting the CEO as sympathetic and engaged in the investigative process, but that was ludicrous. Similarly, after the Lion Air crash, passenger belongings were simply dumped on tarps and friends/family were turned loose to sift through the piles for their loved ones' belongings. Pretty sickening.

For those reasons, and many more, I have tremendous faith in the reliability of the NTSB's processes in handling major crash investigation. There's nobody in the world better at what they do (and this is coming from someone who, to earn a living, actively looks for ways to criticize NTSB findings) so it is upsetting for me to see the integrity of the American investigative board and aviation regulator blithely called into question over partisan politics. We're better than that.

Last edited by EWR764; Mar 15, 2019 at 1:23 pm
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I agree. It's incredibly disheartening to see Chairman Sumwalt on TV, but he seems to be objective and incredibly experienced.

Originally Posted by EWR764
For those reasons, and many more, I have tremendous faith in the reliability of the NTSB's processes in handling major crash investigation. There's nobody in the world better at what they do (and this is coming from someone who, to earn a living, actively looks for ways to criticize NTSB findings) so it is upsetting for me to see the integrity of the American investigative board and aviation regulator blithely called into question over partisan politics.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Where are they now?

Does anyone know where UA's Max fleet is now? Unless they ferried them away, I imagine there's a bunch in Hawaii.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:10 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Does anyone know where UA's Max fleet is now? Unless they ferried them away, I imagine there's a bunch in Hawaii.
Here you go:

Flightradar24 UA fleet.

I'm not about to click on all the frames, but you can if you are so inclined.

It shows the last few flights - just click on B39M, and all the 737-9 MAX frames pop up (suggest "open in new window/tab" unless you want to go to main UA page after each lookup).
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The two MAXs in Hawaii are ferrying (empty) nonstop to IAH. The rest of the fleet will eventually be at SFO and IAH where UA has plenty of ramp space to park the fleet for the time being.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:51 pm

I couldn't tell if there's a separate thread to discuss this, but have folks generally been successful at changing their flight on a 737-9 MAX for a reservation that's 3+ months away without incurring any fees (assuming origin/destination and travel date remain the same)?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
The two MAXs in Hawaii are ferrying (empty) nonstop to IAH.
Surprised they'd burn all the extra fuel to get them to IAH versus parking them at SFO.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by silentbob1974
I couldn't tell if there's a separate thread to discuss this, but have folks generally been successful at changing their flight on a 737-9 MAX for a reservation that's 3+ months away without incurring any fees (assuming origin/destination and travel date remain the same)?
In the short term after the EA incident UA was allowing people to move to a different airframe without change fees. But now that the MAX 9 is grounded, any future flights that show it as a possible airframe shouldn't be considered gospel. Even if a MAX 9 was not shown, there is always the possibility of a future swap in.

Once the MAX series is cleared to fly again, I highly doubt UA/SW/AA is going to have an official policy allowing pax to switch for free out of fear of flying on the MAX series. Maybe an unofficial policy for a while if you call in and complain enough, but eventually the "fear factor" will pass.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:16 pm

Interestingly enough some of them were ferried to HOU instead of IAH. Any one know why? Not enough parking space at IAH?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:10 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by altbg
Interestingly enough some of them were ferried to HOU instead of IAH. Any one know why? Not enough parking space at IAH?
Believe they do some maintenance work at HOU - not sure which models. My educated guess would be that UA management anticipates some sort of fix that would be performed there.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I know a lot more today about MCAS than I did prior to these accidents but that knowledge doesn't help me if I were ever faced with a similar situation. It's nice to know but what good does that do for me?
I know you're not speaking on behalf of the union or airline, but man I wish you were the union spokesman.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.