Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 6:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TomMM
At least UA isn't charging a fee for a passenger to sit next to an empty middle seat like Frontier:
UA has had this option for years
How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

And UA is not presently guaranteeing empty middles
Old May 5, 2020, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA has had this option for years
How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

And UA is not presently guaranteeing empty middles
Only if you buy it via EXTRASEAT.

David
Old May 7, 2020, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by hockey7711
Here is my flight from SFO-EWR on 2 Jun. Downsized from 777-200 to 738.
I was put in 1A
Below are seatmaps from UA site an Expertflyer

The flight shows J2, are there actually more seats open?
Nice. How do you know if a seat is blocked or actually taken? It looks like neither map tells you. Sometimes, they block my favorite seat. I will see if you can request by calling up the help desk.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
Nice. How do you know if a seat is blocked or actually taken? It looks like neither map tells you. ..
ExpertFlyer is good for distinguishing between taken and blocked seats.
Or other GDS access.
Old May 8, 2020, 12:17 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
Nice. How do you know if a seat is blocked or actually taken? It looks like neither map tells you. Sometimes, they block my favorite seat. I will see if you can request by calling up the help desk.
Sorry, I'm lousy at linking info to my posts but I just stumbled across something. In the latest version of the App on Android, if you go to a seat map for a flight on which you're booked it shows the difference between blocked vs sold seats. It didn't show the difference when trying to book a flight, only on flights where I have a reservation.
Old May 8, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL DM
It seems like there United policy is MUCH worse than Aa and ESPECIALLY Delta. Delta has blocked all middles as well as some windows and aisles, AA won't assign 50% of middles. United flies A319 and 737-700 and just fills them up as tightly as they can. Kind of disappointing, and definitely not competitive.
TEBraniff likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 11:56 pm

Amend thread title: providing masks "but not requiring use like other airlines.."

The title of the thread should clarify that United is not mandating the use of masks. Tens of thousands of lives in the US could have been saved if the country was more aggressive in the use of masks. Who is coughing in the grocery store? One of the few not wearing a mask! Simple measures could have saved the economy. If I have to fly it will be on an airline that mandates that passengers must wear masks. If a person has an active cough, they should not be permitted on the flight. On a United flight last year I took a screen shot of the upgrade list to document the coughing passenger in the event of litigation. The person was coughing without even trying to cover her mouth. How many times have you gotten a cold or the flu after a flight?
Old May 10, 2020, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BF263533
The title of the thread should clarify that United is not mandating the use of masks
They are.

https://hub.united.com/united-corona...ght-attendants

(Emphasis added)
In coordination with the Association of Flight Attendants (AFA) — we were the first major U.S. carrier to require that all flight attendants wear a facial covering to help protect themselves and customers on board our aircraft. That mandate was expanded to include all employees on board and effective May 4, all travelers are required to wear a facial covering on board. We encourage customers to bring their own face coverings, but our customer service agents will be able to provide them if you don't have one when you board our aircraft. Certain customers – such as those who have a medical condition that prevents them from wearing a face covering, those who cannot put on or remove a face covering themselves and small children – will not be required to wear one on board. This added protection aligns with current CDC guidelines and more information can be found here.
Old May 10, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
It seems like row 1 is blocked on every flight now. Why?
Old May 10, 2020, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by eng3
It seems like row 1 is blocked on every flight now. Why?
Every flight I'm looking at has seats available in Row 1 (319, 320, 752, 738, 739, 772). They're only allowing one seat on each side of the airplane to be reserved in F on narrowbodies.
Old May 10, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
People are scared on this flight

Has this been posted from SF press today? Doesn't make me want to fly again anytime soon, even though I miss it terribly.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/SF-doctor-returning-from-helping-in-NY-plane-15259851.php
Old May 10, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Every flight I'm looking at has seats available in Row 1 (319, 320, 752, 738, 739, 772). They're only allowing one seat on each side of the airplane to be reserved in F on narrowbodies.
Every flight I've been in has had 1 empty. Multiple times I've seen people try to move there and the FA turns then away. Even in F when two people got seated next to each other. There fa even said row 1 has to be empty.
Sometimes row 1 shows an empty seat but when I try to select it, it gives an error.
Old May 10, 2020, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It's not really news. There have been plenty of stories and videos of crowded planes.
Old May 10, 2020, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If I hear someone cough, I think about the worst case...
Old May 10, 2020, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No news. There are dozens of stories like this. If air carriers practiced CDC-recommended distancing, e.g. 6', that would mean (in a standard single aisle coach cabin), that there could be one passenger in each window every second row. Thus 2 passengers for 18 seats or "sold out" would be just about 10% of pre-Covid capacity (when many domestic services were running at or about 100%). You figure out the pricing to maintain anywhere near break-even.

So, at least for the time being, the trade off is between CDC guideline safety and price for those who absolutely must fly. For the rest, it is simply a risk tolerance matter.
leoo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.