Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:16 am

People around me generally have no idea what sort of plane they're on. I'm not even sure they really know the difference between Boeing or Airbus, or whether it's a 777, 757, A330, etc, let alone differentiating between various 737s, etc......however, almost everyone around me has expressed concerns on flying on the Max and would rather avoid it, if at all possible. Personally, while I have no strong views one way or the other, I would not fly nor would I allow family to fly on the Max, until after a period of time where we'd have enough time and sample size to be assured of its air worthiness.

While I may find BA attractive at current valuations (relatively speaking, of course) and will bet the public will either forget or be unaware, I'd personally avoid the Max, at least for the time being.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Sorry but my experience with the general flying public in the past few months is that very few of them know of or are thinking about the MAX. Some now have a vague recollection that there was something about some planes crashing somewhere but most of those don't remember what planes, where, who flew them, or anything else. Right now, people just want to get to where they're going and most simply are not cognizant of what aircraft they are flying.
Whenever MAX comes back on line, if it ever does, it will receive enormous publicity, and I bet you will immediately see travelers demanding that airlines allow them off of MAX flights.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Perhaps. I don't have a crystal ball, I have current observations and analysis of past public behavior. How many people were aware of the runaway acceleration problems Toyota had 10 years ago or 5 years ago after they were charged by the FBI? How many people decided they weren't buying Toyotas because of them?

https://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/toyot...ry?id=22972214
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E...ehicle_recalls
https://www.mnn.com/green-tech/trans...ation-is-serio
https://www.bestattorney.com/auto-de...eleration.html
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...tion/15477263/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...572_story.html
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Perhaps. I don't have a crystal ball, I have current observations and analysis of past public behavior. How many people were aware of the runaway acceleration problems Toyota had 10 years ago or 5 years ago after they were charged by the FBI? How many people decided they weren't buying Toyotas because of them?

https://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/toyot...ry?id=22972214
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E...ehicle_recalls
https://www.mnn.com/green-tech/trans...ation-is-serio
https://www.bestattorney.com/auto-de...eleration.html
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...tion/15477263/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...572_story.html
Weak analogy. A car doesn't kill 150 people in one fell swoop.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
People also view air travel and ground transportation very differently.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
How many people kept flying 747's after the TWA plane blew up after taking off from JFK? And still have a fascination with it.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
How many people kept flying 747's after the TWA plane blew up after taking off from JFK? And still have a fascination with it.
The aircraft involved was a 747-100 and to my knowledge the remainder of that passenger fleet didn't last much more than 3-5 years after that accident. In fact, TWA didn't last much more than 5 years after that accident.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Whenever MAX comes back on line, if it ever does, it will receive enormous publicity, and I bet you will immediately see travelers demanding that airlines allow them off of MAX flights.
No doubt you’re right. The question becomes whether it’s 0.1%, 1%, 10%, or more. I’m guessing it will be on the lower side of that scale.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by spin88
Airlines will usually only go with a different type of narrow body aircraft when their is a real advantage in doing so (which counter-acts the extra costs from a new type). Airbus has cracked open a number of doors with the A321 and now the A321neoLR as Boeing lacks a really comparable plane. (Note this is what got UA to buy its airbuses in the 90s, and AAL to buy the neo recently, Boeing had no comparable aircraft). But outside of the A3210neo/A321neoLR gateway drug for Airbus, the MAX and neo are similar enough in the smaller sizes that it makes little since (before the current MAX issues) to look at the other aircraft.
Re-upping this thought from a week ago in light of UA ordering 50 A321xlr aircraft (delivery in 2024). That is far more than the current fleet of 16 J equipped 757s. United has long suggested that it was going to use the MAX10 on similar routes, and I wonder what this does for UA long term. For example, do they really want a fleet of MAX10s for ex-PS routes (equipped with J) and then a fleet of longer range but similarly sized A321s? The A321neo is a more comfortable aircraft than the MAX (7" wider cabin, more spacious feel even beyond the cabin width due to larger cross section) and the A321neo is a more capable aircraft than the so far untried MAX10 with its jury rigged telescoping landing great.

Were I United I would be looking really carefully at the MAX10, asking if it was an aircraft I really wanted to take and then have long term. Seems like ordering some more A321neos (not xlr version, just regular) and equipping them for the PS routes is a much better idea than taking on the MAX10 with its possible issue.

Again, the A321 line is a gate way drug for Airbus....

Originally Posted by dilanesp
Obviously, what's in the pipeline is in the pipeline, and airlines who ordered the MAX would take an incredibly large loss if they had to scrap it.

But I suspect this has a massive effect on Boeing in the long term. Because if you are UA, AA, or WN, and you are planning your next aircraft order, are you going to go anywhere near the MAX right now? Or are you going to order an Airbus neo?
Again these exchanges were before UA's order of 50 a321xlr, but I think is highly suggests that airlines have lost some faith in Boeing. Question is if the other shoe drops and airlines (specifically UA with the MAX10) decide to bail on the MAX10 at least, or to a lesser degree the MAX9. Even before the current issues there was a big gap in orders. 82 MAX7s (it is being killed by the A220 and other large RJs), 3221 MAX8s, but only 474 MAX9s, and 521 MAX10s. No reputable airline has ordered large numbers of MAX10s except UA's order for 100. The other big orders are 80 for VietJet and 50 for Lion Air (which I am 110% sure will be eventually cancelled), and 50 for flydubai.

The contrast with the 2844 orders for the a321neo is quite sharp. And Airbus' orders are with major airlines 120 with AA, 25 with Asiana, 32 with CX, 100 with DL, 85 Jet Blue, 30 KAL, 40 LH, 64 Quantas, 50 Qatar, 92 Turkish.

The bottom line is that the MAX9/10 being sucky aircraft were already causing Boeing problems prior to the MCAS issues. Having more airlines (see UA) go with the A321neo - in regular or xlr range - as Boeing dithers is not long term good for Boeing.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'm actually surprised that not every flier would flock to the MAX - it certainly will be the most tested airplane for safety before it takes the sky.
I always flock to the airplane where a design flaw two brand new planes into the ground in the first two years of operations, and that has seats in Y which are 1" narrower and those super special slim line bathrooms that are 24" wide where you can't wash your hands without getting water all over yourselves. Better yet, lets fly on this bird for 6+ hours.

Have not direct data, In a very rough calculation, a single plane, flying for 10 hours a day will do, 10 hour/day * 500 miles/hr * 365 days / year -- 1.8 million miles / year.
10-12 flight hours a day seems to be about what UA gets from its 737 fleet.
So it would not be unreasonable the MAX fleet had more more than >500 million miles before it was grounded
The fleet size however grew from 1 to 350+ over that two years. Your figure is about right if conservative (the in flight time for a narrow body is greater than 10 hours, and the plane is off a few days a year). But to round it, lets just say 2MM/year per frame. Assume 200 frames for two years then the MAX will have flown about 800MM. Cars over that amount of mileage would have had under 10 fatalities. The MAX had 36 times that. So the MAX is roughly 3600% more dangerous than driving your car...

Originally Posted by jsloan
Another crash of the MAX would likely bankrupt the company. Even if someone had this mindset in the first place -- and I'm not saying that I agree that anyone did -- it must be beyond obvious now that the only profitable strategy is a MAX that is as safe as they can possibly make it. If you truly have the mindset that BA management is purely motivated by profit, logically you should be preferentially booking toward the MAX, not away from it.

Again, not agreeing with you, but if you're correct, you're now saying that you trust the agencies that delegated their responsibility to the FAA? How does that show any more regard for the flying public than the FAA allegedly delegating their responsibility to Boeing?
I agree, another MAX crash that is related in any way to a design flaw in the plane would bankrupt Boeing. It would not only kill off narrowbody sales, but likely force Boeing to pay such large compensation or even buy back and scrap the plane, and it would damage the brand with airlines so as to impact wide body sales as well given the problems Boeing also had with the 787. But as noted in italics, I think ANY issue would kill Boeing. E.g. problem with the jury rigged landing gear on the MAX10, some other flight control problem? Same result, it does not need to be just a MCAS issue.

The problem I have with your theory is one "inconvenient" fact. Boeing rushed forward, announced they had a fix, MAX was going to fly this summer. So we all should be really happy, best airframer in the world (rah! rah!) they are on the case. Well on June 26, 2019 it came out that the FAA found another flaw in the control system. https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...4ad_story.html

Boeing did not find this - THE FAA FOUND IT. I gotta say, it is laughable to me to suggest that Boeing is so careful, and the plane will be so fly specked by Boeing, that the current delay (from this summer to it looks like this spring) is not the result of a flaw that Boeing's engineers discovered, but rather something some FAA test pilots found.

What this suggests to me is that Boeing has not learned it's lessons in any respect, and even after two crashes was driven by profits (get it back in the air, asap) NOT SAFETY. It appears that the "fly specking" of the MAX is whatever the FAA and other regulatory agencies manage to catch. One assumes that the manufacter puts safety first, and would care about bankruptcy inducing events repeating themselves, alas Boeing has not - so far - acted like it got that message. And that the CEO was touting publically a return to service this December, and that the head of the FAA has to send out a memo to staff saying they were not to feel or respond to pressure to clear the MAX, suggests that Boeing is not to be trusted in any way, shape or form.

So given the choice of flying on an aircraft manufactured by a company that puts safety as the primary and secondary principle, over profit (airbus, Bombardier) and a manufacturer that thinks that getting to market quickly and maximizing profit - aided by regulatory capture to reduce the need for careful and expensive design and testing (Boeing, Comac, Irkut) I am going with the first every time.

Sorry to say it, but this is what Boeing has come to. And that United has bailed on Boeing (ordering 50 a321xlr) show that even companies long loyal to Boeing are having second thoughts....

Last edited by spin88; Dec 6, 2019 at 10:27 am
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:24 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
I think some people are MASSIVELY over-estimating the awareness of the general public in which aircraft they fly on. I am a leader in a local ski club and we have about 700-800 travelers per year. Very few people have asked if our flights would be on a MAX and it is usually phrased as "are we flying on the plane that had all those problems?" They don't know the difference between a NG, MAX or A320. Outside of avgeeks and FT most people simply aren't aware.

When the MAX is recertified and enters service it will be in the news cycle for sure....until it is surpassed by the next winter storm, Trump tweet or celebrity breakup. The news cycle moves fast and some plane returning to service isn't exactly breaking news.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by st3
I think some people are MASSIVELY over-estimating the awareness of the general public in which aircraft they fly on. I am a leader in a local ski club and we have about 700-800 travelers per year. Very few people have asked if our flights would be on a MAX and it is usually phrased as "are we flying on the plane that had all those problems?" They don't know the difference between a NG, MAX or A320. Outside of avgeeks and FT most people simply aren't aware.

When the MAX is recertified and enters service it will be in the news cycle for sure....until it is surpassed by the next winter storm, Trump tweet or celebrity breakup. The news cycle moves fast and some plane returning to service isn't exactly breaking news.
Well when the MAX goes back into service I will not be flying it as you well know. I will also be asking my family when they fly what aircraft is scheduled. The lives of my family members are too precious to me and I would never, ever forgive myself if something happened to them on a MAX and I had not voiced my concerns.

I do not believe Boeing is watching out for the flying pax, I believe the management at Boeing are looking out for the quarterly results. I believe Boeing makes a cost/benefit analysis (as do other OEMs) else you would have every safety feature known and an aircraft no one could afford. I believe Boeing made a decision in regard to the aircraft that was the cost/benefit of developing a new aircraft from scratch vs reengineering an existing frame.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Not at all. Toyotas were far more prevalent in the general population, use, and buying habits in 2009-2011 (and later) than 737MAX flights and therefore FAR more likely to be a permanent presence in the minds of the general populace. There were more accidents and incidents and they had a much stronger connection to people's everyday lives. How many people then or now even now of, much less think about, the uncontrolled acceleration problems Toyota had? The fact is the general population simply doesn't remember things like this for a long time without being continually reminded and prodded.

FT is an uncommon audience with an uncommon awareness of this aircraft. Here's a simple experiment: next time you're at the airport, just casually wonder aloud (away from airline personnel) what aircraft you're going to get and see if anyone even mentions the MAX. Alternatively, wonder aloud when the 737MAX will be flying (without mentioning why it's currently not) and see if anyone even mentions the current situation, how many confuse the 737-800 or -900 with the MAX, or how many even pay attention.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Business travelers don't pay a whole lot more than leisure travelers to fly these days, but their airplane knowledge tends to be solid, and airlines still value them.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Another fine by the faa....$3.9m for knowingly installing defective wing parts on max and ng 737 planes and lying to the faa about it...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...2b1_story.html

somehow I think the faa is tired of looking like lap dogs for Boeing....may not make it easy to get it back in the air... Kinda makes me wonder what other shoes are left to fall...

but hey, I’m sure Boeing is putting safety over profit....

Last edited by spin88; Dec 7, 2019 at 12:40 am
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by spin88
Another fine by the faa....$3.9m for knowingly installing defective wing parts on max and ng 737 planes and lying to the faa about it...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...2b1_story.html

somehow I think the faa is tired of looking like lap dogs for Boeing....may not make it easy to get it back in the air... Kinda makes me wonder what other shoes are left to fall...

but hey, I’m sure Boeing is putting safety over profit....
Some context for the headline accusations are needed. By signing quality paperwork at delivery, an OEM certifies all aspects of the plane meet its standards. If, at some point, it becomes known that a part is deficient, the regulator can claim that the OEM lied about the quality of the aircraft. Any lawyer should be able to understand the difference between and act of omission and the government’s skill at catching errors in disclosures.

The relatively small size of the penalty for the large number of occurrences would indicate the FAA did not determine Boeing’s action to be willful.

Boeing paid $12M in 2015.

Southwest has been fined $10M+ on several occasions for a handful of deficiencies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.