Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA at FRA – Bad UA and Good UA Employees and Good Security Person Thank You's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2020, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Not sure where to post this – so I will post this at UA FF area and I will look for a FRA area to post this as well.

Coming back to the US in mid-January 2020, I was trying to change the flight from FRA to the US. No checked bags. ?PZ class upgrade ticket (using Plus Points from FRA to the US). Due to a mess up, for which I am at fault, I selected flights with about an 8 hour layover at FRA by mistake. There was an earlier available with both fare class used and upgrade seats available. I did not notice this until just before my return trip began. I was told over the phone that the 1K desk could not change anything as 1 leg was on another star alliance partner (despite keeping that leg). So they said try at the airport of origin – where UA has no representation. No luck at point of origin. At the departure area for FRA US bound planes (UA and LH) the UA transfer desk was empty and the LH folks nearby said only UA could assist and that the lack of a UA person at the UA desk was not unusual. At the LH Lounge, they could not assist either. However, they suggested hiking down to the US departure gates and trying to find a UA agent to assist.

The UA folks I asked at multiple gates were utterly not helpful, to say the least.

I was told later on that most were new employees and were not empowered to assist (which begs the question – who is empowered?).

Odette xxxxxx, ICTS / Security Agent was the true hero here. She went well out of her way to assist me, when none of the UA folks helped me. Gold Star !!

She walked me down to the gate for another flight that was a few gates away from the others. She spoke to Mebs ?xxxxk, a UA Supervisor, at Gate Z 13 for FRA DEN Flt 181.

Even though he was busy with the FRA DEN flight, with the kind words from Ms xxxx, he was able to get me on an earlier flight to my destination and in Polaris as well.

These 2 folks deserve Gold Stars. My apologies for not posting this sooner.

I would ask UA to place this note into the personnel files for both of these folks.

Would have been so much nicer if UA actually had other employees doing their job.

From NOLA with love.
Owenc and miamiflyer8 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 22, 2020 at 1:57 pm Reason: Per FT rules, last names of non-executive employees are non allowed
Old Apr 22, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish - are you thinking someone at UA will read this and put something in the personnel file?

Won't happen
Absolute likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish - are you thinking someone at UA will read this and put something in the personnel file?

Won't happen
Seriously. I think he is just trying to express a travel story which happened in January. I for one will take any travel story I can get right now.
Owenc, cesco.g, jquelish12 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by nola1

The UA folks I asked at multiple gates were utterly not helpful, to say the least.

I was told later on that most were new employees and were not empowered to assist (which begs the question – who is empowered?).

Odette xxxxxx, ICTS / Security Agent was the true hero here. She went well out of her way to assist me, when none of the UA folks helped me. Gold Star !!
I actually kind of like UA at FRA. They handle all the check in & boarding, etc. and (good) ICTS handles the security check at the gates and before reaching the counter. (Although that “Additional Customer Services” desk to the right of the Lufthansa Service Centre is always empty )

Some EU Airports have UA agents handling everything, some have UA agents & Swissport/3rd Party agents, and some is completely 3rd party, and frankly, I’d rather have UA control it all, new agents or not.

My understanding is that FRA ATW was outsourced until about two years or so ago (to LH or Fraport) and just in-sourced it recently, which is a good development
meducate likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
United has in the past maintained a staff member in the Z concourse Schengen Lufthansa Senator lounge, upstairs, Business class level to help with Premier member transfers and other challenges. But, with fewer flights and the lounge closed, its very likely that these folks are furloughed.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 4:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sannmann
United has in the past maintained a staff member in the Z concourse Schengen Lufthansa Senator lounge, upstairs, Business class level to help with Premier member transfers and other challenges. ....
They were reported as gone as mid-year 2019
FRA staff/support thinning out
Old Apr 22, 2020, 5:20 pm

One of my favorite United Agents in FRA is this older Irish Lady who often handles the Premier Access/1K Polaris check-in later on in the afternoon. She’s splendid and has always gone out of her way to help me out.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
One of my favorite United Agents in FRA is this older Irish Lady who often handles the Premier Access/1K Polaris check-in later on in the afternoon. She’s splendid and has always gone out of her way to help me out.
Irish hospitality!!
NikoLGA likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately, from what I understand, the majority of new(er) UA employees at FRA will face layoff at the end of June - unless a reasonable number of flights will be back, which just does seem to be in the cards.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Hello Folks:

I was trying to say to UA that the staffing situation at FRA before the COVID issues was poor leading to a bad customer experience.
The hope is that things might change for the better in the future (agree, my Rose colored glasses are on). However, having employees empowered to effectively assist customers is a proper expectation in my view.

I am trying to thank the UA Supervisor who actually assisted me. I think it proper to add my note to his personnel file. How else to say a proper thank you to this person so that his boss will be aware of his great service? Is there someone at UA (at FRA or Corporate Offices in the US) to pass this on to directly?

I am trying to thank the ICTS security agent who also deserves a "Gold Star" for going out of her way to assist me. I think it proper to add my note to her personnel file. I have no idea how to contact ICTS at FRA so her boss will be aware of her invaluable assistance. I hope she still has a job under current COVID circumstances.

Unfortunately, I am tardy in not having written this 3 months ago. No idea about UA functionality at FRA currently, nor ICTS at FRA.
Apologies if names are not supposed to be used in the Forum, but how else to identify folks to compliment them?
If someone at UA is reading this, please let me know if there is a more effective means to proceed.
Further suggestions appreciated. Thank you all in advance
From NOLA with love
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:57 am

Hello Folks:

I was trying to say to UA that the staffing situation at FRA before the COVID issues was poor leading to a bad customer experience.
The hope is that things might change for the better in the future (agree, my Rose colored glasses are on). However, having employees empowered to effectively assist customers is a proper expectation in my view.

I am trying to thank the UA Supervisor who actually assisted me. I think it proper to add my note to his personnel file. How else to say a proper thank you to this person so that his boss will be aware of his great service? Is there someone at UA (at FRA or Corporate Offices in the US) to pass this on to directly?

I am trying to thank the ICTS security agent who also deserves a "Gold Star" for going out of her way to assist me. I think it proper to add my note to her personnel file. I have no idea how to contact ICTS at FRA so her boss will be aware of her invaluable assistance. I hope she still has a job under current COVID circumstances.

Unfortunately, I am tardy in not having written this 3 months ago. No idea about UA functionality at FRA currently, nor ICTS at FRA.
Apologies if names are not supposed to be used in the Forum, but how else to identify folks to compliment them?
If someone at UA is reading this, please let me know if there is a more effective means to proceed.
From NOLA with love
The process for sending a compliment for the UA supervisor is actually quite simple. Send an e-mail to UA customer service complimenting the individual, by name. Request that the individual be given a copy of your e-mail. Customer Service will then forward your e-mail to the individual’s supervisor and to the individual. Your e-mail will also be put in the individual’s personnel file. I know that this is how it works because I’ve done thisMANY times. I’ve had many FAs thank me on subsequent flights. It’ll work the same for your supervisor friend. BTW, since the purpose of the note is to compliment, only briefly, if at all, mention the unpleasantness. If so inclined, you can deal with that in a separate e-mail to United.

As far as the ICTS person in Frankfurt, you’ll have to figure out how to contact ICTS or FRA about this person. Don’t involve United in this matter, it’s not their bailiwick.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

From NOLA with love
If you wish to provide UA feedback, it is best to write directly to UA Customer Support. This forum is independent from UA and such feedback may or may not get to the right person.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
They were reported as gone as mid-year 2019
FRA staff/support thinning out
Back in the day, the UA desk that was upstairs in the Sen lounge was great place to get my LH issued BPs reissued by UA with my Precheck.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Unfortunately, from what I understand, the majority of new(er) UA employees at FRA will face layoff at the end of June - unless a reasonable number of flights will be back, which just does seem to be in the cards.
Is the no-layoffs thru Sept. 30 regulation applicable to international employees? There’s quite a few (at least partially) in-housed stations all over Europe / South America / Asia / Sydney & Auckland
Old Apr 23, 2020, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Thank you folks. I have just contacted UA via:
https://www.united.com/en/us/customercare

Comments from you are appreciated.
I hope they are able to contact the security firm via their station manager or perhaps via a LH colleague at FRA. I assume the higher level folks know each other quite well at the various airports / stations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.