Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2022, 7:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
OMG 600k one way? That must be a record!!! ...
But it is 3.3 cpm!
Old Mar 20, 2022, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
OMG 600k one way? That must be a record!!!
This award is truly starting to look like AA dynamic pricing.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
This award is truly starting to look like AA dynamic pricing.
It's straight out of the DL playbook.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 8:33 pm

Called back and finally got a competent agent who knew about the “last seat availability benefit” and escalated to a supervisor who spoke to ticketing. 50 minutes later, they said it was due to the limitations and capacity constraints with flights into China and that if enough revenue seats were sold on a particular flight, they were unable to offer the last seat availability benefit for awards. They also said that I was welcome to contact customer service during standard business hours tomorrow to voice any concerns with this.

Not sure I _really_ buy this answer, but at least it's something. Any 1K or GS members impacted by this should probably email 1KVoice and the GS email to voice frustrations.

Also while on the phone, I had reached out to UA chat for another data point. This agent was equally as useless as the first one I had on from the 1K desk.

Thank you! As per checking, booking it with miles are sold out. Flight will be available using money only as of the moment. You may check it instead from time to time since there will be possibility that slots will be open for award booking.
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 9:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I was curious about this, so I called. Waited 30 minutes only to have an incompetent agent say "sometimes we offer flights without award availability." When I explained the last seat availability benefit, he doubled down that some flights are not available as awards. ...
It would not surprise me UA has placed special restrictions on UA857 that lead to the lack of last seat standard award availability. Folks have reported booking awards on the flight but there may be a point UA closes award bookings. Doubtful this was accidental or unintended, so complaining may not be fruitful.
blug and runner450 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 9:53 pm

Called back and finally got a competent agent who knew about the “last seat availability benefit” and escalated to a supervisor who spoke to ticketing. 50 minutes later, they said it was due to the limitations and capacity constraints with flights into China and that if enough revenue seats were sold on a particular flight, they were unable to offer the last seat availability benefit for awards. They also said that I was welcome to contact customer service during standard business hours tomorrow to voice any concerns with this.

Not sure I _really_ buy this answer, but at least it's something. Any 1K or GS members impacted by this should probably email 1KVoice and the GS email to voice frustrations.

Also while on the phone, I had reached out to UA chat for another data point. This agent was equally as useless as the first one I had on from the 1K desk.
The only possible explanation I can think of is that they are trying to protect themselves in the event they land in the penalty box (again). In such cases, they either have to cancel flights or drop the 70% cap to 25%. However, even if this is the case, it should make no difference to them whether they receive $20k or 600k miles. If anyone actually wants to redeem that award, I'm pretty sure they could push it through.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
If anyone actually wants to redeem that award, I'm pretty sure they could push it through.
I would be very curious if a GS member could get space opened up on these flights.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 10:02 pm

I would be very curious if a GS member could get space opened up on these flights.
Anyone should be able to get space opened as long as the "last seat guarantee" remains unambiguous.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 10:04 pm

Anyone should be able to get space opened as long as the "last seat guarantee" remains unambiguous.
I tried (as a 1K) as an investigation for this thread. The agent and supervisor would not budge. They said they cannot honor that benefit on this route due to the restrictions mentioned.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 10:08 pm

I tried (as a 1K) as an investigation for this thread. The agent and supervisor would not budge. They said they cannot honor that benefit on this route due to the restrictions mentioned.
Did you have 600k miles in your account that you were prepared to set on fire? Did you mention that the policy makes no mention of exceptions?
Old Mar 20, 2022, 10:12 pm

Did you have 600k miles in your account that you were prepared to set on fire? Did you mention that the policy makes no mention of exceptions?
I had enough for economy, sadly not rolling in miles like I used to for a 600k J ticket.

The agent mentioned that the page on last seat availability says: “Awards have limited availability and are subject to capacity controls.”

I didn’t push harder since she seemed to want to push me to customer service for any further answers. I tried, maybe you will have better luck.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 10:26 pm

I had enough for economy, sadly not rolling in miles like I used to for a 600k J ticket.

The agent mentioned that the page on last seat availability says: “Awards have limited availability and are subject to capacity controls.”

I didn’t push harder since she seemed to want to push me to customer service for any further answers. I tried, maybe you will have better luck.
Thanks, but as long as US-China fares remain at current levels, I plan on taking a Thailand detour on my next trip back (I've already talked with the consulate there about how to get a green code from them).
blug likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by blug
Since a few days ago there has been zero JN, ON or YN inventory on UA857. Doesn't this directly violate the last seat availability promise?

​​​​​​
There are many dates with J9 JN0 Y9 YN0. E.g. 9/18/2022. Searching awards on SFO-PVG returns absolutely nothing throughout the schedule.

This is new. I also noticed.

UA has inflated SFO-PVG redemption rate to 250K in Y, 400K in Premium Y, and 600K in J.

But not offering any award inventory? Never seen that before.

Originally Posted by narvik
You're talking about the single most difficult route in the world right now. E is commonly U$8'000.00 and J U$20'000.00 one-way. I also think they're still flying it at 70% cap, no?
75% cap, actually for all inbound flights to China, imposed by CAAC.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I wasn't sure UA still made this promise, but here it is:

Mileage Plus Award Travel

Have you tried calling UA and asking to book the flight with miles? Ultimately, not sure how meaningful the promise is, when they can just charge 10 million miles for the flight. Dynamic pricing has changed (ruined) everything.
It's straight out of the DL playbook.
DL has been the devil of all. UA just copied all FF unfriendly policies from DL.

Mileage earning based on PQD, elite qualification based on dollars, removing award charts, etc.

I called GS desk two months ago about this. I was told: last seat benefit is not applicable on UA 857.

Not sure if any complaint would go anywhere.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It would not surprise me UA has placed special restrictions on UA857 that lead to the lack of last seat standard award availability. Folks have reported booking awards on the flight but there may be a point UA closes award bookings. Doubtful this was accidental or unintended, so complaining may not be fruitful.
This is exactly what happened.
SPN Lifer and blug like this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 2:08 am

Programs: UA Silver
Have you tried calling UA and asking to book the flight with miles?
I messaged them on Messenger just before my SIN-NRT flight took off. Now I'm at NRT and they haven't replied yet.

Ultimately, not sure how meaningful the promise is, when they can just charge 10 million miles for the flight. Dynamic pricing has changed (ruined) everything.
True, but UA has been charging 250K miles for YN on this route, a decent deal - almost 3cpm, until they zeroed out YN.

50 minutes later, they said it was due to the limitations and capacity constraints with flights into China and that if enough revenue seats were sold on a particular flight, they were unable to offer the last seat availability benefit for awards.
This sounds like made up. If "enough revenue seats were sold", then it would be Y0. If they are selling Y, that counts as a seat, and per last seat availability benefit, one should be able to purchase that same seat with miles.

And they've also zeroed out YN, ON and JN on UA858, which has no capacity constraints, until Oct 1st.

Last edited by blug; Mar 21, 2022 at 2:26 am
Old Mar 21, 2022, 5:34 am

And they've also zeroed out YN, ON and JN on UA858, which has no capacity constraints, until Oct 1st.
This is the part I got frustrated with UA as UA 858 has no capacity constraints, not subjective to any Covid related cancellation policy, and it’s operating normally for the past two years. But still, they introduced blackout dates to the peak summer season. I reached out to 1K voice but they referred me to the terms and conditions where UA can add blackout dates at any time…

Another issue I see is that UA can now just cancel the existing award reservations when there are schedule changes or cancellations as they will need YN to rebook people, but it has been zeroed out.

Anyhow, I would be more okay if they issue a memo say we temporarily suspend the award redemption feature for certain flights (like SIA did when they suspended partners award booking), instead of playing the terms and conditions in the exception.

I see this is a move towards programs like ANA and SIA and the revenue can use this as an experiment for other peak seasons and flights with high demands. After all, they zeroed out award spaces as the cash prices are high.
blug and narvik like this.

Last edited by ysu92; Mar 21, 2022 at 5:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.