Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2022, 1:40 pm

Just got notified that the flight for my award reservation PVG-LAX on UA199 13 DEC 2022 has been canceled.
What options do I have here? Is United able to route me on another carrier? Am I stuck trying to find a flight on UA metal?
Old Sep 15, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hur88
Just got notified that the flight for my award reservation PVG-LAX on UA199 13 DEC 2022 has been canceled.
What options do I have here? Is United able to route me on another carrier? Am I stuck trying to find a flight on UA metal?
PVG-SFO-LAX on UA is your only option. If you can find award tickets on other carriers, UA will change it for you (probably with more miles). They will change your reservation in a few minutes.
Good luck.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
PVG-SFO-LAX on UA is your only option. If you can find award tickets on other carriers, UA will change it for you (probably with more miles). They will change your reservation in a few minutes.
Good luck.
Can't seem to find any PVG-SFO at all in December, even for cash.
Is it still scheduled or has it completely sold out at this point?
Old Sep 15, 2022, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
There is PVG-(ICN)-YVR-LAX economy (X) award tickets on AC a few days earlier if that works for you.
Call UA to insist on PVG-SFO-LAX. You (agent) may need to talk to a supervisor/support person if the agent cannot help you.
Good luck.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
No way it's sold out. PVG-SFO most flights have lots of empty seats.

At 6pm last night, UA released lot of XN tickets at 35K miles for SFO-PVG. I grabbed few of them. Will upgrade using PP.

I also saw $2K fares on many dates. Normal fare is $6K-$8K. I also booked one for a friend.

One hour later, these fares totally disappeared. In fact, UA shut down 857/858 sales for Nov.-Jan.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
On the schedule but inventory is blocked after 27-Oct-22.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Life Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kb1992
No way it's sold out. PVG-SFO most flights have lots of empty seats.

At 6pm last night, UA released lot of XN tickets at 35K miles for SFO-PVG. I grabbed few of them. Will upgrade using PP.

I also saw $2K fares on many dates. Normal fare is $6K-$8K. I also booked one for a friend.

One hour later, these fares totally disappeared. In fact, UA shut down 857/858 sales for Nov.-Jan.
I am trying to figure it out with United to see what happened to my reservation in Dec on that route, it does seem that United cancelled all the "direct" flights between PVG and SFO
Old Sep 15, 2022, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fishleafer
I am trying to figure it out with United to see what happened to my reservation in Dec on that route, it does seem that United cancelled all the "direct" flights between PVG and SFO
Not really.

UA just zeroed out the inventory for Dec. flights between PVG and SFO to fix the bug that released insanely cheap fares last night.

These flights will be back for sale in a day or two.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 4:12 pm

Not really.

UA just zeroed out the inventory for Dec. flights between PVG and SFO to fix the bug that released insanely cheap fares last night.

These flights will be back for sale in a day or two.
Thanks, that's really assuring. I just called United, and the agent is 100% no clue to what happened, and knows absolutely nothing other than just telling me it seems that there are no more flights in his system either.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, that's really assuring. I just called United, and the agent is 100% no clue to what happened, and knows absolutely nothing other than just telling me it seems that there are no more flights in his system either.
These flights are definitely not canceled.

My friends have multiple tickets for Dec and Jan. These reservations are all good and they can see them from UA app.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 4:57 pm

These flights are definitely not canceled.

My friends have multiple tickets for Dec and Jan. These reservations are all good and they can see them from UA app.
I did get emails from UA that those flights were cancelled and wanted me to rebook and such. I am assuming that those are automatically generated emails after the tickets were pulled from the system?
Old Sep 15, 2022, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did get emails from UA that those flights were cancelled and wanted me to rebook and such. I am assuming that those are automatically generated emails after the tickets were pulled from the system?
OK let me clarify: 857/858 are definitely not canceled.

If you booked LAX/EWR/ORD-PVG for Dec. then these flights were "ghost" flights that never meant to actually operate. It's just a money grab tactic by the airline.

Then you re-book.....
Old Sep 15, 2022, 5:27 pm

It's just a money grab tactic by the airline.
just curious how it’s a money grab?
Old Sep 15, 2022, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another clarification: UA only runs 857 four days a week. So it's possible that you bought a Tuesday ticket SFO-PVG that ended up being canceled.

Originally Posted by runner450
They sell lots of tickets on flights that never would run. In this case, CAAC has limited UA's service to China to only 4 weekly flights.

UA knew this, yet they still put 28 weekly flights to China in their schedule. They pocket the money, and cancel the flights. They give you credits for future travel and hope you don't ask a refund.

AA/DL do this too.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by runner450
If they take $5,000 from you for a product that they are unable to offer, this constitutes a "money grab".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.