Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will United let you fly to a restricted country, not enter but return to USA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2020, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS

I know the borders are closed for the purposes of Americans entering Europe or Canada for example. But would it theoretically be possible to say, fly EWR-MUC and immediately turn around and do MUC-EWR? Or EWR-YVR-EWR?

If you stay airside, is it allowed by United (Germany for example states that travel to Germany is allowed for Passengers in Transit.)

Please leave judgements aside as to whether this is a good idea during the pandemic, I'm looking at what will technically be allowed.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by villox
I know the borders are closed for the purposes of Americans entering Europe or Canada for example. But would it theoretically be possible to say, fly EWR-MUC and immediately turn around and do MUC-EWR? Or EWR-YVR-EWR?

If you stay airside, is it allowed by United (Germany for example states that travel to Germany is allowed for Passengers in Transit.)

Please leave judgements aside as to whether this is a good idea during the pandemic, I'm looking at what will technically be allowed.
This is not a transit. This is the turnaround point of your trip - in effect, your destination. You will not be allowed to board if you are not permitted to enter your destination country.
FlyingNone and findark like this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
This is not a transit. This is the turnaround point of your trip - in effect, your destination. A transit means to a third country.
Got it. I guess the answer is no then, if the law won't allow it.

What about this: What if you have two one-way tickets, one with an onward ticket to an allowed third country, but skip the final leg (or cancel once there). Then board a return flight from your transit airport. What then?
Old Aug 4, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K

You can't do a USA-USA in YVR without clearing Canadian customs:
If you are making a USA to USA connection, you MUST pick up your bags and clear Customs
https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/nav...ssenger-guides

So, although you can technically remain airside, you still have to clear Canadian immigration first, and then go through a transit security check, then US pre-clearance (assuming you're departing from US departure hall), before you end up at the US departure hall. If you are somehow allowed to get on a flight to YVR, you would most likely get denied entry to Canada (or you voluntarily withdraw your entry application) - at that point I don't know what would happen - if you have your own ticket, maybe they'll let you take that flight back to the US? Or they put you on the 'next available flight' back to the US on your dime (which could be any airline)

Last edited by kevflyer; Aug 4, 2020 at 2:58 pm
Old Aug 4, 2020, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You might get away with it, you might spend some time in custody before being handed back to UA for return to your origin, or something else. You might be advised that you are no longer welcome in Germany. Lots of permutations.

If you explained what you are trying to accomplish, it would be easier than a series of hypotheticals.
FlyingNone and nomad420 like this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
You might get away with it, you might spend some time in custody before being handed back to UA for return to your origin, or something else. You might be advised that you are no longer welcome in Germany. Lots of permutations.

If you explained what you are trying to accomplish, it would be easier than a series of hypotheticals.
Isn't it obvious? I'm trying to see if there's somewhere I'd be allowed to fly even if I had to turn around and come right back. I'm EWR based. Simply for the purposes of getting on a plane again (I've got a birthday coming up). Yes, domestic is pretty easy, but international would be more exciting.

I'm only about 25% wanting to do this, because is it really worth any risk for such a silly purpose.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You make the judgments.

I have no idea what the potential fine is in Germany, but if it were the reverse, the maximum administrative fine which could be imposed on you is $11,000. Doubt that Germany is radically different.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Isn't it obvious? I'm trying to see if there's somewhere I'd be allowed to fly even if I had to turn around and come right back. I'm EWR based. Simply for the purposes of getting on a plane again (I've got a birthday coming up). Yes, domestic is pretty easy, but international would be more exciting.
There are plenty of countries you can go to. Brazil, Serbia, Maldives, a bunch of Caribbean countries, etc, allow American tourists, some even without a test. So if you really want to just get on a plane, I wouldn't go to Germany or Canada.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Got it. I guess the answer is no then, if the law won't allow it.

What about this: What if you have two one-way tickets, one with an onward ticket to an allowed third country, but skip the final leg (or cancel once there). Then board a return flight from your transit airport. What then?
Then the airline may have the beef against you.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
I'm trying to see if there's somewhere I'd be allowed to fly even if I had to turn around and come right back. I'm EWR based. Simply for the purposes of getting on a plane again (I've got a birthday coming up). Yes, domestic is pretty easy, but international would be more exciting..
I'd suggest Brazil, it's possibly the furthest place you can travel with UA (Dubai or Turkey if UA is not a requirement).
Brazil is open for tourists and the only requirement is medical insurance coverage for the duration of your stay.

You can do EWR-GRU arriving at 6:50am and departing the same day at 9pm, not sure if you'd even need health insurance in this case.
And the Star Alliance lounge in GRU is open 3pm-11pm.

I understand the need of getting on a plane again and will be spending some time in Brazil.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and Dublin_rfk like this.

Last edited by leoo; Aug 5, 2020 at 12:56 am
Old Aug 4, 2020, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by leoo
I'd suggest Brazil, it's possibly the furthest place you can travel with UA (Dubai or Turkey if UA is not a requirement).
Brazil is open for tourists and the only requirement is medical insurance coverage for the duration of your stay.

You can do EWR-GRU arriving at 6:50am and departing the next day at 9pm, not sure if you'd even need health insurance in this case.
And the Star Alliance lounge in GRU is open 3pm-11pm.

I understand the need of getting on a plane again and will be spending some time in Brazil.

hmm, not a bad idea. If only it wasn’t the unconverted 787-9.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
hmm, not a bad idea. If only it wasn’t the unconverted 787-9.
I know, that's indeed disappointing but I believe UA is using the unconverted 787 for most, if not all, international routes at the moment. Cost savings, I guess.
The daily IAH-GRU is also supposed to be operated by the 787 but somedays they switch to a real Polaris plane. Tonight is going to be a converted 787-9.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold

I'm only about 25% wanting to do this, because is it really worth any risk for such a silly purpose.
I assumed it was for a mileage run fwiw. But agree with much of the above in that I would travel any one of a number of countries that have little to no current travel restrictions. Also, I would think you could do a quick flip at SIN as the airside is extensive (and kind of a fun place) and you could probably even stay in one of the transient hotels there. With no bags I don't see how they would even know what you are doing if you stayed within the transient area/airside. I have stayed there for 24hrs in the past and never even set foot in Singapore proper. Just connected the next day in my case to Bali.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

You can always just fly to Turkey unless you really just want to turn around in Germany for some reason. If you really want to stop in Germany I'm sure you can transfer there on UA/LH onward to IST. No one will give you any problems doing that.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
You can always just fly to Turkey unless you really just want to turn around in Germany for some reason. If you really want to stop in Germany I'm sure you can transfer there on UA/LH onward to IST. No one will give you any problems doing that.
Germany allows transit for US citizens in FRA, at least. I would think MUC too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.