Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
QRD - UA's doing three things in 2021 for status:
  1. Reduction in "normal" pre-COVID thresholds,
  2. PQP grant based on status at YE2020,
  3. First 3 etickets flown in Q1 2021 earn a 50% (General member, min 150 / max 1,000 per eticket) or 100% PQP bonus (min 300 / max 1,500 per eticket - UA operated flights only)
UA's also extending all PlusPoint expirations by six (6) months (including those previously extended to 7/31/21).

Requirements for earning 2022 status are:
Silver: 3,000 PQP and 8 PQF, or 3,500 PQP
Gold: 6,000 PQP and 16 PQF, or 7,000 PQP
Platinum: 9,000 PQP and 24 PQF, or 10,000 PQP
1K: 13,500 PQP and 36 PQF, or 15,000 PQP

You get a bonus based on your status level at the end of 2020: (posting early 2021)
Silver: 875 PQP
Gold: 1,750 PQP
Platinum: 2,500 PQP
1K/Global Services: 3,750 PQP

For 2021, credit card earned PQPs can be used in conjunction with the PQF status thresholds (up to including 1K), but not the 1K PQP-only thresholds.

Responses to posted questions

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32814763-post7.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32814962-post22.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32815055-post29.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32815101-post36.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32815583-post73.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32815723-post79.html

https://mileageplusupdates.com/mileageplus/english/covid-19/#accordion-special-offer-details (archived link below)
https://archive.is/VzEMu

Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2020, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Feeling for MP overseas members who have little or nothing to gain from this promo, as many of them simply can not fly UA under current Covid conditions and restrictions.
I would hope that UA will offer them a headstart as well once overseas travel is coming back. Given that, what would overseas fliers deem appropriate?
I have no problems with any promo that UA wishes to run, but I'd argue that it's much the opposite. When you consider the multipliers that are available when traveling partner airlines on discount PE and J fares, an overseas member who is so inclined can rack up PQP much more quickly than a US-based member.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 8:29 am

I, also, “feel” for the U.S. residents who only fly internationally, such as myself (1K). The promo being talked about here does nothing for those of us who only fly internationally, especially to countries that are not allowing U.S. residents to enter as tourists. None of my usual destinations are allowing us in. I haven’t flown at all this year and won’t until these countries open their borders to U.S. residents. Of course, at this point, I don’t blame them for not allowing us in their respective countries.

Even though this promotion does nothing for me, I do think that it was nice of United to offer it. UA Insider has said that at some point they will revisit the MP program and possibly make adjustments as needed. I hope that is the case and will benefit those of us who are U.S. to international flyers.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: AC SE
Feeling for MP overseas members who have little or nothing to gain from this promo, as many of them simply can not fly UA under current Covid conditions and restrictions.
I would hope that UA will offer them a headstart as well once overseas travel is coming back. Given that, what would overseas fliers deem appropriate?
Something like what AC offers where members outside the carrier home country have a lower level of $ spend needed. For top tier 100K status on AC, it's 100K miles and $20K CAD for Canadian residents, or $10K CAD for foreign residents. That recognizes that it's often more difficult to rack up status on a foreign carrier and members may have to make an extra connection, extra customs clearance to transit via the US vs. traveling on their natural/home country carrier.

It's a bit trickier with the PQP, but perhaps something where they keep the flight requirements the same, but have a differentiated PQP requirement (e.g. for 1K it's 36 segments and 13,500 PQP; perhaps a differentiated PQP (say 10-12K PQP) for foreign residents who still meet the flight requirement).
cesco.g likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I, also, “feel” for the U.S. residents who only fly internationally, such as myself (1K). The promo being talked about here does nothing for those of us who only fly internationally, especially to countries that are not allowing U.S. residents to enter as tourists. None of my usual destinations are allowing us in. I haven’t flown at all this year and won’t until these countries open their borders to U.S. residents. Of course, at this point, I don’t blame them for not allowing us in their respective countries.
Go to your non-usual destinations? That is if you feel comfortable flying and want to travel. I am in the same boat but adjusted my travel plans to accommodate the restrictions.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by FLYMSY

Even though this promotion does nothing for me, I do think that it was nice of United to offer it. UA Insider has said that at some point they will revisit the MP program and possibly make adjustments as needed. I hope that is the case and will benefit those of us who are U.S. to international flyers.
Maybe United will do an invitation only 1K status based on past spend. Perhaps if a flyer has spent something like $100K over 5 years they might invite that individual to keep status and pluspoints.
While this would not affect me, I think it would be a valuable marketing bridge to the future.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K , LH SEN
Thanks for your compassion. However, my situation has improved a lot by the new 21 rules. As for the original new rules, I would have requalified for 1K in 2020, since I had a long schedule of long hauls in C class (some regular P, others D) - but even so, only narrowly. Then came the 1500 cap, and I would have come short, or needed extra non-OPM spend.
With the latest rules, a new door is wide open for me as I might profit from all the new topics (excepr for CC), head start, Q1 promo and lower thresholds. So, two (or three) trips in C will do it, and the first may be to the US in Jan/Feb, likely a short notice D ticket. This alone gets me some 7k+ PQP with smart ticketing. And then I am positive that something more might be possible in summer.

So, while I have been disappointed about the original new system (that hit me hard), their latest move might buy me and UA another year. I only hope that I will be able to use the Plus Points somwhow - I mean the old ones in first place - they are the reason why I am with MP at all.

And BTW: I really love the head start for current premiers. That's what others (like LH) do with bonus miles, or others by lower re-quali thresholds as opposed to first time qualification.
cesco.g and JNelson113 like this.

Last edited by NUE_flyer; Nov 17, 2020 at 1:12 pm
Old Nov 19, 2020, 3:14 pm

Thumbs down

The plain language of the notice is clear, even if it's not what UA intended to communicate. I didn't say I was going to DO anything, I'm merely pointing out the discrepancy, this is a forum for such discussions after all.

Originally Posted by Ari
Now you understand. Do you also understand the key tern of the MP program-- that UA makes all the rules and can change them unilaterally?

What is being explained in this thread is that despite literally reading the words in front of you, you are misunderstanding the intent of UA and will be disappointed if you expect them to deliver on your interpretation. That is not necessarily out of malice on their part, just because language can sometimes come out wrong when writing promotional material. But you are being warned by others on this thread that UA will likely stand by their intent, not by what is said in one place somewhere, and you will not have recourse. In other words, you are strongly being advised against planning a year of flying / status around that sentence or two.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 19, 2020 at 3:45 pm Reason: Unneeded escalating comments removed
Old Nov 19, 2020, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mightyduk
The plain language of the notice is clear
Well, so that's the problem. I agree that the language is clear, but we have entirely opposite interpretations of it. I'm forced to concede that it must not be as clear as I had thought.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Exactly. Most intl elites cannot even fly United at the moment even if they wanted to, and certainly doesnt look like Q1/Q2 wont be any different.
gcashin likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Exactly. Most intl elites cannot even fly United at the moment even if they wanted to, and certainly doesnt look like Q1/Q2 wont be any different.
Exactly. Overseas 1K here. I would love to fly United, or anything at all for that matter. I'd even fly on one of those 'flights to nowhere' if I could. But I can not travel internationally until the situation changes, in fact I do not have a single itinerary nor even any flight plans at all through 2021.

I would sure love to fly again, and to see family in the USA again. Someday I will. But maybe not in time to requalify for 1K before my Jan 2022 extension runs out.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 1:40 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
Exactly. Overseas 1K here. I would love to fly United, or anything at all for that matter. I'd even fly on one of those 'flights to nowhere' if I could. But I can not travel internationally until the situation changes, in fact I do not have a single itinerary nor even any flight plans at all through 2021.

I would sure love to fly again, and to see family in the USA again. Someday I will. But maybe not in time to requalify for 1K before my Jan 2022 extension runs out.

One start would be to waive change fees and allow refunds on any bookings for 2021.

Then more people might book now for summer travel, especially international flights.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by exp
...and allow refunds on any bookings for 2021....
Not going to happen, ever. That's what refundable tickets are for. UA is giving a big discount on non-refundable tickets. The ability to cancel and use value later is as far as UA will go on non-refundable tickets.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exp
One start would be to waive change fees and allow refunds on any bookings for 2021.

Then more people might book now for summer travel, especially international flights.
Looks like this might be in the works:

UA will extend BE/International change fee waiver (In response to AA?)
Old Nov 21, 2020, 3:00 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
That's necessary but refund would also be a huge incentive to book now.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by exp
That's necessary but refund would also be a huge incentive to book now.
So would granting GS status with $500 spend. Both have zero chance of happening (w/ non-refundable tickets). You can get a refund if you buy a refundable ticket - not too difficult a concept. By keeping the value for future use (instead of refunding), UA is going to get the revenue one way or another. When you buy a non-refundable ticket, you're giving up a refund in exchange for a cheap ticket. Giving a refund defeats the very essence of the deal. You either buy a refundable ticket or you don't - it's as simple as that. UA (and other airlines) doing away with the change fee is actually a very fair way to approach cancellation of a non-refundable ticket. One doesn't get the refund, but one does get to use the full value.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 21, 2020 at 3:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.