Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will United let you fly to a restricted country, not enter but return to USA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will United let you fly to a restricted country, not enter but return to USA?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by villox
Isn't it obvious? I'm trying to see if there's somewhere I'd be allowed to fly even if I had to turn around and come right back. I'm EWR based. Simply for the purposes of getting on a plane again (I've got a birthday coming up). Yes, domestic is pretty easy, but international would be more exciting.

I'm only about 25% wanting to do this, because is it really worth any risk for such a silly purpose.
I get it. I brought this up in the "next TPAC" thread about a week ago, asking if I could fly to HKG or SIN and then fly back. I was clearly told no. So I guess we wait.

If you want to fly just to get some base miles toward MM status there are some amazing deals out of EWR right now to IAH, FLL, TPA, MCO, LAS. Good luck!
Old Aug 4, 2020, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
You can always just fly to Turkey unless you really just want to turn around in Germany for some reason. If you really want to stop in Germany I'm sure you can transfer there on UA/LH onward to IST. No one will give you any problems doing that.
I've thought about doing that trip myself. The problem is the 9 hour layover in FRA on the outbound trip!
Old Aug 4, 2020, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM
I've thought about doing that trip myself. The problem is the 9 hour layover in FRA on the outbound trip!
True, I didn’t realize LH was down to only 1 daily to IST. There are two earlier TK flights if you’re willing to endure the dismal service on TK at the moment.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Some suggested going to Turkey, so I would encourage exploring it as a quick turnaround destination of flights are available.

For example, fly UA to an EU airport that would allow American to transit and then find a flight within a reasonable transit time to ISTANBUL.

I was on a business flying from NRT to AMS with a transit through Istanbul on TK in a February while Asia and some part of EU were starting to place travel restrictions, the new airport was nice and quiet. The TK lounge is simply an amazing lounge for long layover. Beautiful shower facilities and nice individual quiet rooms available for sleeping. Real food and abundance selections of drinks available.

Someone suggested SIN up thread with outdated information and irrelevant experience for Covid-19, please ignore it. I know someone was fined and got into trouble under the current travel restriction. SIN has been on my radar since late March for work and personal reasons, and believe me, I tried every possible scenario including consult with embassy in DC and Singapore border control authority. No dice! UA is not even operating a passenger flight to SIN at the moment and with no resumption of flight in sight.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I’m going stir crazy not flying like some, and ironically my non status wife will likely end up with more miles and segments than me. Having said that, I’ve zero desire to go somewhere and have Hawaii change things for return, which they seem to do at the last second. So I’ll stay put for now.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The one thing that concerns me with transiting through a restricted country is IRROPs. What happens if a once a day flight is missed and there are no alternatives? Is a person stuck airside?
Old Aug 4, 2020, 7:33 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Why pay for a round-trip to Germany. More then likely you would forcibly put on a one-way back to US (on government dime?)
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bhunt
Why pay for a round-trip to Germany. More then likely you would forcibly put on a one-way back to US (on government dime?)
True, though on a one way you’d never get on board the a/c. Also for international one way is likely more expensive than RT.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 8:10 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nomad420
I assumed it was for a mileage run fwiw. But agree with much of the above in that I would travel any one of a number of countries that have little to no current travel restrictions. Also, I would think you could do a quick flip at SIN as the airside is extensive (and kind of a fun place) and you could probably even stay in one of the transient hotels there. With no bags I don't see how they would even know what you are doing if you stayed within the transient area/airside. I have stayed there for 24hrs in the past and never even set foot in Singapore proper. Just connected the next day in my case to Bali.
SIN is probably one of the most restrictive places for transit right now; absolutely no transit unless SIA group -> SIA Group and only from certain destinations (not USA)
The best option would be one of the other options discussed on this thread, notably Brazil. You could also do a circle trip through NRT/GUM without much restrictions (if you avoid any overnights) such as EWR-NRT-GUM-HNL-SFO-EWR
Old Aug 4, 2020, 8:15 pm

Does the airline allow it as transit if the connection to a legal country is separately booked, such as on an LCC? Would check-in in the U.S. allow it based on an LCC confirmation printout?
Old Aug 4, 2020, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
SIN is probably one of the most restrictive places for transit right now; absolutely no transit unless SIA group -> SIA Group and only from certain destinations (not USA)
The best option would be one of the other options discussed on this thread, notably Brazil. You could also do a circle trip through NRT/GUM without much restrictions (if you avoid any overnights) such as EWR-NRT-GUM-HNL-SFO-EWR
Crazy! So zero transit through SIN now! ? That has to have killed the business through SIN now. I mean for many airlines it is the hub to asia and beyond! Haven't been there is a over two years and didn't think they would stop transit there, seems overly restrictive but I guess crazy times call for crazy measures.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 8:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Some suggested resources --

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...20-beyond.html especially the wiki

Where US citizens are allowed to travel to this summer (CNN)

General Coronavirus-related travel resources
Old Aug 4, 2020, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
Crazy! So zero transit through SIN now! ? That has to have killed the business through SIN now. I mean for many airlines it is the hub to asia and beyond! Haven't been there is a over two years and didn't think they would stop transit there, seems overly restrictive but I guess crazy times call for crazy measures.
no, you can still do transit only on SQ airline group (SQ scoot silksir) with various restrictions
(Eg initially they only allowed australia-SIN-XYZ one-way transiting at SIN, not even the reverse going into Australia

Now, they allow more country pairs for transit. During transit, you are sequestered in an airside area and not comingled with other passengers. On the flight, you are physically seated away from nontransit passengers as well)

Changi Airport to allow transit on preapproved airlines & routes from June 2
Old Aug 4, 2020, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Someone on FT posted this link: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm
but after reading the above links, perhaps the IATA page is not updated as often.

It would be nice to have a list of current UA INTL flights cross referenced with COVID entry requirements. Ever since they got rid of the timetable, I've tried to use the routemap, but they havent updated that for a while.

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
...You could also do a circle trip through NRT/GUM without much restrictions (if you avoid any overnights) such as EWR-NRT-GUM-HNL-SFO-EWR
Sounds like a perfect trip EWR-NRT-GUM-TKK-PNI-KSA-KWA-MAJ-HNL-SFO-EWR
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 4, 2020 at 10:49 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 4, 2020, 10:58 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by villox
Got it. I guess the answer is no then, if the law won't allow it.

What about this: What if you have two one-way tickets, one with an onward ticket to an allowed third country, but skip the final leg (or cancel once there). Then board a return flight from your transit airport. What then?
I don't suggest anyone contemplate any non-essential travel at the moment.

But.... you raise an interesting question! If a passenger books two separate tickets and intends to fly them as a connection, say, with carry-on only, and the passenger is not allowed entry into the country where the first flights lands (for whatever reason) but is allowed into the second, will the airline allow him to board? I actually do not know, and it may be airline-dependent. I suspect quite a few airlines would deny boarding in this case.

Anyone with experience or first-hand knowledge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.