Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Viability / Financial Future due to the COVID-19 Era [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Please do not modify or remove
In recent days a number of threads have started touching on the impacts on UA as a business going forward due to the travel disruption of COVID-19 --- including multiple Viability / Bankruptcy / Bailout discussions. While inconceivable a few months ago, UA (and all commercial airlines) is facing challenges that are uncharted.

This consolidated thread has been created by merging a number of existing threads that trend to address essentially the same subjects.

Some thread guidelines
-- This thread / forum is for discussing UA and the UA traveler, so please focus on UA in these discussions. Other forums exist to discuss other carriers or the industry in general -- we do just UA here.
-- This thread is for discussion of how UA gets from here to its future state.
-- All the standard FT rules apply. We will have a civil, constructive, collegial discussion -- even in these turbulent times.
-- While much of this will play out in the political arena, this forum is not the place for political / OMNI discussions. Please use threads in appropriate forums for that, such as Covid-19 US tax cuts or fiscal stimulus
-- Similarly, discussions of the evils / greed of corporations or other broad societal issues are out of scope, those are for OMNI -- let's stick to discussing UA, its past and its future here
-- Please do not start new threads on these topics in the UA forum. One reason for this consolidated thread was to minimize the redundant posts in separate threads. There is plenty of room in the scope of this thread to cover all aspects of these topics. (Note things like M&A, restructuring, ... would all be in scope).
-- Please once you have laid out your position, do not repetitively re-state that opinion. It is usually a better discussion if many participate vs a few dominating the thread

On behalf of the UA Moderator Team
WineCountryUA

Print Wikipost

UA's Viability / Financial Future due to the COVID-19 Era [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2021, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MileTrek
August and UA had ridiculously high fares because the flight was already 80% full on an E170. If they think they'll have a larger aircraft, they should swap it in immediately because people will book on the cheaper airline
Cant speak for UA fares everywhere, but where I’ve been looking out of SFO, seems like fares go way down after Labor Day. I’ve looked at multiple places like SFO-LAX/SAN/SEA/ORD/CVG/JFK/EWR. As an example, SFO-ORD was looking at ~$500’ish in July/Aug, but down to $250-$300 in Sept/Oct.

wonder if part of it is UA taking longer than others to scale up in the domestic market (I see just 4 SFO-LAX the days I’ve looked in June, for example) leaving the higher pricing due to supply constraint now vs. demand, and then the normal shift to less leisure/more business after summer end, with the additional realization that the business market will continue to be minimal this year.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Cant speak for UA fares everywhere, but where I’ve been looking out of SFO, seems like fares go way down after Labor Day. I’ve looked at multiple places like SFO-LAX/SAN/SEA/ORD/CVG/JFK/EWR. As an example, SFO-ORD was looking at ~$500’ish in July/Aug, but down to $250-$300 in Sept/Oct.

wonder if part of it is UA taking longer than others to scale up in the domestic market (I see just 4 SFO-LAX the days I’ve looked in June, for example) leaving the higher pricing due to supply constraint now vs. demand, and then the normal shift to less leisure/more business after summer end, with the additional realization that the business market will continue to be minimal this year.
Potentially related:
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Looks like the rest of August (and through Sept 7th) was tweaked tonight.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33322010-post3845.html

When they hocus pocus their 15-flights-per-day advertised frequency into the realistic 4-to-5-per day, suddenly the fares all go up.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Cant speak for UA fares everywhere, but where I’ve been looking out of SFO, seems like fares go way down after Labor Day.
UA has not (as of right now) adjusted their fares to go way up after Labor Day...

David
Old Jun 12, 2021, 8:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Make hay while you can.

Suspect there is concern across the industry with post-Labor Day demand. Leisure travel will naturally drop-off and unclear what the levels of domestic business and international travel will be by September. There is still uncertain times ahead for the industry

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 12, 2021 at 8:59 pm
Old Jun 12, 2021, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cant speak for UA fares everywhere, but where I’ve been looking out of SFO, seems like fares go way down after Labor Day.
Originally Posted by DELee
UA has not (as of right now) adjusted their fares to go way up after Labor Day...

David
I take that back. A few weeks ago, was still able to find one-way transcon non-BE prices around $100. Now, none.

Ah well. Perhaps not "way up" but the cheap flights due to no one flying and UA pricing low are not there any more when doing an immediate search.

David
Old Jun 12, 2021, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Suspect there is concern across the industry with post-Labor Day demand. Leisure travel will naturally drop-off and unclear what the levels of domestic business and international travel will be by September. There is still uncertain times ahead for the industry
FA's with decent seniority (25 years) have been told they may go on reserve beginning in September due to the expected lack of business travel.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
I take that back. A few weeks ago, was still able to find one-way transcon non-BE prices around $100. Now, none.

Ah well. Perhaps not "way up" but the cheap flights due to no one flying and UA pricing low are not there any more when doing an immediate search.

David
OW? Or round-trip?

I probably have to adjust my expectations somewhat, being new to SFO-area (arrived last July), and more importantly, a market with some fare/carrier competition. Haven’t been traveling yet since we flew out, but seeing $350 SFO-JFK/EWR for fall, and I thought that was decent given Jul/August prices, and coming from CVG where flights to NY have been $300+ for years.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OW? Or round-trip?

I probably have to adjust my expectations somewhat, being new to SFO-area (arrived last July), and more importantly, a market with some fare/carrier competition. Haven’t been traveling yet since we flew out, but seeing $350 SFO-JFK/EWR for fall, and I thought that was decent given Jul/August prices, and coming from CVG where flights to NY have been $300+ for years.
One way. But I hadn't priced SFO-JFK/EWR. Or ex-SFO. A quick look I see some OW flights a bit more expensive than what I found ex-LAX on at least UA. And, yes, I see the SFO-NYC $350 RT rates on UA.

If I drop the need to fly UA, those prices drop further for flights on AA/B6, DL, AK below UA's $350 RTs.

David
Old Jun 28, 2021, 7:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Major milestone and probably related to improved in-flight F&B and opening more UCs

United Airlines, Inc. ("United"), a wholly-owned subsidiary of United Airlines Holdings, Inc. ("UAL" and, together with United, the "Company"), expects to generate positive adjusted pre-tax income in the month of July 2021, which would be the first month with positive adjusted pre-tax income since January 2020, before the start of the crisis. The COVID-19 pandemic caused the most severe drop in demand for travel in the history of aviation and this expected performance would mark an important financial milestone as the Company is turning its focus to the future of United Airlines.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Major milestone and probably related to improved in-flight F&B and opening more UCs
Hmm, is this before or after they pay the taxpayer back for subsidizing their payroll for the last year and a half?
bocastephen, Repooc17 and gmt4 like this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
Hmm, is this before or after they pay the taxpayer back for subsidizing their payroll for the last year and a half?
Seems like that subsidy is working exactly as intended.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by cmd320
Exactly why UA announced today. Tomorrow, when the massive new aircraft order is announced, they don't want anyone to say a 'money-losing' airline is using gov't funds to purchase new aircraft. Is there risk the gov't won't be paid back, etc, etc, etc... Today's announcement stops that narrative before it starts.

I thought they'd also announce an intent to pay back the gov't loans today, in advance of the order announcement tomorrow, but looks like they're saving that for the quarterly earnings announcement.

​​​​​​
Old Jun 28, 2021, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Positive cash flow? Wake me when any of that actually translates into improving the present product. I'll be well rested I assume.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
I thought they'd also announce an intent to pay back the gov't loans today, in advance of the order announcement tomorrow, but looks like they're saving that for the quarterly earnings announcement.

​​​​​​
Or, more likely, they have absolutely no intention of paying back the loans at all
Old Jun 28, 2021, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by gmt4
Positive cash flow? Wake me when any of that actually translates into improving the present product. I'll be well rested I assume.
I think it's now fair to expect a swift and thorough resumption of service levels given profitability has returned.
cesco.g likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.