Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2020, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
I have flown 136 domestic segments on UA this year with roughly 100 since last March. No changes in frequency planned for this FF. Gotta keep hustling and making the $$$

I feel a lot better with the recent studies that classify flying as a low-risk activity.
I just crossed 100K miles with UA this year (+ 25K on AA) and I am happy with the airline preventative measures. I see noses out on every flight but it's evidently not spreading on airlines significantly. I've done 5 flights this week and every flight was full, so there must be lots of people like me that have to travel for work or, are fed up with being shut in.

I was in Yellowstone hiking last week, where they just set a new all-time record for the coldest temp in OCT at -20 F on the 26th (see here: https://xlcountry.com/sw-montana-dom...d-list-monday/ ), and some of the trails were just jammed with folks, even though there were no campsites or accommodations available in the park, and all of the visitor centers were closed except for the one at "Old Faithful".
Fly fishermen were everywhere in the park as well. My casual observation is that people are traveling like crazy, and using air travel to get there.
SPN Lifer and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Wonder how much long DL will hold out with WN and AS abandoning the "blocked seat" concept.
I think B6 ends after Thanksgiving, too. DL is official until January 6, and likely longer.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I think B6 ends after Thanksgiving, too. DL is official until January 6, and likely longer.
Why likely longer - are they having that much problems with bookings? They looked to struggle the most financially past 2 quarters - in my opinion need to do something to stem the losses.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Why likely longer - are they having that much problems with bookings? They looked to struggle the most financially past 2 quarters - in my opinion need to do something to stem the losses.
Based on statements by their CEO. He indicates/implies that the higher ticket prices they're charging is offsetting, somewhat, the empty middle seats.

https://www.businessinsider.com/delt...21-ceo-2020-10
A recent survey found that travelers are willing to pay up to 17% more to fly on airlines that block middle seats.

An examination of the Delta's finances following the second-quarter earnings results supported this, showing that passengers were willing to pay more to fly on Delta even though fares were higher with the middle seats blocked. The airline's Passenger Revenue per Available Seat Mile – which indicates how much revenue Delta earns from each passenger it flies – was only slightly less than United in the second quarter, despite the large reduction in Delta's capacity compared to United, as reported by Business Insider's David Slotnick.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Based on statements by their CEO. He indicates/implies that the higher ticket prices they're charging is offsetting, somewhat, the empty middle seats.

https://www.businessinsider.com/delt...21-ceo-2020-10
You need way more than a 17% premium if you want to take 1/3 of seats out of the market and be competitive. I’m sitting on a 100% full LAS-SFO flight as I write this - and it wasn’t cheap.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You need way more than a 17% premium if you want to take 1/3 of seats out of the market and be competitive. I’m sitting on a 100% full LAS-SFO flight as I write this - and it wasn’t cheap.
Well, OK then. Meanwhile.... I continue to prefer a connection on DL with a middle seat or adjacent seat empty over a nonstop on UA packed to the gills.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe because of PR? For the flights I've taken post covid, Delta has priced out more expensive and more than I am willing to pay even with better flight times..
Old Nov 1, 2020, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
Maybe because of PR? For the flights I've taken post covid, Delta has priced out more expensive and more than I am willing to pay even with better flight times..
We will have to see if that PR pans out. Losing Billions more than your peers is often not a recipe for success.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:57 am
RNE

Originally Posted by RNE
We take our nephews on vacation as a high school graduation gift. They may choose any destination (in the U.S.)*. The latest nephew (the 4th of 5) will graduate in 2021. So we will have to book flights with UA for his trip at some point in the coming months.

* Nephew 1 chose NYC. Nephew 2 picked LA. Nephew 3 (the savviest of the bunch) selected Hawaii. No clue where 4 wants to go, nor 5 for that matter.
Nephew 4 chose the Grand Canyon. We flew to PHX.
Nephew 5 chose Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. We flew to FAT.

RNE, all done.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
Nephew 4 chose the Grand Canyon. We flew to PHX.
Nephew 5 chose Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. We flew to FAT.

RNE, all done.
You're lucky I'm not your nephew... I've always wanted to go to Pago Pago...
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.