Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:14 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
This is fascinating to me, even though I have no plans to take that flight any time soon. Who is paying $20k one way?
Old Mar 21, 2022, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA flat-out breaching their "last seat" guaranty. Which is not footnoted or asterisked in any way.

Not really surprising, I'm afraid, if you've followed the downward trajectory of the MP program.
SPN Lifer, kb1992, blug and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by blug
I messaged them on Messenger just before my SIN-NRT flight took off. Now I'm at NRT and they haven't replied yet.

True, but UA has been charging 250K miles for YN on this route, a decent deal - almost 3cpm, until they zeroed out YN.

This sounds like made up. If "enough revenue seats were sold", then it would be Y0. If they are selling Y, that counts as a seat, and per last seat availability benefit, one should be able to purchase that same seat with miles.

And they've also zeroed out YN, ON and JN on UA858, which has no capacity constraints, until Oct 1st.
Back in January, I redeemed 350K for JN for my cousin. Nice deal at 5cpm+

Actually I see saver XN is available for UA 858 in April, May and June. So are YN and ON.
blug likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by kb1992
Back in January, I redeemed 350K for JN for my cousin. Nice deal at 5cpm+

Actually I see saver XN is available for UA 858 in April, May and June. So are YN and ON.
Last year I occasionally saw XN on UA 857, 35,000 miles for a $5000 economy ticket, 14 cents per mile!

I do feel that there'll be significant loosening of China's inbound travel restrictions later this year, so I would not pay cash for a non-refundable ticket unless you need to travel immediately. China's very quick approval of Pfizer's Paxlovid and the latest developments in Hong Kong are good signs. I think by fall, China will adopt Hong Kong's new quarantine rules (7-days for vaccinated passengers).
Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by boat stuck
Last year I occasionally saw XN on UA 857, 35,000 miles for a $5000 economy ticket, 14 cents per mile!

I do feel that there'll be significant loosening of China's inbound travel restrictions later this year, so I would not pay cash for a non-refundable ticket unless you need to travel immediately. China's very quick approval of Pfizer's Paxlovid and the latest developments in Hong Kong are good signs. I think by fall, China will adopt Hong Kong's new quarantine rules (7-days for vaccinated passengers).
Case counts are absolutely exploding there now, worse than the initial breakout so I would not forecast a loosening of travel restrictions, probably the contrary.

As to the matter at hand, this is clearly a breach of contract, and while UA reserves the right to make changes to the MP program at any time for any reason, it does not absolve their responsibility from coming up with a written policy and proactively sharing it with all call center staff and customers so everyone is on the same page.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
PVG has shut down many of the international flights in/out of PVG from around March 28 to around April 6.
But it looks like UA857/US858 is still flying in to/out of PVG without interruption?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JN is back beginning mid-June. Often at 650K level.

Possibly highest price in UA system.

YN is also back, starting July. 275K miles.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: UA
Flights are capped at 40% (or something similarly low) of seats occupied so no surprise there.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angetenar
Flights are capped at 40% (or something similarly low) of seats occupied so no surprise there.

Actually the 40% cap only applies to April.

Effective May, it goes back to 75%.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by kb1992
Actually the 40% cap only applies to April.

Effective May, it goes back to 75%.
That seems awfully optimistic, does it not?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA flat-out breaching their "last seat" guaranty. Which is not footnoted or asterisked in any way...
Well, United can point at this in their rules, but they should explicitly note in the benefit offering that very select flights might not be available for last-seat award:

"..Members may not be able to obtain all offered benefits or awards or use awards to all destinations or on all flights..."

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 11, 2022 at 11:51 am
Old Apr 11, 2022, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
This is fascinating to me, even though I have no plans to take that flight any time soon. Who is paying $20k one way?
Either rich Chinese really wanting to get home or businesses who really want someone on the ground in China to supervise some component of their company.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Are there complicated visa reasons why any of the myriad other options connecting in other countries for a fraction of the cost don't work?
Old Apr 12, 2022, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
Either rich Chinese really wanting to get home or businesses who really want someone on the ground in China to supervise some component of their company.
My mother returned to China last August; we still have elderly family in China and my grandmother was in ill health, so my mother wanted to spend the winter with her.
Originally Posted by findark
Are there complicated visa reasons why any of the myriad other options connecting in other countries for a fraction of the cost don't work?
For flights to China, as part of the Covid restrictions, you're only allowed to take connecting flights if direct flights don't exist. This means that people in the US, for example, aren't allowed to take a connecting flight into China. The list of requirements to enter the country is quite formidable.
lsquare and narvik like this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by findark
Very complicated COViD test requirements imposed by Chinese government. If one takes SFO-PVG, he/she has to stay at SF area for seven nights before the trip.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.