Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is United trying to pull one over on me re denying a refund on a Z fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is United trying to pull one over on me re denying a refund on a Z fare?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
If the fare is refundable, the difference should be refunded. I've personally done exactly what I suggested here, and I received a refund to my original form of payment for the difference between the original fare and my newly-booked fare.
Well, yes, if it's refundable. :-) My impression was that Z fares, which are discounted Business, are almost never refundable.

Interesting conversation in the thread about CXLFEE/CHGFEE/REFUNDABLE endorsements, and the use of united.com > Advanced Search > Unrestricted fares. I stopped looking at the Unrestricted fares a long time ago because they rarely returned fares I'd be willing to pay. Maybe I need to include that in my toolkit when I start booking non0business travel again.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lori_Q
Well, yes, if it's refundable. :-) My impression was that Z fares, which are discounted Business, are almost never refundable.
:-) As I said earlier in the thread, it depends upon the market. In this particular case, the Z fares appear to be refundable less a cancellation fee, and that's definitely something that I've seen before. There's no hard-and-fast rule linking fare classes to availability; I've seen refundable W fares and non-refundable Y fares, both on UA. (I've even purchased a fully-refundable S fare, domestically).

Originally Posted by Lori_Q
Interesting conversation in the thread about CXLFEE/CHGFEE/REFUNDABLE endorsements, and the use of united.com > Advanced Search > Unrestricted fares. I stopped looking at the Unrestricted fares a long time ago because they rarely returned fares I'd be willing to pay. Maybe I need to include that in my toolkit when I start booking non0business travel again.
Unrestricted is rarely a good deal. For domestic travel, there are some routes where 'flexible' fares are actually quite reasonable, and they tend to be fully refundable (no cancellation fee, no change fee). The S fare I mentioned was one of those -- UA published a differential fare table for that route, where it was $50 more expensive each way than the regular nonrefundable flight with a change fee.

However, for international travel, I think the main point is just to look at the fare rules. Sometimes, even the least-expensive fare has nice refund terms -- generally, UA will match whatever their main competition is in that market. And, of course, a paid service like ExpertFlyer or KVS Tool would allow you to look at all available fares and see if there's one that has the restrictions you want. You can then do a search by fare class, or call a travel agent or the airline directly and book by fare code. (You can use ITA Matrix to make sure that the flight has availability and the fare is applicable to the flights you want.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.