Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What do you think of the recent UA changes in Changes fees?
Good idea: No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual AND No Standby fee/Free SDC all elites
64.35%
Good idea: No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual but NOT No Standby fee/Free SDC all elite
10.87%
Good idea: No Standby fee/Free SDC all elite but NOT No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual
7.83%
Neutral /don’t care about either
13.04%
Don’t like / think either is a good idea
3.91%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 30, 2020, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Latest Update: 23 December 2021:

"Change fees are gone" (change fee waiver): https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/notices.html#changefeesaregone
We've permanently gotten rid of change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. There also won't be change fees for other international travel originating in the U.S. Learn more

For all other standard Economy and premium cabin tickets, change fees are waived through January 31, 2022. Basic Economy tickets can only be changed if they’re issued by December 31, 2021, for travel commencing by December 31, 2021. See terms and conditions
(change fee waiver) Terms and Conditions: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/notices.html#ChangeFeeTerms

Tickets: Applies to standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and January 31, 2022, and Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021.

Changes/Cancellations: Customers with Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, or standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and January 31, 2022, will be permitted to change without paying a change fee. If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no change fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and standard fare tickets may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit. If you purchased your ticket from a third-party agency, please check with the issuing agency for the rules of your ticket. Contract fares such as special bulk fares sold by travel agencies (e.g., opaque) may not be eligible for free changes. Any changes or cancellations must occur prior to ticketed travel date.

Please note: As of August 30, 2020, we no longer have change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for flights within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. We also no longer have change fees for international travel originating in the U.S. For more information visit united.com/changefee.

Fare validity: This applies to all standard fare tickets issued through January 31, 2022, all destinations, all points-of-sale, all travel dates available for sale, provided ticket number starts with 016. It also applies to Basic Economy fare tickets issued through April 30, 2021 or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points of sale, provided the ticket number starts with 016.

Miscellaneous: Fares, fees, rules and offers are subject to change without notice. Seats are capacity-controlled and may not be available on all flights or days. Some fares are nonrefundable except during the first 24 hours after purchase. Other restrictions may apply.

New fine print (1 April 2021)
  • You can change Basic Economy tickets without change fees if the ticket is issued by April 30, 2021,
  • and all other international travel without change fees if the ticket is issued by May 31, 2021.
  • If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit.
Updated 30 Sept 2021
Tickets: Applies to standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and December 31, 2021, and Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021.

Changes/Cancellations: Customers with Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, or standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and December 31, 2021, will be permitted to change without paying a change fee. If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no change fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and standard fare tickets may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit. If you purchased your ticket from a third-party agency, please check with the issuing agency for the rules of your ticket. Contract fares such as special bulk fares sold by travel agencies (e.g., opaque) may not be eligible for free changes. Any changes or cancellations must occur prior to ticketed travel date.

Please note: As of August 30, 2020, we no longer have change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for flights within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. We also no longer have change fees for international travel originating in the U.S. For more information visit united.com/changefee.

Fare validity: This applies to all standard fare tickets issued through December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points-of-sale, all travel dates available for sale, provided ticket number starts with 016. It also applies to Basic Economy fare tickets issued through April 30, 2021 or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points of sale, provided the ticket number starts with 016.

Miscellaneous: Fares, fees, rules and offers are subject to change without notice. Seats are capacity-controlled and may not be available on all flights or days. Some fares are nonrefundable except during the first 24 hours after purchase. Other restrictions may apply.

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
I just went through the process on a post-April 1st itinerary and was issued the new FFC vs ETCs. The agent tried to explain the new FFCs in detail:

The Bad:
1. No more ETC
2. No transferability
3. No combinability
4. Given there is no combinability, there is no more date-pushing (meaning new expiration date is most favorable of combined cert dates)

The Good:
5. Can use multiple towards a single itinerary (up to 10 she said)
6. Can pull from multiple accounts (3 from yours, 3 from spouse), so you don't have to split the locator to use from multiple accounts
7. Can be used on partner itineraries as long as one segment is UA
8. The FFCs show up in the account of the recipient and the booker. So I can see my spouse's FFCs if I booked the itenerary
9. FFCs now show up as a payment method in the app booking flow. For multi-passenger FFCs, both passengers show up!

I can live with all this, in exchange for no change fees, and reclaiming residual!
The fine-print on the change rules:
  1. If the new ticket costs less, the residual value from the old ticket is lost
  2. Multiple cancelled reservations cannot be combined to pay for a more expensive ticket
  3. Strictly U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean only (excludes Canada) and excludes Basic Economy and International flights
    1. Worldwide until Dec 31, 2020
United Airlines Permanently Eliminates Change Fees
Applies to all Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S.;
Airline also announces complimentary standby travel, becomes only U.S. airline that will let all customers in all classes of service fly same-day standby for free
With these new options, United gives more flexibility than any other U.S. carrier when customers' travel plans change
Video(1) Photos(1)

CHICAGO, Aug. 30, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The only thing constant is change and at United Airlines, some of the fees associated with changes related to flying are gone for good. The carrier announced today that it is permanently getting rid of change fees on all standard Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S., effective immediately. And starting on January 1, 2021, any United customer can fly standby for free on a flight departing the day of their travel regardless of the type of ticket or class of service, a first among U.S. carriers, while MileagePlus Premier members can confirm a seat on a different flight on the same day with the same departure and arrival cities as their original ticket if a seat in the same ticket fare class is available.

United is also extending its waiver for new tickets issued through December 31, 2020, to permit unlimited changes with no fee. This policy applies to all ticket types issued after March 3, 2020 and is valid for domestic and international travel. With these improvements, no U.S. airline gives their customers more flexibility when booking – and changing – their travel plans than United Airlines.

"Change is inevitable these days – but it's how we respond to it that matters most. When we hear from customers about where we can improve, getting rid of this fee is often the top request," said Scott Kirby, CEO of United Airlines, in a video message to customers. "Following previous tough times, airlines made difficult decisions to survive, sometimes at the expense of customer service. United Airlines won't be following that same playbook as we come out of this crisis. Instead, we're taking a completely different approach – and looking at new ways to serve our customers better."

The new change fee policy applies to all standard Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S. 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands and customers will not be limited in the number of times they adjust their flights.

Additionally, United is giving customers more flexibility to change their flights on the day of their travel so they can head home if a meeting ends earlier or enjoy a few more hours on vacation. With the ability to list for same-day standby for free, customers will now have an option to take a different flight with the same origin and destination airports as their original itinerary if space is available at departure. This enhanced option will be available to all customers for travel within the U.S. and to and from international destinations beginning on January 1, 2021. Customers who want to switch flights will be able to add themselves to the standby list through United's award-winning mobile app, on united.com or at the airport no later than 30 minutes prior to departure for domestic flights and one hour before departure on international flights.

The carrier is also improving the travel experience for its MileagePlus members including waiving all redeposit fees on award travel for flights changed or cancelled more than 30 days before departure and allowing all MileagePlus Premier members to confirm a different flight on the day of their travel. As a way to thank MileagePlus Premier members for their loyalty, beginning January 1, 2021, all Premier members will be able to confirm a seat for free on a different flight with the same departure and arrival cities as their original ticket. This expanded option will allow MileagePlus Silver members and above to confirm a new seat in the same ticket fare class if space is available. Earlier this year, United announced that it will extend status for MileagePlus Premier and Global Services members through January 2022. United also reduced thresholds for Premier qualification by 50 percent for each status level, to make reaching an even higher status tier easier.

For more information on United's new flexible travel policies, visit https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html.

Related Threads
AA Eliminates Many Change Fees, Other Benefits 31 Aug 2020
Delta to Eliminate Change Fees on Domestic Tickets [Consolidated Thread]
Alaska Eliminates Change Fees (9/1/2020)

UA will extend BE/International change fee waiver (In response to AA?)
Print Wikipost

Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2020, 2:58 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I see this as a benefit. It allows flexibility for when your plans change. The purpose isn't to get a ton of money back if your fare changes.
As is typical in the points/status community, people try and take advantage of every little thing and get unhappy when there isn't a loophole.

My travel plans don't usually have to change, but when they do it's usually for a very important reason. I just need my flight changed not for convenience but out of necessity. I will be relieved to not have to pay $200.

I will enjoy this as long as it lasts and I realize it may go away once things get better for the airlines.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ATLflyer2017
As is typical in the points/status community, people try and take advantage of every little thing and get unhappy when there isn't a loophole.
My distaste has nothing to do with the absence of a loophole.

Originally Posted by ATLflyer2017
My travel plans don't usually have to change, but when they do it's usually for a very important reason. I just need my flight changed not for convenience but out of necessity. I will be relieved to not have to pay $200.
And if you lose $800 in stored value to save $200?

To reiterate -- my concern is the traveler who planned to take the family to Hawaii, found that they couldn't, and is now going to Orlando instead. Oops, they're still paying Hawaii prices. For me personally, I fly enough with UA that I'd probably be fine, as long as I don't mind having my money tied up in UA credits. It's the infrequent traveler, not the "point/status community," that gets hurt by this rule.
SPN Lifer and chicaloca453 like this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 3:27 pm

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html

No change fee scope expanded

You’re traveling within these places:

• Continental U.S.
  • Alaska
  • Hawaii
  • Caribbean
  • Mexico
Still no Canada, and fare diff is still lost is lower
Old Sep 10, 2020, 3:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
And if you lose $800 in stored value to save $200?

To reiterate -- my concern is the traveler who planned to take the family to Hawaii, found that they couldn't, and is now going to Orlando instead. Oops, they're still paying Hawaii prices. For me personally, I fly enough with UA that I'd probably be fine, as long as I don't mind having my money tied up in UA credits. It's the infrequent traveler, not the "point/status community," that gets hurt by this rule.
Yes a possibility but is this really a common situation?

Is it not more common that the same family needing to make a date change and paying $200 per ticket plus fare difference, more likely the case.

(just to pick a nit $800 fare difference between HNL vs MCO is a bit on the extreme end -- difference is probably half that at most)

Understand the objection but in reality this hypothetical infrequent flyer family is more likely than not to be on the winning side of the change.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

(just to pick a nit $800 fare difference between HNL vs MCO is a bit on the extreme end -- difference is probably half that at most)
I haven't paid that kind of airfare ($800) in well over 10 years to/from Hawaii and the mainland. Even walk up fares pre Covid were usually under $400 rt to SFO. EWR fares are often under $500rt. Sure, you want to be here for NYE - you'll pay a price premium, but I doubt many are all of a sudden changing that to Orlando.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes a possibility but is this really a common situation?
Maybe? Southwest and American both seem to think so.

Is it not more common that the same family needing to make a date change and paying $200 per ticket plus fare difference, more likely the case.
Certainly that's what UA wants you to think. But we've fielded several questions/complaints about this under the COVID rules, and I expect it to get worse. One person even called it a "scam." It's a hidden gotcha in a way that the change fee simply wasn't. And, keep in mind, there was a litany of reasons, including illness, where you could get change fees refunded.

Not everyone lives in California. Back when people were actually traveling, I routinely saw ~$1000 RT coach fares from AUS-HNL.

Also, this restriction exists on first/business class tickets also -- so somebody who decided to splurge on lie-flat seats on the new EWR-OGG route could be in for a very unpleasant surprise if they need to change to something else.

Understand the objection but in reality this hypothetical infrequent flyer family is more likely than not to be on the winning side of the change.
Also, I'm assuming that this will eventually, inevitably, roll out to international markets also, when extreme fare differences are much more likely.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We're nitpicking over an extreme edge case. If I book 4 tickets to Hawaii, the most likely change I'm going to make is to change the dates by a couple days one way or another. This policy clearly benefits me for that kind of change.

The 2nd most likely change I'd make is canceling the whole trip without a new plan. That's certainly the situation where AA and other have a better policy with the residual fare, because I'd have the option of booking a couple of different trips to consume the credit. But chances are good I'd just rebook Hawaii later and it'd be about the same fare. I'm still better off than the previous policy.

From the Midwest, Hawaii fares have moderated somewhat now that Southwest flies there. (Although it's still not easy to get *back* from Hawaii on Southwest.) We went in 2018 on a mix of AS and WN for around $550 R/T.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
I'm still better off than the previous policy.
People aren't going to be comparing this to the previous policy. They'll be comparing it to Southwest's (marginally better) and American's (unambiguously better).

There is no way to explain a "no residual value" policy that makes it sound the least bit fair. Even if, on a dollar-per-dollar basis, it is a better deal, it is manifestly unfair. "Sorry, I know we'd sell that ticket to a new customer for $400, and I know we said 'no change fees,' but we're not going to give you any credit back when you apply your $600 ticket toward it."

The only part of the old policy that felt unfair was the requirement to use new money to pay change fees. This is worse, and I really hope UA follow's AA's lead here.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
We're nitpicking over an extreme edge case. If I book 4 tickets to Hawaii, the most likely change I'm going to make is to change the dates by a couple days one way or another. This policy clearly benefits me for that kind of change.

The 2nd most likely change I'd make is canceling the whole trip without a new plan. That's certainly the situation where AA and other have a better policy with the residual fare, because I'd have the option of booking a couple of different trips to consume the credit. But chances are good I'd just rebook Hawaii later and it'd be about the same fare. I'm still better off than the previous policy.

From the Midwest, Hawaii fares have moderated somewhat now that Southwest flies there. (Although it's still not easy to get *back* from Hawaii on Southwest.) We went in 2018 on a mix of AS and WN for around $550 R/T.
Edge case or not, it's a very important nuance and distinction from other airlines for people to be aware of when they book. In other times I might agree that rebooking out a few days might be the most interesting case, but nowadays trips are getting moved season by season. Rebooking that $500 spring break trip for the summer or even the fall low season might well have been $300, and when the numbers/quarantines/etc are still bad rebooking it to December could well be $500 again.

Not making the residual available for a different trip is one thing (though still out of line with industry norms and expectations), but not reapplying that residual to the same ticket being changed again to a higher fare is extremely customer-unfriendly IMO. In any case, I'm in favor of clear disclosure and discussion of these rules so people can understand the risks and tradeoffs that they might not otherwise think about.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
People aren't going to be comparing this to the previous policy. They'll be comparing it to Southwest's (marginally better) and American's (unambiguously better).

There is no way to explain a "no residual value" policy that makes it sound the least bit fair. Even if, on a dollar-per-dollar basis, it is a better deal, it is manifestly unfair. "Sorry, I know we'd sell that ticket to a new customer for $400, and I know we said 'no change fees,' but we're not going to give you any credit back when you apply your $600 ticket toward it."

The only part of the old policy that felt unfair was the requirement to use new money to pay change fees. This is worse, and I really hope UA follow's AA's lead here.
I agree that AA's policy is unambiguously better than United's. The only way for that to not be true is if we later find out that the two carriers decide to use Basic Economy fares very differently, which I doubt will happen.

Hopefully, the rest of the carriers' policies will eventually force UA to make this modification. UA was the first mover, give them credit for that, but the may at some point need to respond to what the market has done since they published their policy.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 10:09 am

People are talking about how this will save them money by not having to pay a change fee on the 1 in 10 trips they have to change, but the way this is going to save me the most money is the ability to buy tickets for trips I'm probably going to go on while they are still cheap.

The way my life works I often plan a trip ~1 month out and then decide "go or no go" ~1 week before, depending on work, weather, and other considerations.

I've noticed when the trip is on WN I buy the tickets 3-6 weeks in advance and 9 times out of 10 I fly as ticked, 1 time in 10 I cancel or move dates. When buying on legacy carriers with extreme change fees, I would wait until 1-2 weeks before and end up paying a fare premium.

(Probably I would have come out slightly ahead buy buying 6 weeks in advance and then eating the change fee occasionally, but that's not how my psychology works.)
Old Sep 11, 2020, 1:04 pm
Suspended

i think the reason UA announced no change fees to Mexico and the Caribbean is a shot at JetBlue for announcing their expansion from EWR to the Caribbean and Mexico. I mean, if I had a choice between UA and B6 and UA has no change fee, I am going with UA
Old Sep 11, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lga31vfr
i think the reason UA announced no change fees to Mexico and the Caribbean is a shot at JetBlue for announcing their expansion from EWR to the Caribbean and Mexico. I mean, if I had a choice between UA and B6 and UA has no change fee, I am going with UA
While that may be part of it I have a feeling it's also a heavily leisure market for UA relative to the rest of the world and leisure travelers tend to be more cost sensitive/aware -- I haven't made it to MX yet but, of all of my trips to the Caribbean they've all been business and I'm usually one of the only (Bermuda, Grand Cayman) if not the only (Jamaica, Bahamas) business traveler in the queue, in fact IIRC, Bahamas' declaration form under reason for visit used to have has something like 5 leisure (Fishing, Wedding, Casino...) options and "Other/Business" as the last choice.

Compare to Canada where I get the impression it's closer to 50/50 if not tilted business (under normal conditions and subject to seasonal variations of course) ditto with Europe and Asia.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
It's mice nuts for most folks.

1. Frequent flyers can easily use it for an upcoming flight of equal or greater value.
2. Infrequent flyers won't care that their $330 flight is now $310 and they're leaving $20 on the table. They're ecstatic they can easily change dates and that they're not incurring the $150 change-fee gut-punch.

Also, if you're making a date change, it's usually close-in. How many times are fares materially cheaper close in...
True, until they get hit by a bigger impact as is more likely nowadays -- that $500 Spring Break peak flight that they have move to a May $250 flight, then when things are still iffy go to change to a July $450 flight...and are stunned to be asked for $200 in new money. That's why it's really important to highlight/disclose the key differences between each airline's policy, so people know and can consider their options and the likelihood of any particular scenario.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by jmastron
True, until they get hit by a bigger impact as is more likely nowadays -- that $500 Spring Break peak flight that they have move to a May $250 flight, then when things are still iffy go to change to a July $450 flight...and are stunned to be asked for $200 in new money. That's why it's really important to highlight/disclose the key differences between each airline's policy, so people know and can consider their options and the likelihood of any particular scenario.
I think it's all moot now. Assuming UA matches Delta's latest change, most of the airlines will be similar -- no change fees, no mileage fees, full residual value credit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.