Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New (2021) UA ticket receipt format issues -- too long, hard to find info, ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2021, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
related threads -- United confirmation / e-receipt email delays
Originally Posted by B747SP
Use this link to search for the receipt via confirmation number and name, and the printout is nicely formatted.

https://www.united.com/en/US/receipts/search
Name needs to be exact match to what is on the ticket including FirstMiddle name format (no space), then worked fine for me. Look at the present receipt and copy that info.

Email solution -- near the bottom of the online itinerary , look for the email receipt

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2021, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Any updates on this? Really frustrating to print out a receipt using the new system. It looked very sloppy when printed out, very low resolution. It almost looked fake. When checking in to Indian airports, they insist upon a print out. The previous one page format was much neater.
totalalkali likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by sgopal2
Any updates on this? Really frustrating to print out a receipt using the new system. It looked very sloppy when printed out, very low resolution. It almost looked fake. When checking in to Indian airports, they insist upon a print out. The previous one page format was much neater.
What is the issue here? The receipt, accessible from the app or on the web looks fine to me.

Also, are you not getting confirmation email at booking?
Old May 26, 2021, 7:14 am

I agree, the new receipt format is fine for swiping view on a phone, but can't be printed easily or submitted for a neat, one-page expense report. It looks like an itinerary, with the emphasis on flight details, rather than a receipt, which should have an emphasis on financial details and information density. I find it's harder to read than the old expert-style receipt which was able to hold all of the ticket information on the first page no matter how long my itinerary was.

Keep in mind that we're talking about receipts not itineraries. I think the email itineraries, which are much more likely to be use and useful on a phone, are perfectly fine. But that format is not OK for a receipt. I'd like to see the old receipt format again.
Old May 26, 2021, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by jpezaris
I agree, the new receipt format is fine for swiping view on a phone, but can't be printed easily or submitted for a neat, one-page expense report. It looks like an itinerary, with the emphasis on flight details, rather than a receipt, which should have an emphasis on financial details and information density. I find it's harder to read than the old expert-style receipt which was able to hold all of the ticket information on the first page no matter how long my itinerary was.

Keep in mind that we're talking about receipts not itineraries. I think the email itineraries, which are much more likely to be use and useful on a phone, are perfectly fine. But that format is not OK for a receipt. I'd like to see the old receipt format again.
The other poster was talking about presentation at Indian airports, where itineraries (confirmations) are accepted. Indian airport personnel don't care about how much you paid (receipt), but they generally want to see a printed (hard) copy.

https://www.united.com/en/us/receipts/search
Old May 26, 2021, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
The other poster was talking about presentation at Indian airports, where itineraries (confirmations) are accepted. Indian airport personnel don't care about how much you paid (receipt), but they generally want to see a printed (hard) copy.
Yes I was talking mainly about Indian airports. The people manning the entrance typically don't speak a lot of English. I took a flight in India last week and the person who looked at my printout almost didn't believe it was real. There are a number of problems with the new receipt format:

1) Low resolution - print out is horrible. Can barely read the font because it is so blurry. The "receipt" prints out over 3 - 4 pages on US letter size page.
2) The PNR is at the top of page in large font
3) Flight details is split between pages 1 and 2
4) Name and DOB of passenger is on the middle of page 2 in tiny font. Blurry and very difficult to read

Trying to show all of this to the Indian security officers behind a plexiglass wall with a print out is comical. I don't like to pull out my phone due to COVID19 risks, and prefer to have a paper print out. A single one page format like the previous receipts were perfect for this. Fumbling through a 3 page print out for something this simple is ridiculous.

For those of you who have not seen what the new "receipts" look like, I'm attaching one from a recent trip of mine (some redacted).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Xyzzy and ARR72 like this.

Last edited by sgopal2; Jun 7, 2021 at 9:09 am
Old May 26, 2021, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by jpezaris

Yeah, I thought Kirby was so interested in being carbon neutral? Why force us to print multiple pages for expense reports when we used to only need to have one, beautifully dense with information, receipt page? I guess UA hates trees.
Old May 26, 2021, 9:03 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Yeah, I thought Kirby was so interested in being carbon neutral? Why force us to print multiple pages for expense reports when we used to only need to have one, beautifully dense with information, receipt page? I guess UA hates trees.
You submit paper receipts? Not pdfs? If so, it is your employer / accounting department that is needs to join the 21st century.
Old May 26, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You submit paper receipts? Not pdfs? If so, it is your employer / accounting department that is needs to join the 21st century.
I work for a multitude of different companies as a contractor and some want paper copies-including the IRS, by the way. Perhaps the IRS should join the 21st century. They will not accept digital records during an audit.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Here is an example of the old style "receipt". It also spanned multiple pages. But all of the legal/fine print was on pages 2-4. The most important information was on page 1. It was very clear. I usually only printed out the first page when going to the airport. This format could fit a family of 4 easily on the first page.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Old-style-redacted.pdf (61.5 KB, 53 views)
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and higher_flyer like this.

Last edited by sgopal2; Jun 7, 2021 at 8:58 am
Old May 26, 2021, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I much prefer the old single page eticket as well. The only thing is it gets out of sync from time to time when tickets are reissued for routing changes. I suppose UA "fixed" our of sync issue by removing this capability.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 10:37 am

Here is an example of the old style "receipt". It also spanned multiple pages. But all of the legal/fine print was on pages 2-4. The most important information was on page 1. It was very clear. I usually only printed out the first page when going to the airport. This format could fit a family of 4 easily on the first page.
I used to scale them down so that everything important was on one page, leaving off the unnecessary legalese. Very handy for proving transit and return ticket status for immigration agents, etc. in various countries.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by zombietooth; May 26, 2021 at 10:44 am
Old May 26, 2021, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Yes I was talking mainly about Indian airports. The people manning the entrance typically don't speak a lot of English. I took a flight in India last week and the person who looked at my printout almost didn't believe it was real. There are a number of problems with the new receipt format:

1) Low resolution - print out is horrible. Can barely read the font because it is so blurry. The "receipt" prints out over 3 - 4 pages on US letter size page.
2) The PNR is at the top of page in large font
3) Flight details is split between pages 1 and 2
4) Name and DOB of passenger is on the middle of page 2 in tiny font. Blurry and very difficult to read

Trying to show all of this to the Indian security officers behind a plexiglass wall with a print out is comical. I don't like to pull out my phone due to COVID19 risks, and prefer to have a paper print out. A single one page format like the previous receipts were perfect for this. Fumbling through a 3 page print out for something this simple is ridiculous.

For those of you who have not seen what the new "receipts" look like, I'm attaching one from a recent trip of mine (some redacted).
That’s the exact print out I used before if I ever needed to show proof of itinerary. I just print out the pages staple them together and give it to whomever want to see it. Never had an issue before.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 5:34 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Is there a way to get the old style receipt, the one with the pricing and the smaller text? Right now when I ask for a receipt, I get more of an itinary than a receipt.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Is there a way to get the old style receipt, the one with the pricing and the smaller text? Right now when I ask for a receipt, I get more of an itinary than a receipt.
Not to my knowledge, though I wish. Everything seems formatted / designed for screens now instead of print.
SPN Lifer and phkc070408 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 8:58 pm

What happened to the view receipt option?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 30, 2021 at 9:21 pm Reason: moved to subject thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.