Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Surely the demand is exceeding supply

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2020, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
It's one thing to have hourly ORD-LGA, and EWR-LAX service, for example, but when you reduce that to a few token flights, what are you left with to make yourself look appealing?
True, but that frequency is directed toward business travelers. Speaking of the NY metro, I can't even think of any businesses that are substantially in their offices, let alone sending employees back on the road.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Palal
Given that ⅓ of the seats are not occupied, I can venture to guess that carry-on space is also plentiful (bags are free on WN too), so no reason to board first, really.
Overhead space has been plentiful on all the airlines I've flown in the last 3 months.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Been having to do bookings on American because UA has been either sold out or charging 2x as much for economy as AA was charging for first on the same route.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:21 pm

Programs: *wood Marriott P-life, *alliance UA MM, AA MM
The third leg of the triad is plane size (or perhaps # of rows)

Earlier this month, I flew coast to coast with middle seat open ... as committed and a good experience overall. Learned to pack own food for the new United

I received a text the day before return flight from East to West

We're excited to see you on board. We wanted to let you know that we're expecting your United flight xxxx from AAA to BBB to be fairly full. If you'd like to consider other options, you can change your flight with no change fee. Please note that the number of travelers on this flight and others may change.

To view other flight options, go to: https://united.com/travel/
thought fairly full meant all rows, not all seats as we sat six across in the 737 (and as luck would have it, someone else also sitting in the seat, mask not on partial blame to cabin crew on that misdirect and enforcement ). Not a good experience, but doubt that Ill get any survey form (feedback will take the form of looking at other airlines)

Only options were indirect flights and layovers or fly another day when same issue might occur

does the 737 save so much over the 757 that its worth packing the passengers?
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:44 pm

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec
It's really bizarre what UA is doing. I'm out of COS and have flown each week since end of May.
COS-LCH, United wanted me to fly COS-DEN-AUS-LCH.
COS-BOS, United wanted $1400 for coach. AA wanted $1000 for F. Easy decision.
COS-MSY, United's schedule was COS-DEN-IAD-MSY--basically the entire day in airports or airplanes. The real kicker is that there ARE flights from COS-IAH-MSY, but I could only do that by booking individual flights. UA wouldn't even offer the 2-flight option. I can only assume they're just trying to fill planes/routes.

Doing alot more driving and alot more shopping around. UA really shooting themselves in the foot here, as far as I'm concerned. I can only imagine what reward travel is like.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 11:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
After reading the story of American being lauded for "being bold and leading the industry out of the COVID crisis", all I have to say is..... what?!?!

They ARE making a bold bet, but it's kind of like betting 0 or 00 on a roulette wheel. Their daily cash burn is about $70 million per day and they were in by far the worst financial shape of any of the majors pre-COVID. Virtually every analyst said if any of the major airlines didn't make it out of the crisis it would be American. They decided they would double down on their cash drain, keep soft product close to pre-COVID levels, and ramp up service waaaaaaay beyond the competition and hope they can lure enough passengers from the competition to survive.

If they succeed it will be a Hail Mary. If they fail, they'll say to themselves "heck we were going to go belly up anyway, may as well go down swinging". Not exactly a strategy that any of the other majors should copy.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 11:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Today in Senate Hearing, Sen Bernie Sanders and CDC Director Redfield pointedly criticized these pack them in policies, Redfield mentioning AA specific for scorn.

UA is on the wrong side of history here
Old Jul 1, 2020, 4:59 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Travel has already collapsed - 22.4% of people traveling from a year ago is not a recovery. Given states rolling back reopening or pausing reopening - and newly announced quarantines, the bet seems to be a sound one.
Sure, traffic is still way down but perhaps you missed my previous post where I mentioned it has DOUBLED in just one month and theres been no pause in that growth. So, yes, travel is recovering.

I also struggle with this notion that UA only cares about business travel as Ive seen plenty of their ads in the past directed toward leisure travelers. Besides, they didnt make the effort to develop their Basic Economy offering for the business traveler.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
After reading the story of American being lauded for "being bold and leading the industry out of the COVID crisis", all I have to say is..... what?!?!

They ARE making a bold bet, but it's kind of like betting 0 or 00 on a roulette wheel. Their daily cash burn is about $70 million per day and they were in by far the worst financial shape of any of the majors pre-COVID. Virtually every analyst said if any of the major airlines didn't make it out of the crisis it would be American. They decided they would double down on their cash drain, keep soft product close to pre-COVID levels, and ramp up service waaaaaaay beyond the competition and hope they can lure enough passengers from the competition to survive.

If they succeed it will be a Hail Mary. If they fail, they'll say to themselves "heck we were going to go belly up anyway, may as well go down swinging". Not exactly a strategy that any of the other majors should copy.
Weren't those airline cash burn figures estimated back in April when traffic was down around 5% of last year? TSA throughput data indicates traffic has increased by more than 6X since the bottom so I doubt those estimates are still useful. Also, AA isn't luring passengers from the competition. UA simply isn't offering much in the way of opportunities for people to choose them.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
UA is on the wrong side of history here
OT, but so too is Dr. Redfield, or at least the agency he oversees... nevertheless I thought it was a cheap shot against AA.

Weren't those airline cash burn figures estimated back in April when traffic was down around 5% of last year? TSA throughput data indicates traffic has increased by more than 6X since the bottom so I doubt those estimates are still useful. Also, AA isn't luring passengers from the competition. UA simply isn't offering much in the way of opportunities for people to choose them.
Extrapolating from guidance since May, I would guess AA cash burn is in the $40-50m/day range now. UA and Delta should be similar; around $30-40m/day.

Last edited by EWR764; Jul 1, 2020 at 8:12 am
Old Jul 1, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
UA simply isn't offering much in the way of opportunities for people to choose them.
If the UA planes are full - and by most accounts they are - Then UA doesnt have to offer much.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
If the UA planes are full - and by most accounts they are - Then UA doesnt have to offer much.
If that's true then they are losing more market share every single week.

I'll paraphrase Dean Wormer of Animal House: "Fat, dumb and happy while operating just 15% or so of your schedule is no way to go through life, son".
DELee likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
OK, we have pretty much beat this dead horse to a pulp. August schedule:

https://hub.united.com/2020-07-01-un...646305172.html
st3 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
OK, we have pretty much beat this dead horse to a pulp. August schedule:

https://hub.united.com/2020-07-01-un...646305172.html
A little late but better than never. Go for power up.

David
Old Jul 1, 2020, 9:46 am
st3

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by bluedemon211

AA is the only US airline that I believe has already indicated they will take the next round of SHARES money. I guess their plan is to expand the airline on the backs of taxpayers?

If we did a Venn diagram of the airlines with the best prices, emptiest planes, and best service in the current conditions there wouldn't be anyone in the middle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.