Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Old Feb 3, 2022, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by mduell
When the feds drop the mask requirement, it seems very likely that AA/WN (from their comments to congress) and DL (they're not even masking at HQ anymore) will follow. Will UA? Is there more business to gain by continuing the requirement than there is to lose?
I can't imagine them sticking around for even a day longer than the government mandate. I think a lot of people on all sides are fed up. The absence of a mandate does NOT preclude people from voluntarily wearing them if they want.

Also I don't think UA wants the bad press that could come with militant enforcement. Especially after UA Breaks Guitars and the Dr. Dao thing.
gmt4, a5un and threecap like this.

Last edited by stupidhead; Feb 3, 2022 at 6:14 am
Old Feb 3, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
This is actually a fascinating question. For the record, I'm strongly anti-mask and gladly remove mine the instant I am not required to wear one in any situation. But I know that there is a very sizable chunk of the population that trends anywhere from mildly to strongly in the other direction

UA *could* make a business decision that they will maintain their own mask requirement in an effort to differentiate themselves from the competition and to appeal to those who would simply feel safer if everyone still had to mask up on board. This would of course have to be weighed against the passengers they'd lose, but I'd be surprised if they're not at least studying it to see what the best option would be. Remember that UA has come out strongest in favor of a vaccine mandate for employees, so there's already precedent for them to take a hard-line view on COVID matters.
SPN Lifer and dilanesp like this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
This is actually a fascinating question. For the record, I'm strongly anti-mask and gladly remove mine the instant I am not required to wear one in any situation. But I know that there is a very sizable chunk of the population that trends anywhere from mildly to strongly in the other direction

UA *could* make a business decision that they will maintain their own mask requirement in an effort to differentiate themselves from the competition and to appeal to those who would simply feel safer if everyone still had to mask up on board. This would of course have to be weighed against the passengers they'd lose, but I'd be surprised if they're not at least studying it to see what the best option would be. Remember that UA has come out strongest in favor of a vaccine mandate for employees, so there's already precedent for them to take a hard-line view on COVID matters.
I'm in that weird cognitively dissonant place with myself where I hate wearing masks for long periods of time (like flying or full-day meetings with clients) but have no problems doing it for a quick trip to the store but I also understand the scientific findings and that at least in theory "my" mask does more for you than it does for me. I tend to be on the more selfish but not totally heartless side which makes "my face, my choice" a position that's a bit harder for me to personally preach.

It wouldn't surprise me if UA stuck with a private mandate if/when the feds let the TSA mandate expire (ala their crew vaccination requirements) but it also wouldn't surprise me if it's gone (perhaps positioned as "encouraged" or "recommended") as soon as everyone else can drop it. With some of United's decision making in the past I could also see any number of harebrained attempts to meet in the middle that would be all but impossible to actually implement and likely as actually effective as nothing at all (among them: Separate "masked" and "unmasked" portions of the cabin ala the old smoking or non; "mask unless proof of vaccination" -- I can already see the torch-bearing flight attendants for that one). Speaking of FA's I think AFA will be the biggest thorn in UA's side on that one and can only hope we don't see in-flight service backslides after finally making progress in the right directions regardless of the fate of masks when UA is able to make that decision themselves.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I see no scenario UA keeps a mask mandate when the Feds drop the mandate - and as mentioned - crew and passengers can choose to wear masks optionally.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also agree that United will drop the mandate. While there are health reasons to keep it (not to mention entertainment value) that some FAs will want to maintain, the violent inability of some to follow the rules creates a real challenge for crews. On every flight these days, the pilot goes out of the way to explain that the mask mandate came from the feds, they don't have any control, and please don't be a jerk.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by dilanesp
+1 Indeed, that's one of the reasons I like the single tray service . It seems especially good to do meal service as quickly as possible given that people take their masks off to eat.
Single tray service has always been available as the "Express" or "Executive" option. Please, UA -- give us the ption of having everything unceremoniously plopped down at once or served at a normal pace.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 3, 2022 at 5:37 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Feb 3, 2022, 9:34 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Single tray service has always been available as the "Express" or "Executive" option. Please, UA -- give us the ption of having everything unceremoniously plopped down at once or served at a normal pace.
Serving everyone at the express rate keeps the masks on longer, which protects passengers and crew. It's the healthier way to go.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Serving everyone at the express rate keeps the masks on longer, which protects passengers and crew. It's the healthier way to go.
I don't buy that - the crew is 100% vaccinated. I don't care one way or another regarding express dining - I do look forward to flying without a mask whenever that might be.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
In J people are already pretty far apart, and the HEPA filters n planes should remove virus particles. I prefer a choice, and proper service. And I do believe in wearing masks.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.